RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

This or that.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-13, 12:42 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This or that.....

just Sold 08 Toyota 2WD DCSB V6 08 TRD OR with 36K miles for $22,000 So I am a ash buyer and have decided on two vehicles.(with Acura RDX, Volvo c30 T5 Polstar in the third and fourth place spaces....with 2010 HHR as a palce holder if I cannot decide)

THIS

http://www.mcdanielsautogroup.com/de...-10393561.html

or this

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...ews&listType=3

Pluses to EX:
Does not scream pretension. Under the cache radar which I prefer.
Now grant it this is a Lexus forum AND these two vehicles are not exactly in the same class.
Private seller will take $23,900 (which is only about $2000 above current Manheim Auction prices) Still under Warranty, There aren't 25 of them in every Costco parking lot. ( In fact it would be a stretch to find one) It still has a year of factory warranty, Has all packages except adaptive cruise,
Private seller (Always better than dealer cash deal) Much more visceral driving feel. Much more refined tech. (Toyota still has a cassette deck and no BT streaming or aux inputs) Car has been meticulously services by Infiniti and is a Southern car. Never seen snow, traffic, rough roads,

minuses : Not many around BOTH dealers are 90 miles away.Resale may be challenging, Not many are sold.
No a lot of cargo space. More like a CUV than an SUV. A little harsher sporty ride.

Pluses to Lexus
Reliable, Rides on a cloud, Much more cargo room. Less expensive by $2000 but that seems to be in all the books as well. Likely to have more resale appeal, It's a "Lexus". and Toyota is reliable.
Dealer may drop the price more. Has more Cache if that is important. (not in my case) I don't want people thinking I have anything more than they do. Rather keep my "Rolex" so to speak in the bank unknown and unseen. It is far more practical on many levelst at

Minuses, "Soccer mon" vehicle. not very Masculine looking. (Toyota genuinely odes not have masculine looking vehicles except for a few. Solara and RAV 4 are not two of them. Don't see a lot of guys driving them.. Bland Buick like ride. Don;t care for all the wood on the steering wheel. Interior is much plusher on the Infiniti.

Practical screams Toyota/Lexus........Fun, high tech and reliability dice roll screams lower key Infiniti albeit for $2000 more.

Knowing this is a Lexus Forum I expect to read pro Lexus.

Last edited by JerryT; 09-22-13 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-22-13, 12:57 PM
Denvermgb
Rookie

Have you driven both cars? or the same models to compare? In the end, it will be your car, despite what the forum guys like/dislike.
I like the fact that there are lots of other Lexus RX models on the road - it means that I will probably get parts easier/cheaper, but I perform all maintenance myself, so this is an important factor for me.
If you look at Consumer reports for reliability, the EX has potential problems with brakes and paint/trim, however, this model is a CR "Good Bet." The Lexus does not show any potential problem areas and the RX350 is also a CR Good Bet.
Good luck with your choice(s).
Old 09-22-13, 01:00 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

There has to be reason why you so see so many RX's and not very many EX's, right?

Clearly one is more desirable.

All kidding aside, chose what you are more comfortable with. Drive both! I think you'll find the RX to be much more refined and ride better.
Old 09-22-13, 01:28 PM
dragosdor
Rookie

I own 08RX350 and I'm male in early 30s. After totalling a 2011 WRX I decided for something quiet and soft. Still I put Eibach springs and 19" F Sport wheels. Car moves pretty quick and depending on the color scheme, I would decide if it's too soccer mom or not.
Cons to RX: it is 2003 technology. Yes they revamped the engine to 350 but still regular keyfob, old school looking gauges and controls. But I can confortbly put all my photo gear in the back (I'm a wedding photographer) and my daughter's car seat through the back door without bumping into the paint. That tells me large access, decent room for passengers and cargo is definitely a winner in the practical dept.

While Infiniti might drive more sportier, I would quickly get annoyed by the weird shape and lack of interior room. Consider FX35 but even that one is tight inside.

A high mileage Lexus will always have better resale value than Infiniti.

