RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2006 RX330 Transmission Done at 85k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-13, 02:50 AM
dman00001
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 RX330 Transmission Done at 85k Miles

Thought I'd post for the record my wife's transmission has been having issues with her 2006 RX330. It started with a shudder/hesitation a few months ago when accelerating between 1st and 2nd gear at 10-20 mph. Lexus said this can happen and there was no fix. Recommended disconnecting battery to reset the computer. Recently it started making a loud bang when shifting to reverse when not fully warmed up. The dealer looked at it, tried the ECM flash to see if that would help, then recommended a new transmission for $4,900. We do not have the extended warranty. I asked what they'd offer for trade in and they insulted me with an $8k offer. I guess they take the view that they're sorry it blew up but they'll be happy to sell me a better one at my loss. I talked to the sales manager and he said they could offer us more for a CPO and I should come back to discuss. He said they'd do their best to improve the offer to make us satisfied. Any guidance on how to approach with the dealer (I purchased used at non dealer) or Lexus Corporate to improve our odds? I have an ES350 with 90k which has been great but this RX has been a mess. I had the radiator blow a hole earlier this year which can be a common problem with early models and now the transmission. Thanks for any thoughts!
Old 10-03-13, 05:48 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for your loss. Although it is rare but it does happen. The transmission on my 98 Ford Explorer only ran at 2nd gear when it was about 70K and had to install a rebuilt one 10 years ago. I would go to an independent shop to have a second opinion.
Old 10-03-13, 08:46 AM
dman00001
Rookie

Thanks for your thoughts! I called two independent shops and one would do a rebuild and the other would buy a tranny from Lexus and install it. They were both cheaper than the dealer. No surprise there. I'll consider taking it to one of them for a little more thorough examination while I continue to negotiate a trade in.
Old 10-03-13, 09:23 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

get a new used one... i did this for my ES300 a few months back.

Have a look on car-part.com, since most shops will use them to bring in their "used" parts, LKQ is very reliable and well known. An AWD trans seems to go from 2000-1300$ used, and FWD are even cheaper [you didn't state which model you had].

It sucks since it will cost you closer to 3k to get it done, but it's a tough call.

If they offered you 8k, how much would you be able to get through a private sale as-is? And how much 'more' can you get for it in running condition?
Old 10-03-13, 04:33 PM
runningman
Driver School Candidate

01LEX, I am glad to hear that the transmissions don't cost much.
Old 10-03-13, 05:12 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dman00001
I asked what they'd offer for trade in and they insulted me with an $8k offer.
With the prices for a clean, running, and lower mileage than your 2006 RX330 going for $14K your dealer is not far off the mark and it is not as much an insult as you might think. Of course, this depends on how your RX is equipped.

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Have a look on car-part.com, since most shops will use them to bring in their "used" parts, LKQ is very reliable and well known. An AWD trans seems to go from 2000-1300$ used, and FWD are even cheaper [you didn't state which model you had].
Used, if you can find one, may be a cheaper way to go but even they are expensive. The ones showing from LKQ here in FL show $2300. 01LEXPL, is that a typo in your post about pricing. Was that supposed to read $2000-$2300?

As for reman costs, at least it will come with some type of warranty:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2006/6196.html

Thinking the dealer price is a bit high for the repair. Not an easy job and not sure what the book labor rate shows, but even at $1K for labor you are still well shy of the quote given. Ask about using a reman if available instead of new. Also, check with a few other shops in your area about having a new/reman/used transmission installed to get a range of prices. Even a shop which specializes in transmissions such as AAMCO. Doesn't hurt to ask around and make a few phone calls.

Curious to know if the dealer even dropped the pan for a look.
Old 10-04-13, 02:57 AM
dman00001
Rookie

Thanks all for the feedback. Very helpful. I'll check the links at car-parts.com and Sewell. I have the FWD version. I doubt the dealer dropped the pan but I'll ask them when I go over today. The car still runs well and it may last for several more years, or only several days... no telling. It's not failed at this time but it may be going that direction. The banging while shifting into reverse when cold is the biggest concern but it's not bad when warmed up. I have an appt to look at a few CPO and discuss what improvement then can make on the offer. Bluebook for private sale in GA is around $13-14k but I agree the dealer estimate of $8k for trade is probably fairly close assuming a failed transmission but my position is we should not have had a failed radiator and failed transmission before 85k miles so there are obvious quality issues with this vehicle. We have two Lexus' and expect to stay Lexus customers so I would expect them to offer a trade to a CPO at break even cost to keep a potential long term customer happy. It also gives them the transmission for forensics to understand the failure and keeps me from dumping it to someone else and creating more bad experiences for another Lexus customer. We'll see what happens later and I'll post the update.

