RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New dash in my RX!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-13, 05:45 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks good! Been shopping around for a reputable "interiorist" to do it as well. Thanks.
Old 09-10-13, 08:47 AM
zman78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
We need to keep in mind there are several factors working on the pricing here. First, I actually think the dealer price would be closer to $1600 when all was said and done. Was what the price tag was on my dash replacement, though Lexus picked up half the tab. So, I only paid $800 for a dash replacement on my 2004. And yes I used 303 on my dash, used a sunshade, and it still cracked.

The dealer price is more than likely going to be high as they are going to charge retail price on the parts, the amount of labor is going to be calculated by the book rate no matter how long the job actually takes, and their labor rate is going to be on the high side. They are going to use these numbers even if they send the job out to another shop to do the work. Perhaps the $1100 quote includes some form of customer good will or discount for owners having this problem.

As for the independent shop, they get a discount from the dealership when they buy parts for them. Since they do this work for the dealership they probably get a really good discount perhaps as much as 50%. How much the independent decides to mark up the product is up to them. Next, their labor rate is going to be lower and they are going to bill for only those hours it actually took to perform the work. Lower parts costs and lower labor fees means a much lower price tag.

Finally, as was noted this was done without a receipt, no tax and more than likely off the books as a cash deal. I am also wondering if this is not a new dash but rather one that has been taken out, recoated, textured, and reinstalled. A common tactic for repairs on classics. Either way, it still looks good.
The RX I bought was previously owned by the wife who was married to the brother of the Lexus/Toyoata dealership owner. When I was looking at all the service orders at the dealership they were all stamped 'VIP'. I didn't even know such a service existed but that explains the prices.
The 'regular' dealership price on redoing the dash is I believe $1300. Also the interior shops price was higher as well. To help facilitate the sale to me they gave me the VIP pricing.

When you have a dash replaced it's just the vinyl/urethane covering on the dash that is removed with a heat gun then a new covering is added with glue, you don't get a completed new dashboard. It's labour intensive, the shop told me three to four days to complete the job, they took three. They also showed me the material used for the job I remember it having 'Leather Touch' stamped on the back. Sorry I don't know the exact brand/make of the material.

Here is a link of what the stuff looks like.
http://www.wholesale-fabric-discount...anti_Black.jpg
Old 09-10-13, 02:00 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

Do yourself and and your dash a favor, buy one of these. They work wonderfully to protect the dash and decrease the temperature of the interior.

http://www.autoanything.com/driving-...FQYepAodQAMABg
Old 09-10-13, 04:14 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsc4
Do yourself and and your dash a favor, buy one of these. They work wonderfully to protect the dash and decrease the temperature of the interior.

http://www.autoanything.com/driving-...FQYepAodQAMABg
I used a quality sunshade on my RX along with using 303 and the dash still cracked. In high heat, high UV areas of the country one also needs to consider tinting the front driver and passenger windows where allowed by law. Even a clear film with enhanced UVA and UVB filtering is of help.
Old 09-10-13, 10:28 PM
zman78
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I used a quality sunshade on my RX along with using 303 and the dash still cracked. In high heat, high UV areas of the country one also needs to consider tinting the front driver and passenger windows where allowed by law. Even a clear film with enhanced UVA and UVB filtering is of help.
Unfortunately I don't think that helps, from what little I have researched a lot of these dash coverings are just defective. I don't know if that is from cheap materials or cost cutting efforts at toyota/lexus hq (or both )
Old 09-16-13, 09:49 AM
Vinny18
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carver
Really great job and good price as well. As a tip for those who might have cracks just starting put super glue at the leading edge of the crack. Use a needle to make sure the glue touches both sides of the crack. It 'welds' the plastic together and stops it from going any further.
Thanks for the tip, wished I knew this before, my old commuter vehicle had a small crack that got quite large. Now ill know that to do
Old 10-05-13, 09:17 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Can you please disclose the name, address of the shop that did the dash repair. I am located in FL also.
Or pm me if you are in fear of having your secret decoder ring forfeited (lol).

Jerry
Old 10-13-13, 02:03 AM
maxwell18
Driver School Candidate

I would like the information on the shop that did the dash replacement. I live in the panhandle.
Thanks
PS I wish somebody would start a class action suit....
Old 10-13-13, 06:27 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

As for the initial problem, my first reaction to seeing the "before" photos (especially the second one) was that the previous owner had not heard of 303, and had parked the car in the sun. This is the kind of problem that happens to excessive sun exposure. I use 303 all the time on my SC430 (convertible) dash for this reason, as well as on my RX dash and all the rubber gaskets around the doors.
As for the above comment: "303 products are great I use to use them for my convertible tops. But any good interior cleaner and protector will do," it's probably false and dangerous, unless the operative definition of "good" is fairly limited. Most interior cleaner and "protector" products do not provide the protection of 303, and many leave an oily, smeary finish to boot.
Anyone who wants to prolong the life of automobile rubber gaskets and dashboards exposed to sunlight should seek out 303 and use it at least twice a year. It's not sold in most auto parts stores, but the savvy shopper can find it readily. To not do so is to run the risk that your car will wind up looking like photo #2.
Old 11-05-13, 10:58 AM
lemagli
Driver School Candidate

Default What is the name of FL shop that repaired your Dash??

I'm in the FL Panhandle, and would love to know the name of the shop who did the work as well! I have a 2004 RX 330, with cracks in the leather on the dash, would LOVE to find someone who can repair it for a reasonable price.

Your new dash looks great!
Old 04-18-14, 11:29 AM
Sunstate78
Driver School Candidate

Default 07 rx 350 cracked dash

I,too, have a cracked dash on my 07 rx350. I also live in Florida. Can you tell me who in Florida you used? Thanks Chris
Old 08-31-14, 10:01 AM
stronso1
Driver School Candidate

Default Repair shop name ?

Originally Posted by zman78
I had a finished out the door price of $600 no tax/no receipt, they said they would stand by their work for the life of the car, from what I seen I'll believe them. They've been in business for a lot of years. Funny thing, the local lexus dealer in town uses the exact same shop for their clients, price $1100. I would recommend anyone needing this on their lexus or any other brand to check around for shops that specialize in interiors only. Ask to see some of their work. When I took my RX in for a quote, I was lucky there was two other dashes being redone at that time, so I had a first hand account of there work quality. Def steer clear of the dealer for this type of work.
I
Live in SE Florida..would like to use your repair shop if possible to use a referral to them.
Name? Thanks!
Old 09-02-14, 08:54 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default .....................

My sister who lives in Florida has an 07 that has now started to show signs of cracking.

Can you PM me this shop contact info and address??

Or simply post it here for all to consider.
Old 10-03-14, 03:27 PM
kmanpete24
Rookie

I live in south florida. It hasn't happen to my wife's 09 yet. Can you please PM me their contact as well?
Old 10-10-14, 12:03 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice!

Quick Reply: New dash in my RX!