HOWEVER: your 3rd choice is something I would strongly consider: the new Acura RDX look great inside, has great fuel economy, is a very recent model and their financial programs are some of the best. I would get that instead of everything else. No, it's not in the same budget but if you need to stay in cash purchase then evaluate your daily needs and family or professional status. Kids, wife, cargo needs...
Old 09-22-13, 01:56 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Definitely two different driving experiences, JerryT. The EX is RWD while the RX is FWD. The EX is also smaller and drives smaller to some degree. Few Toyota products are exciting to drive. I like my RX because of the softer ride for the long trips. It also has a very tight turning radius. You also might be able to install a more aggressive set of tires when it comes time for a change to help improve the ride some.

As both have dealerships outside your area, who will be performing your service work? Mostly oil changes for both, but convenience can make a difference.
Old 09-22-13, 02:03 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Originally Posted by dragosdor
I own 08RX350 and I'm male in early 30s. After totalling a 2011 WRX I decided for something quiet and soft. Still I put Eibach springs and 19" F Sport wheels. Car moves pretty quick and depending on the color scheme, I would decide if it's too soccer mom or not.
Cons to RX: it is 2003 technology. Yes they revamped the engine to 350 but still regular keyfob, old school looking gauges and controls. But I can confortbly put all my photo gear in the back (I'm a wedding photographer) and my daughter's car seat through the back door without bumping into the paint. That tells me large access, decent room for passengers and cargo is definitely a winner in the practical dept.

While Infiniti might drive more sportier, I would quickly get annoyed by the weird shape and lack of interior room. Consider FX35 but even that one is tight inside.

A high mileage Lexus will always have better resale value than Infiniti.

HOWEVER: your 3rd choice is something I would strongly consider: the new Acura RDX look great inside, has great fuel economy, is a very recent model and their financial programs are some of the best. I would get that instead of everything else. No, it's not in the same budget but if you need to stay in cash purchase then evaluate your daily needs and family or professional status. Kids, wife, cargo needs...
I agree with the RDX but I have limited my self to the cash I sold the Tacoma for plus another $2000 if necessary. We have not had any payments on anything for years and I feel better holding the titles and deed. Can't take away whats paid for if income stream slows or stops, May eat less, cancel cable etc lol,,,,,. I would get the RDX in a few years when the huge initial depreciation hit has been take by someone else, I like driving $40,000+ vehicles for half that AND holding the titles. Four years seems to be the sweet spot.

I am leaning towards the Infiniti obviously because it is not a common vehicle, does not the cache factor, Sometimes people buy certain things because its "a mee too" kind of thing, but maybe not the best choice ala Harley Davidson. Although Lexus does not have the issues of 110 year old tech.

I drove the turbo RDX and liked it but it was a much harsher ride than the Infiniti.

I think I am more about the sporty aspect than the Buick like ride, I just considered it because it seems like a good deal. They both are. Here in the south AWD is not a popular choice so money is saved there. Being from NJ I know its important up there.

Logic= Lexus
Fun factor/outside the crowd = Infiniti

Last edited by JerryT; 09-26-13 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-22-13, 09:18 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
There has to be reason why you so see so many RX's and not very many EX's, right?

Clearly one is more desirable.

All kidding aside, chose what you are more comfortable with. Drive both! I think you'll find the RX to be much more refined and ride better.
Yeah and Mc Donalds sells more Hamburgers than Ruth Chris ....Harley sells more cruisers than Yamaha...sometimes its the "Jones mee too" thing in play. People love displaying their Key Fobs in the north especially. I was born a Yankee but am a Rebel at heart, LOL
That said I believe Lexus IS a quality vehicle but in this case I am looking at original tires, Carfax indicated one was "repaired" at 7K The rest are 6 years old. There is no Warranty. The way I see it and the way it looks on all the books. The EX35 is worth $3000 more Than the $23,000 they are asking on the retail side and $3000 more wholesale which is $1500 less than I am paying. and has a year left of factory warranty and a lower miles. So a good offer would be $20,500 plus Tax (sales tax on any plane boat car etc is capped at$300 here) which makes private sales worthy propositions.

