RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Newbie 2006 RX330

Old 05-28-13, 05:48 AM
tc1515
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie 2006 RX330

Hi guys,

Just purchased a 2006 RX330 from Bay Ridge Lexus. I was initially very happy with my purchase until I started noticing issues that did not come about during my test drive. The car is currently covered by NY State Lemon Law, but it doesn't give me peace of mind knowing there are already issues after the first day of taking it home. The car was owned at one point by Mr. Woods, not sure if its the same as the one on this forum. If so, please reach out to me so I can have any issues that you may have had addressed by Lexus.

Anyways, just wanted to put that out there.

TC
Old 05-28-13, 07:34 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It would be nice to know what issues you are talking about. Also if you register the vehicle with Lexus you will see all maintenance, warranty and recall work done by Lexus over the life of the vehicle. You will need the VIN number to register (link below):

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 05-28-13, 08:29 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tc1515
Hi guys,

Just purchased a 2006 RX330 from Bay Ridge Lexus. I was initially very happy with my purchase until I started noticing issues that did not come about during my test drive. The car is currently covered by NY State Lemon Law, but it doesn't give me peace of mind knowing there are already issues after the first day of taking it home. The car was owned at one point by Mr. Woods, not sure if its the same as the one on this forum. If so, please reach out to me so I can have any issues that you may have had addressed by Lexus.

Anyways, just wanted to put that out there.

TC
I fail to see how a 2006 vehicle can still be covered by NY's State Lemon Law for used vehicles.

http://www.ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds...law-fact-sheet

Perhaps a standard used car warranty required by the state or offered by the dealership, but Lemon Laws are quite different in nature. Take the vehicle back to the dealership and point out the problems you have found and give them an opportunity to address them or point out why they will not.
Old 05-28-13, 10:36 AM
tc1515
Driver School Candidate

Question: How can a 2006 vehicle still be covered by NY State Lemon Law:
Answer: Here is how it applies. My 2006 meets these requirements:

was purchased or leased from a New York dealer; AND
had a purchase price or lease value of at least $1,500; AND
has been driven less than 100,000 miles at the time
used for personal use only
Statutory Warranty: 80,000-100,000 miles 30 days or 1,000 miles

Last edited by tc1515; 05-28-13 at 10:39 AM. Reason: error
Old 05-28-13, 10:37 AM
tc1515
Driver School Candidate

Here is the list of issues to date.

1. The AFS Light was flashing off and not responsive when the AFS button was depressed
2. On the bottom of the front bumper, there is a flap of plastic that appears to be missing a screw and therefore hangs down.
3. When going over bumps, I've noticed a clunking noise (metal hitting against metal) coming from the front. I suspect it may be the strut mounts.
4. Parking lights are not working
5. Carpet retention clips appear to be missing
6. Parking brake is not working
7. The car is a bit hesitant when accelerating which is attributed to 9 (MAF, or slipping transmission)
8. Seat belts are positioned backwards on both driver and passenger side seats
9. The car is making noises when going up a hill and it is definitely either loosing compression or power because it struggles to accelerate when going up a hill from start.
10. Rear power liftgate is not working properly when using the key fob. It works sometimes.
Old 05-28-13, 01:15 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

1. The AFS Light was flashing off and not responsive when the AFS button was depressed
That's how you turn off AFS. AFS is on by default.

I would recommend you to talk to the dealer you purchase from and see if they can get you another one similar to what you have now.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-28-13, 03:03 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

Here is the list of issues to date.

2. On the bottom of the front bumper, there is a flap of plastic that appears to be missing a screw and therefore hangs down.
3. When going over bumps, I've noticed a clunking noise (metal hitting against metal) coming from the front. I suspect it may be the strut mounts.
4. Parking lights are not working
5. Carpet retention clips appear to be missing
6. Parking brake is not working
7. The car is a bit hesitant when accelerating which is attributed to 9 (MAF, or slipping transmission)
8. Seat belts are positioned backwards on both driver and passenger side seats
9. The car is making noises when going up a hill and it is definitely either loosing compression or power because it struggles to accelerate when going up a hill from start.
10. Rear power liftgate is not working properly when using the key fob. It works sometimes.

I would highly recommend you to return the car while you still can and take your business else where. I have personal experience with these 'folks'. You can read more about my story with them here - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post7290509

I also wrote a review for my service on http://www.dealerrater.com/ and later received a reply and a call from one of their manager (Eugene Woods) stating that they would refund me. And guess what!! 3 months later, I got a call from a collector for the money of which they refunded me! Luckily, I refer the collector to the dealerrater.com post (where Mr. Wood agreed to the refund).

As you can see, they're not interested in taking care of their customers, or making good on the products they sell, or even know how to run their accounting/business. Take your business elsewhere where you're treating like a customer and being not cheated on.

