RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Bad News from the Servicing Department

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-13, 09:02 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Bad News from the Servicing Department

Took my car into the Toyota dealership today to server my Lexus RX330. The service was the 190000km (118000 miles) service for the car. They did the service and I got my car back. The bad news is that there are a couple of things that will need to be done:

* There is a leak in the steering rack, meaning that they will need to do a reconditioned rack and that's going to cost roughly $1500 (Australian) to replace/repair.

* There is also a leak in the rear main engine seal and is going to cost roughly the same as the steering rack ($1500 Australian).

Not to mention that my tyres are also due to be replaced. They always say that bad news comes in 3's.

Both items are rated at 5 or 50% (they score these issues out of 10, with 10 being needs to be done yesterday and 1 being a weep), how urgent do these things need to be looked at?

I am thinking that if I were to leave that rear engine seal until the 200000km service that might save me some cash, cause that in itself will be an expensive service. Maybe put a thicker oil in or some additive to "buy me time" (even though that goes against my way of resolving issues like this).

The steering rack leak, depending on what the leak actually is, how urgent would it be to replace it?

The wife is on at me now to get rid of the car, as when problems start they can build. I try to tell her, these things happen with higher mileage cars irrespective of brand generally. The car is regularly serviced and have had no issues up until today. No puddles in the garage of any oil or oil smells, so it may not be as bad as I think.

Thoughts / Opinions?
Old 06-12-13, 09:45 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you losing any oil? If oil loss is negligible I would put the seal on the back burner. Even the rack isn't urgent but could probably get messier quicker than the seal. I used a reconditioned rack when I had mine done and was having some brake work done so there was some combination of labor. At my independent mechanic the cost was probably 800US inclusive.

You could schedule these things to fit your budget flexibility, neither is likely to be a safety issue without plenty of warning. As far as keeping mama happy, that is out of my depth! I can barely manage the women I have here never mind some irate Australian!
Old 06-12-13, 10:02 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Use the oil saver additives. One for the power steering and one for the main engine seal.

Beware though some people say they eventually ruin the seal.

Used this sealant type additives on my old Camry and Maxima, they worked. I have sold them eventually without leaks and did hold up.
Old 06-12-13, 06:32 PM
compdr59
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't have to use the dealer for repairs. If it's a minor leak try some sealer and wait until you need to add fluids frequently.
Old 06-12-13, 07:56 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

The amount and rate of fluid loss is the determining factor. Significant loss or noticeable loss over a week or two time frame is certainly reason to replace immediately. If you can go a month or two without truly noticeable loss, simply add fluid as needed until leak worsens.
Old 06-13-13, 02:42 AM
tomit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Draco,

If the vehicle has had regular oil changes, I wouldn't worry about the rear main. I wouldn't put any 'additives' in the oil to try and 'fix' the problem - these will make the problem worse.

Tom
Old 06-13-13, 04:38 AM
RXPhil
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do not have any leaks in the driveway, I wouldn't worry. I have a feeling that the stealership is trying to take you for a ride and upselling to make money during the slow times.

Steering rack is fine to leak, just once it starts whining when you turn the wheel add fluid. Just check the engine oil periodically for the rear main. But again if you have no stains in your garage. I'm not sure what you'd be looking for.