Plus the Lexus has been sitting for 5 months!! So someone who knows more than I passed on it at an Acura Dealer. But it id worth $20,500 to me. Worth saving $3900. Other than that I would stick with the "road less travelled" I am used to that. I had an HHR..
Old 09-22-13, 09:27 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Definitely two different driving experiences, JerryT. The EX is RWD while the RX is FWD. The EX is also smaller and drives smaller to some degree. Few Toyota products are exciting to drive. I like my RX because of the softer ride for the long trips. It also has a very tight turning radius. You also might be able to install a more aggressive set of tires when it comes time for a change to help improve the ride some.

As both have dealerships outside your area, who will be performing your service work? Mostly oil changes for both, but convenience can make a difference.
I will be tkaing it to Nissan whom I just bought a 2012 RAV 4 from for the wife good people. Service quotes were a lot less expensive than Infiniti. If I have an issue that will cost $300-$400 thats covered under Warranty I probably would pay the Nissan Dealers to fix it rather than drive 200 miles RT,

The thing I would like to find is qa contract Nissan will honor that is exclusionary but not $2000 for 36/36
Infiniti (Circle in NJ) offered 48/48 from TODAY forward for less than $1000. Zero deduct Exclusionary. But I am not sure I want to be chained to an Infiniti dealer 90 miles away. SO I am looking at options. Its already covered another 34 months 33K Power Train,

Any ideas on third party VSCs would be helpful
Old 09-25-13, 07:34 PM
dragosdor
Rookie

Originally Posted by JerryT
I will be tkaing it to Nissan whom I just bought a 2012 RAV 4 from for the wife good people. Service quotes were a lot less expensive than Infiniti. If I have an issue that will cost $300-$400 thats covered under Warranty I probably would pay the Nissan Dealers to fix it rather than drive 200 miles RT,

The thing I would like to find is qa contract Nissan will honor that is exclusionary but not $2000 for 36/36
Infiniti (Circle in NJ) offered 48/48 from TODAY forward for less than $1000. Zero deduct Exclusionary. But I am not sure I want to be chained to an Infiniti dealer 90 miles away. SO I am looking at options. Its already covered another 34 months 33K Power Train,

Any ideas on third party VSCs would be helpful
So did you purchase anything yet?
Old 09-26-13, 09:10 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Originally Posted by dragosdor
So did you purchase anything yet?
Yep...Went down the road less travelled. Infiniti EX35. VERY few of these around. But it's a Hot Rod with all the with great road manners and some practicality, Small yet refined and a technological marvel. The four camera setup is very nice. Put some new Michelin Primacy MXV4 shoes on her today....Stock had to go.
I have never been one to follow the crowd. I actually liked the HHR. I just couldn't be another guy with a Lexus key Fob.

I don't mind having the only EX35 in the Costco parking lot LOL (Counted 7 RX350s). OR perhaps in the entire US. I have never been a "me too" kind of guy. Friends buy Harleys I prefer my Yamaha or the new Indian.

Its a strange car though, Two people actually asked me what it was. Told them it was a Nissan Rogue EX35,

The thing that finally sold me was I really wanted a G37 coupe, The EX35 gives me a good portion of that with a decent helping of practicality, without having to go with a full fledged SUV that would remain empty of adults and kids 95% of the time.or worse...a sedan..

. I had a Tacoma for two and half years and I can't think of anything I put in that truck I could not carry in the EX. IF I need a truck or Van. I'll rent one for a day Get it dirty and drop it off.

But I understand why these don't sell. People like BIG. I remember the 90's Tacomas and 4 Runners. Great narrow smaller sizes. Somewhere along the line vehicles got bloated.Like everything including people. Sometimes bigger is not better, People just have not reached that conclusion judging by the size of the mid sized cars and SUVs nowadays.A 4 Runner today is the same size as a 95 Land Cruiser!

