RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Anyone got issues with the 2012/13 NAV map update?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-13, 09:09 PM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Anyone got issues with the 2012/13 NAV map update?

I recently installed the 2012/13 ver 12 map update on my RX to replace the 2010 (v 10) I had on the way back from CA to IL. I notice a number of major highways, tollroads, exits, rest stops are all missing whereas v.10 had all of them. Any of you with the same experience? Good example when I was at Oklahoma City, it didn't even have the exit shown for the major John Kilpatrick Tollway which has been around for ages. It listed a number of road side rest stops that didn't even exist and the ones that are there don't show up. Again, the 2010 (v.10) had no problems with that at all. Whoever Lexus hired to do this mapping is totally screwed up on this latest version. I have no idea what's improved on this 2012 v12 update since there are none that I can see. If you are contemplating getting the v12 update, suggest you don't waste your money. Not sure whether these corrections will be on the 2013/14 v.13 update coming out this fall. Since the NAV update database is likely the same, guessing other vehicles with different generations NAV will experience the same issue.
Old 07-20-13, 09:57 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is a PDF indicating some of the updates supposedly in the v12 update:

http://lexusnavigation.com/pdf_docs/...2012085128.pdf

Perhaps the map update installed was incomplete or some type of error was experienced during the install which was not picked up on by the tech. Would check with the shop you purchased it from to explain your problems and to see if perhaps they could try to reapply the update.

When you have a moment you should take some time to provide feedback to Lexus regarding your problems on this.

http://lexusnavigation.com/feedback_option.php
Old 07-21-13, 02:26 PM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusPia
I recently installed the 2012/13 ver 12 map update on my RX to replace the 2010 (v 10) I had on the way back from CA to IL. I notice a number of major highways, tollroads, exits, rest stops are all missing whereas v.10 had all of them. Any of you with the same experience? Good example when I was at Oklahoma City, it didn't even have the exit shown for the major John Kilpatrick Tollway which has been around for ages. It listed a number of road side rest stops that didn't even exist and the ones that are there don't show up. Again, the 2010 (v.10) had no problems with that at all. Whoever Lexus hired to do this mapping is totally screwed up on this latest version. I have no idea what's improved on this 2012 v12 update since there are none that I can see. If you are contemplating getting the v12 update, suggest you don't waste your money. Not sure whether these corrections will be on the 2013/14 v.13 update coming out this fall. Since the NAV update database is likely the same, guessing other vehicles with different generations NAV will experience the same issue.
Use Google maps with your phone or even NAV apps on the phone. Those are very accurate and are updated often. NAV from car manufacture is dying,
Old 07-21-13, 02:46 PM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Here is a PDF indicating some of the updates supposedly in the v12 update:

http://lexusnavigation.com/pdf_docs/...2012085128.pdf

Perhaps the map update installed was incomplete or some type of error was experienced during the install which was not picked up on by the tech. Would check with the shop you purchased it from to explain your problems and to see if perhaps they could try to reapply the update.

When you have a moment you should take some time to provide feedback to Lexus regarding your problems on this.

http://lexusnavigation.com/feedback_option.php
Thanks for the links especially the feedback. I went ahead and submitted the issues to Lexus. When I noticed this error especially after it failed to tell me about the John Kilpatrick Tnpk ramp, I immediately stoppped at a rest stop and reloaded the DVD just to make sure everything was loaded correctly. It was. After I got back, I returned the DVD to the dealer and they gave me another one. I retraced the route I was on and same story--no exit or ramp for JKT as well as missing rest areas whereas my 2010 v.10 shows them. The dealer did tell me I could get my money back. I may just do that and keep using the 2010 instead.
Old 07-21-13, 03:29 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusPia
Thanks for the links especially the feedback. I went ahead and submitted the issues to Lexus. When I noticed this error especially after it failed to tell me about the John Kilpatrick Tnpk ramp, I immediately stoppped at a rest stop and reloaded the DVD just to make sure everything was loaded correctly. It was. After I got back, I returned the DVD to the dealer and they gave me another one. I retraced the route I was on and same story--no exit or ramp for JKT as well as missing rest areas whereas my 2010 v.10 shows them. The dealer did tell me I could get my money back. I may just do that and keep using the 2010 instead.
Sorry about any confusion on answering your question. Forgot I was answering a 2nd Generation RX question and answered as if you had a 3rd Generation RX. Would have commented about the DVD, which you can replace yourself, as opposed to the new way with the USB updates or other methods.

Chances are your DVD would have been fine. Rare they go bad in the short time they are in use since they are not being regularly handled. Sounds like a mistake in the data collection and processing for the new version leaving out sections of data. Not unheard of but definitely not excusable. Glad you might get your money back on this one.

Am glad that at least the feedback URL I provided was of some use. That whole web site is a good guide for owners as to what is available and what they need.