Thanks again, D
Old 10-04-13, 05:33 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Forget going to the dealer altogether. You need to go to a true transmission shop and have yours rebuilt. If you're in ATL, you need to find a place like we have here in Nashville - Coleman Taylor Transmission. I am sure one like it exists there. Lexus isnt going to get you a new transmission. It will be a used housing with "new" guts in it. They do not want to pull your transmission and rebuild it - they want to swap the 'new' one in. It is simpler and quicker for them. Or you can be bold and check out the local junk yards for one you can swap out.

Go to someone who specializes in transmission issues.

Last edited by alchemist; 10-04-13 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-04-13, 06:05 AM
Denvermgb
Rookie

I am curious if you have done a lot of trailer towing with your RX? Also, have you completed a transmission flush/fluid change?
Old 10-04-13, 08:11 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Denvermgb
I am curious if you have done a lot of trailer towing with your RX? Also, have you completed a transmission flush/fluid change?

Good questions. ^^^^^^
Old 10-04-13, 09:51 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Used, if you can find one, may be a cheaper way to go but even they are expensive. The ones showing from LKQ here in FL show $2300. 01LEXPL, is that a typo in your post about pricing. Was that supposed to read $2000-$2300?

As for reman costs, at least it will come with some type of warranty:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2006/6196.html

Thinking the dealer price is a bit high for the repair. Not an easy job and not sure what the book labor rate shows, but even at $1K for labor you are still well shy of the quote given. Ask about using a reman if available instead of new. Also, check with a few other shops in your area about having a new/reman/used transmission installed to get a range of prices. Even a shop which specializes in transmissions such as AAMCO. Doesn't hurt to ask around and make a few phone calls.

Curious to know if the dealer even dropped the pan for a look.
Not a typo, the world doesn't revolve around FL and any shop, even in FL would be able to freight one over from NY if they so desire. Have a look on car part you self and see, you don't have to buy the most expensive one, since those are the ones that have 700mi from a highlander.
Old 10-04-13, 10:48 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Not a typo, the world doesn't revolve around FL and any shop, even in FL would be able to freight one over from NY if they so desire. Have a look on car part you self and see, you don't have to buy the most expensive one, since those are the ones that have 700mi from a highlander.
Are you having a bad week?

You need to relax a bit and not take things so personal. If you read my post again you will see that I did not disagree with your premise. The reason why I asked is how you presented the numbers, "2000-1300$," and nothing more. Was wondering if you had meant to present that as "2000-2300$" as it is common to increase left to right and not decrease. Same in Europe, same in Canada. And I only stated that what I saw here in the southeast in the LKQ system were $2300 to give the OP an idea of what was possibly available when talking with the shops in their area.
Old 10-04-13, 11:40 AM
dman00001
Rookie

Originally Posted by Denvermgb
FW drive. Did not do any towing at all. The transmission seemed to slip a tiny bit late last year and I got a transmission service done at the dealer. They said it didn't look like it needed it but I told them what it was doing and asked them to do it anyway. It was better for a few months but then the hesitation/studder at low speeds started a few months ago. The banging when shifting to reverse when cold started a week ago.

Just got back from the dealer and traded in for a 2011 RX350 with 55k miles. Fully loaded CPO in black with 3 year/100k warranty for $31.5k. They ended up giving me $9,500 for mine which was fairly decent considering I did not buy it there. Maybe slightly on the high end price wise but I think it was a fair resolution overall and I got my wife in a newer car with lots more options. Didn't want a newer car right now but what the hey.

Thanks everyone for the input and all the best! D
Old 10-04-13, 12:43 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dman00001
Thanks everyone for the input and all the best! D
Glad to hear that is all behind you now. Be sure to post some pictures over in the 3rd Generation RX forum of the new ride when you have the time.
Old 10-06-13, 03:14 AM
tomit
Rookie

3 year warranty? When did it start?

Tom

Quick Reply: 2006 RX330 Transmission Done at 85k Miles