RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

My new Magnaflow Exhaust today

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-13, 08:21 PM
Gordonrx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My new Magnaflow Exhaust today

Hi I just had my exhaust done with a Magnaflow Muffler. I do like the way it sounds when I step on it and it goes faster. However I do not like the way it sounds while driving at very low speeds. It sounds too much like a rice rocket which is what I didnt want. What I wanted was something that was quiet under commute driving and okay to be louder when I step on it. Today I had to step on it lightly through a yellow light and it was loud. It would have caught a cops attention for sure. I wonder if theres something I can do to fix this, any thoughts guys?
Old 05-30-13, 08:36 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Hate to sound like a broken record, for those who remember what a record is, but you should have used the search features for the forums here at CL. Like most topics, this one has already been discussed at length and if you look around you will see other possible solutions available. Such as:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...magnaflow.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...for-rx330.html
Old 05-30-13, 08:45 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is why I installed a flowmaster instead.
Old 05-31-13, 05:37 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What exactly, was done? Perhaps they removed your resonator when they replaced the muff. That could cause a problem. At worst you could install a small resonator to calm it down a bit.
Old 05-31-13, 07:23 AM
DPJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonrx
Hi I just had my exhaust done with a Magnaflow Muffler. I do like the way it sounds when I step on it and it goes faster.
When I put a Borla system on my Toyota Land Cruiser, I remember reading that the increased performance would go away as soon as the engine management re-calibrated to it. Any thoughts on the performance aspect?
Old 05-31-13, 07:35 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I think I like being quiet as a mouse personally.
Old 05-31-13, 07:54 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
I think I like being quiet as a mouse personally.
Well, you know how the kids are.
Old 05-31-13, 07:03 PM
Gordonrx
Driver

Default Magnaflow Muffler

Resolved, I went back to the shop and had them put a small resonator at the end and weld back on the stock tip. I must say that I love how it sounds now!!! It's got a deeper Growl but not farty like before.

What I had originally done was remove everything from the mid-muffler on back. Added a new Magnaflow mid-muffler and new 2 1/2 pipe all the way to the end with a new tip. It was so loud everywhere I went driving and iddling. Now my RX sounds awesome, and it goes when I jump on it.
Old 05-31-13, 07:05 PM
Gordonrx
Driver

Default Magnaflow Muffler

Originally Posted by Carver
What exactly, was done? Perhaps they removed your resonator when they replaced the muff. That could cause a problem. At worst you could install a small resonator to calm it down a bit.
Carver that's exactly what I had them do and it sounds awesome now. Very deep growl.
Old 06-01-13, 10:46 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonrx
Carver that's exactly what I had them do and it sounds awesome now. Very deep growl.
Glad it worked out for you!
Old 09-22-13, 01:51 PM
Cafasco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DPJ
When I put a Borla system on my Toyota Land Cruiser, I remember reading that the increased performance would go away as soon as the engine management re-calibrated to it. Any thoughts on the performance aspect?
I seen comments like this before and have never experienced such a thing and I have modified every vehicle I have ever owned. The same things are said over at the Saab Central. My '08 9-3 has a laundry list of upgrades. There is NO comparison to stock whatsoever. And the Saab T8 engine hardware software is among the most complex. If you open up an intake and exhaust is will breath better, it is a physical change. The engine mgt software cannot change hardware. It will make adjustments to maximize efficiency however, but the improved throttle response will remain.

The RX330 exhaust system feels like it's really plugged up to me. I want to jerk that center muffler out and cut it open. I bet it necks down to 1" diameter inside. But this is wifey's car, so have to be careful not to increase sound very much, so I may just replace that center plug with a "Cherry Bomb Turbo". I know it will flow far better yet still be pretty quite, and they are inexpensive (as they are not stainless, but may be close enough to the engine to retain enough heat that they don't rust out in a couple years).
Old 09-23-13, 07:06 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Cafasco
I seen comments like this before and have never experienced such a thing and I have modified every vehicle I have ever owned. The same things are said over at the Saab Central. My '08 9-3 has a laundry list of upgrades. There is NO comparison to stock whatsoever. And the Saab T8 engine hardware software is among the most complex. If you open up an intake and exhaust is will breath better, it is a physical change. The engine mgt software cannot change hardware. It will make adjustments to maximize efficiency however, but the improved throttle response will remain.

The RX330 exhaust system feels like it's really plugged up to me. I want to jerk that center muffler out and cut it open. I bet it necks down to 1" diameter inside. But this is wifey's car, so have to be careful not to increase sound very much, so I may just replace that center plug with a "Cherry Bomb Turbo". I know it will flow far better yet still be pretty quite, and they are inexpensive (as they are not stainless, but may be close enough to the engine to retain enough heat that they don't rust out in a couple years).

I thought that big center thing under the vehicle is the actual muffler? And the resonator at the end is just that...the resonator?
Old 10-08-13, 11:21 PM
Cafasco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus114
I thought that big center thing under the vehicle is the actuall muffler? And the resonator at the end is just that...the resonator?
Yes it is the muffler for RX330's and I presume RX350s. The rear canister is the resonator from what I read here. Apparently these were reversed on the RX300. I see there is what looks like CAT #3 before the center muffler, for California and/or and LEII cert. I suppose? No wonder why it feels plugged...
Old 12-03-13, 10:01 AM
JProdun
Driver

Question

Hi all,

Can anyone please list the part numbers or links for the parts used, i.e. muffler and resonator?

Thank you!

Last edited by JProdun; 12-12-13 at 10:40 AM.