Last edited by SaneEnch; 05-28-13 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-28-13, 03:46 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Question: How can a 2006 vehicle still be covered by NY State Lemon Law:
Answer: Here is how it applies. My 2006 meets these requirements:

has been driven less than 100,000 miles at the time
used for personal use only
Statutory Warranty: 80,000-100,000 miles 30 days or 1,000 miles
From the URL I posted above:

Cars Covered by the Used Car Lemon Law Include any car that:

was purchased, leased or transferred after the earlier of 18,000 miles or two years from original delivery; AND
has been driven less than 100,000 miles at the time of purchase/lease; AND
is used primarily for personal purposes.

Actually, I read the first line that you left out and initially thought it would preclude your vehicle as it has more than 18K miles and is more than two year past the original delivery date. Reading it again I see the reverse is true. Familiarity with other state Lemon Laws did me in as elsewhere there are time and mileage limits, pertaining only to new or near new vehicles. Instead, used cars normally have to rely on 30 day warranties or extended warranties offered by the dealership as shown on any window sticker. Most used vehicles across the country are sold "as is."

Still, my original suggestion remains. Go back to the dealership and give them an opportunity to make things right. It is a requirement of the law you are hoping to enforce.
Old 05-28-13, 09:03 PM
tc1515
Driver School Candidate

So I have a service appointment set for tomorrow morning. Ill fill you guys in on what comes of it. Im tired of dealing with this crap and wished I would have stuck to my old dealership (Hassel Volvo out in Glen Cove). I really hope everything goes well and all the issues get addressed. BTW, some of you suggested that I return the car? Can you elaborate, as I have never heard of this before. I purchased the car Saturday...is it truly possible to return a car after purchasing it?
Old 05-28-13, 10:11 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So I have a service appointment set for tomorrow morning. Ill fill you guys in on what comes of it. Im tired of dealing with this crap and wished I would have stuck to my old dealership (Hassel Volvo out in Glen Cove). I really hope everything goes well and all the issues get addressed. BTW, some of you suggested that I return the car? Can you elaborate, as I have never heard of this before. I purchased the car Saturday...is it truly possible to return a car after purchasing it?
I have never seen a used car that was not sold AS_IS. Hopefully this dealership will take care of all these problems. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-28-13, 11:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rainbird
I have never seen a used car that was not sold AS_IS. Hopefully this dealership will take care of all these problems. Let us know how it turns out.
I know where you are coming from. When I first read the NY Lemon Law information my first thought was that this was nothing more than an extension of existing Lemon Law rights for new vehicles which instead were under two years of age and being sold as used. There may have been recalls or problems that may have come to light and these would give the new owners some rights.

However, if you read what is listed at the URL I provided it seems like if you sell used cars then you have to abide by these rules and provide coverage at least for a limited list of repair items. Though, not many of the things that the OP was complaining about are on that list. Will be up to the dealership to fix these things to make the customer happy, however, I am not sure there is much they can be forced to do. Will have to be of their own volition.

Best I had seen previous was a 30-day warranty on a used vehicle being a requirement. Anything above and beyond that was a a dealership or manufacturer deal. As you state, most everything else I have seen as been sold "as is." And as is seen in this example, it is best to have any used vehicle purchase given a thorough inspection by another shop even if you are buying from what one would hope to be a reputable dealer.
Old 05-29-13, 06:09 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

I mean you SHOULD return it IF you can. I would recommend go to Lexus of Manhattan and buy your car there or have your services done there. I have much better experience there, the only reason I went to Bay Ridge is because I moved and want to give the local dealer a chance - but they failed me. Please report back on your experience.

I had multiple good experience with Lexus of Manhattan: 1) I purchased my car the first time I was there. I negotiated with the sales guy. Knocked out $2k off the ticket price, no finance price vs internet price vs real price vs bs gimmick. Look back at it, I got a great deal - at lease according to my research 2) I have condensation issues with both of the head light (not under warranty because they are working and technically not broken), they replaced both my head lights with new part, just charge me the labor of $250. 3) every time I takes the car in for service or issue, they give me a equal or better car loaner, no exception. 4) I never waited more than 15 minutes at the Manhattan dealer - I waited 3 hrs in Bay Ridge!
Old 05-30-13, 09:52 AM
leskay
Driver School Candidate

Not to scare you but you might lift the front carpet and look at the metal for rust and corrosion. It's possible you have a car that had serious water damage... Flooding.... and could easily been overlooked by any car-stat reporting. Good luck.
Old 05-30-13, 02:09 PM
katzjamr
Driver

an independent mechanic is a great person to see when considering a used car, it costs some money but can save you a lot of heartache and bigger expense down the road.
Old 05-30-13, 03:29 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by leskay
Not to scare you but you might lift the front carpet and look at the metal for rust and corrosion. It's possible you have a car that had serious water damage... Flooding.... and could easily been overlooked by any car-stat reporting. Good luck.

I think you have a good point there! However, since Bay Ridge Lexus is a official Lexus retailers, I don't believe they are allow to sell any car that have water/flood damage. I believe every used car the Lexus retailers sell have to go thru an 161 points inspection (maybe that's for CPO only??), but still, there's no way Lexus Corporate would allow their authorize retailers sell a flooded car.

But then again, it's Bay Ridge of Lexus... I concur..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie 2006 RX330