RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Headlight flickers

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 08:33 AM
ozmanyyy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight flickers

Hi guys,

New owner here, 2005 RX330.

The other night, I thought I noticed the lights flickering. When we got home, the passenger headlight was off. I was going to get a bulb, but when I tried it again the next day, the light actually came on but was flickering and not too bright. Some searching on the forum this morning suggested the ballast may be the culprit. I also see that there's a moisture in the drivers side lens. But, again, from searching, that doesn't seem too uncommon.

I was planning to bring the car in for a couple of minor things next week, for service. I wanted to get an idea of what may be the issue.

Thanks
Oz
Old 10-01-13, 10:22 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, ozmanyyy.

First, it would be good to know what type of headlights you have on your RX. There were three types: halogen, HID and HID w/AFS. If you have headlight washers you have one of the two systems with HID.

Due to problems with water getting into the assembly there have been a number of problems noted over the years here at CL where the ballast and associated parts just rotting away. A somewhat expensive repair if the ballast needs replacing unless you are a DIY and therefore can save something on the labor charges.

Here is a full discussion on the topic:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...post-19-a.html

Last edited by RX330inFL; 10-01-13 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-01-13, 10:57 AM
ozmanyyy
Driver School Candidate

Its definitely HID. AFS is when the lights shift side to side, correct ? If so, then it has that too.

I'll check out the thread too. I don't mind doing some stuff but depends on how much time it will take.

Thanks
oz
Old 10-01-13, 11:11 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the HID bulbs have never been replaced, maybe it overdue? Although, I thought with HID they gradually become dimmer over time?
Old 10-01-13, 11:22 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ozmanyyy
Its definitely HID. AFS is when the lights shift side to side, correct ? If so, then it has that too.

I'll check out the thread too. I don't mind doing some stuff but depends on how much time it will take.

Thanks
oz
Correct. You have a good understanding of what you have there.

It could just be the bulbs. Vehicle is 8-9 years old now depending on its in-service date. However, be prepared for it to be a ballast issue. Have you ever noticed water in either of your headlights after a car wash or heavy rain? I understand you may not have owned your RX long enough to have noticed.
Old 10-01-13, 11:28 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

This should give you an idea on the parts involved. CL members get a further discount from Sewell, however, this is just a reference for now for when you talk to your shop.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X330-2005.html

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X330-2005.html
Old 10-01-13, 11:43 AM
ozmanyyy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Correct. You have a good understanding of what you have there.

It could just be the bulbs. Vehicle is 8-9 years old now depending on its in-service date. However, be prepared for it to be a ballast issue. Have you ever noticed water in either of your headlights after a car wash or heavy rain? I understand you may not have owned your RX long enough to have noticed.
Yeah, I've only had it for a week. But the car was in my family and the bulbs weren't ever changed. I'm sure the condensation is not new though as the car wasn't garaged.

Just to understand though, I assumed that if it was the bulb, that the light would just be out, like most other bulbs ? But reading the responses above, a "bad" bulb could work intermitantly and flicker ?

Thanks
Oz
Old 10-01-13, 12:07 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

"Could" a bad bulb behave in such a manner? Yes, though low probability. Like you said, they usually just go out. Not like they have a filament like an incandescent bulb. If related only to the bulb it would more than likely just be due to a loose or dirty connection. However, that connection problem if caused by the condensation problem over time means that the ballast et. al. may need to be replaced due to the condition of these parts. As the vehicle has been parked outside over the years, perhaps also in the winters of CT and driven with all the salt on the roads, it would not be unreasonable to expect this to be a $$$ repair due to the cost of the parts involved.
Old 10-01-13, 01:48 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ozmanyyy, it sounded like the ballast is the problem. So instead of going back to dealer to get it replace for an expensive price (unless you have warranty that covers it ) get a set of TRS 55watt H11 kit instead for about $120 or so. Factory is only 35Watt H11 hid. You will be much happier and saves you lots of money. A lot less headache down the road.
Old 10-01-13, 03:09 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

ozmanyyy: Have you tried to swap the bulb to see if the problem follows it to the other side? If the problem carries over than its the bulb for sure, if not than it may be a connection or ballast issue. Since your RX330 uses D2S bulbs you can get a Xtreme HID ballast with D2 connectors to replace it inexpensively. Some modification would be involved in order to connect the new ballast to your factory wires, you can wire tap them or splice the wires in.

Hope that helps.

Danny
Old 10-11-13, 04:55 AM
ozmanyyy
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys,

Sorry for the slow response. Anyhow, I already had an appt for the dealer to check this out the day I had posted.

Due to the condensation, they'd recommend swapping out the whole light to guarantee no issues or they could replace the bulb but wouldn't gaurantee that it wouldn't happen again.

The kicker,,, my options (with them) were to spend $2100 for the light swap or $300 for the bulb.

BTW, they did try a new bulb and it still flickered, so the bulb itself isn't the issue.

I did not do either, at this point. I have time as at this point, this is a third vehicle. I want to look into the other options about swapping out a ballast or using one of the kits mentioned above. I have to do some more searching to figure out if there's a write up to see if its something I can tackle.

In any case, if you guys have any tips, I'm open to hearing them.

Thanks much
Oz
Old 10-11-13, 10:31 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow what a rip off from stealership, you can get new OE headlight housing for way less at Sewell, get a kit from TRS and you are done.
Old 10-11-13, 10:59 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A friend of mine who has a 2004 RX330 had a headlight out. He swapped the bulbs and it made no difference, so he bought a used ballast on eBay (cheap). Replacing the ballast solved the problem. BTW, the dealership also wanted to replace the entire headlight $$$$.
Old 10-11-13, 11:10 AM
ozmanyyy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rainbird
A friend of mine who has a 2004 RX330 had a headlight out. He swapped the bulbs and it made no difference, so he bought a used ballast on eBay (cheap). Replacing the ballast solved the problem. BTW, the dealership also wanted to replace the entire headlight $$$$.
I stopped my own local mechanic and ran it by him. He thought the same thing, he said if a bulb doesn't do it, the ballast should. He suggested we drill a few small holes in the lens to let some air circulate so the lens drys itself. I'm a little wary about drilling into glass but he said he's done it more than once for the same reason, replacement's are too expensive.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I've been looking at the links you guys mentioned ( Sewell and TRS ), I just don't know if its something I could do at home.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 10-11-13, 06:04 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

Had a flickering HID light bulb a couple of years ago on my 08 Avalon and it was difinitely the bulb. Just get the bulb number from the owners manual (D2R or D2S or D4 something) and order two from Amazon. The bulbs are made by Philips. Do not buy it from the dealer completely overpriced. BTW, I turned off the AFS and the wife does not even know this feature exist.

08 Avalon Touring
08 RX350 AWD (wife)

Quick Reply: Headlight flickers