RDX is just too big and I don;t want that third seat. I like being able to fit our cars and the bike behind the EX and still be able to walk the perimeter and get to the cabinets in front. Thats why I wanted a small wheel base CUV. The wife's RAV 4 looks like a 4 Runner next to it LOL

Last edited by JerryT; 09-26-13 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-27-13, 11:22 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

At least you didn't buy the Volvo or the HHR.
Old 09-27-13, 05:06 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Originally Posted by ghuns
At least you didn't buy the Volvo or the HHR.
LOL The Volvo is a kick to drive, I enjoyed test driving one but too small, Would make a great high density urban vehicle though. It can squeeze anywhere. Had a lot of power and a really nice interior. the HHR is just a retro hobby car, BAd thing about the HHR is 1. Chevy, 2. Chevy,

I picked the right one though. A little muscle at just the right size and well enough under the "pretentious radar" I am not one of those guys who will buy a plate frame with the name of the vehicle on it a few inches from where the name of the vehicle is already...

Maybe give the CT200H a roll in a few years,

Last edited by JerryT; 09-27-13 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-27-13, 09:11 PM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JerryT
I don't mind having the only EX35 in the Costco parking lot LOL (Counted 7 RX350s). OR perhaps in the entire US. I have never been a "me too" kind of guy.
Well, you should as well consider that those seven persons might have just made the most logical choice, regardless of whether that could have made them appear "me too" kind of guys or not.
Besides, if it's so important for you not to "follow the crowd" just for the sake of saying you don't, you'd better not mention that you've been at Costco at all...
Old 09-28-13, 08:58 AM
JerryT
Rookie

Originally Posted by spacecraft
Well, you should as well consider that those seven persons might have just made the most logical choice, regardless of whether that could have made them appear "me too" kind of guys or not.
Besides, if it's so important for you not to "follow the crowd" just for the sake of saying you don't, you'd better not mention that you've been at Costco at all...
False equivalency. Besides "The crowd" really shops at WalMart. Those seven people made the logical choice for their needs whether "practical" or not In fact EVERYONE makes what they consider the logical choice for their wants and needs from the guy who buys a Maybach and drives it 2000 miles a year to those who cannot really afford what they want so they elect to make payments forever to drive it , Then there is my former boss who can easily afford a CL Class MB and instead bought the 1st Smart car available around here and waited months for it. His other car is a four year old Chrysler 300 when he needs room to transport more people.

I decided I would spend $24,000 and found two great choices. I chose the vehicle that was two years newer, still under warranty, had much more of the modern technological conveniences I liked. I just could not wrap my head around paying $20K for a vehicle that still had a cassette deck) facing me down. LOL,

I chose the one with the smaller foot print, a far sportier feel about it and is far less recognized. People think its some kind of Nissan Rogue and that's fine to me. I am just not a badge kind of guy, I could buy a Harley yet ride a Yamaha and get ribbed about my "ricer" by my riding buddies who all have the same baggers, . I like staying under the pretentious radar in these days especially when so many have so little.

I guess I know too many people who bury themselves in cars and wear them rather than drive them, These people live from the outside in rather than from the inside out. "Stuff" makes them feel important. It is important to let total strangers know "they arrived" I guess. The American Way,

Last edited by JerryT; 09-28-13 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-28-13, 05:08 PM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No worries, you don't need to justify your choices to anyone, let alone someone you never met who pulls your leg a bit on a forum...

I simply noticed your insistence on not being a badge kind of guy, not being a me too, not wanting to be another guy with a Lexus fob, and so forth.
And that made me curious, possibly also for job conditioning reasons...

You know, I neither bought an RX to let strangers know that I arrived, nor for its badge.
It simply suited my needs, and here in Europe you can buy it at very reasonable prices, because it was nowhere near as successful as in the US.
I keep its key in a non-branded keyfob, together with the key of my wife car, because I find it convenient to have both handy.
Oh, and I bought a $4 adapter to hear the music stored in my phone through the cassette player.
But I never felt the need to explain/justify all that to anyone, and I'm now mentioning this just to show that your association between people who buy a Lexus and the "keep up with the Joneses" principle is pretty much a stereotype.

You are what you are, not what you own.
You wouldn't have been a different person if you had bought an RX, and the same goes for the EX35, no matter how the choice might affect (or not) other people's perception.
See, I don't think the "American Way" is about appearing important. It's rather about "appearing", period.
I mean, someone might wish to appear important, others to appear different, cool, or whatever.
But at the end of the day, it's always about appearing something.
Appearing, rather than just being.
A bit sad, when you think about it, isn't it?

Quick Reply: This or that.....