RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

$50 alternative to VAIS ipod/AUX kits

Old 02-02-13, 01:16 AM
rxdrivr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $50 alternative to VAIS ipod/AUX kits

Has anyone had any luck with one of these $50 kits?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-iPOD-i...22a59d&vxp=mtr

I'm curious how they work compared with the $200+ VAIS kits, which seem to be the gold standard for adding ipod/AUX inputs.

Update: It looks like GROM sells a kit for about $70.

Here is a post comparing GROM and VAIS:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...o-install.html

Can anyone comment on how well the GROM kit works? Does it allow for steering wheel iphone control?

Last edited by rxdrivr; 02-02-13 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-02-13, 10:53 AM
luxe88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cannot speak from experience, only that i have learned that of the 5 name brands Lexus went through, VAIStech had the least amount of interference with their navi and other electric components.

i too am searching for a cheap source, if not the top of the line or newly innovative, ipod/aux for installation...
Old 02-02-13, 01:51 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Can't speak to the ebay or Grom interfaces but we've had no problems with our USA Spec PA20-TOY interface. The steering wheel controls work and you can either use the interface to control the device or you can switch modes and control the device itself. I don't recall the cost but it was between $100 & $150.
Old 02-02-13, 05:38 PM
rxdrivr
Driver School Candidate

How well do the steering wheel controls work on the USA Spec PA20-TOY? According to one amazon review, the control is fairly limited. Are the VAIS controls any better?

"I can't say that this product didn't work as advertised--it does in fact allow you to control your iPod through your car's stereo and steering wheel controls. However, that control is so limited and cumbersome that I wound up simply using the iPod to change songs, etc.--something that I could already do with a $10 cord for my auxiliary jack.

The adapter limits your control to six playlists (or the entire song list, which you can navigate one song at a time). Unfortunately, the stereo displays each playlist as a "disc," ignoring the name. If you accidentally navigate away from it, it can be difficult to find your way back. I made the mistake of purchasing this adapter without having a navigation or satellite radio screen in my car, so I'm limited to the tiny screen on the stereo, which makes the nav limitations worse."
Old 06-21-13, 07:45 AM
LS430LX470
Driver School Candidate

has anyone tried this cheaper alternative ??? does it work? do you hook it up to the back of the stock head unit?
Old 06-21-13, 08:11 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rxdrivr
How well do the steering wheel controls work on the USA Spec PA20-TOY? According to one amazon review, the control is fairly limited.
There aren't that many steering wheel controls to begin with on our '08. Just forward, back, volume up & volume down, IIRC. All of them work just fine.

We have nav and all our playlists are available by name. Works with Pandora as well and even displays the track name on the audio screen though every once in a while it does not for some reason.

Originally Posted by LS430LX470
does it work? do you hook it up to the back of the stock head unit?
Most aftermarket iPod/iPhone interfaces for factory systems connect to the back of the head unit and emulate a CD changer, MD, Sat radio, etc.

Last edited by takeshi74; 06-21-13 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-25-13, 04:47 PM
dp451
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to mention here that I paid 49.99 for a GOgroove FlexSMART X2, a device that plugs into the 12v by the radio. I chose this over the newer GOgroove because reviews mentioned that the newer one didn't hold your volume settings. The x2 also looks better with our car than the new, white one does. Anyway, I take calls on this, and stream pandora, itunes, spotify, etc over bluetooth. If you have an iphone it works with siri as well. so i can have texts read back to me and dictate texts too. I am not trying to say it is better than something you can attach to the head unit. Just saying for the price it sounds good enough to me and I haven't had any problems with phone calls.

Last edited by dp451; 06-26-13 at 12:50 AM.