RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Have you got the cargo net on your RX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-13, 05:23 PM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Have you got the cargo net on your RX?

Hi folks,
since I often have small stuff in the trunk, I thought it was a good idea to buy from Sewell the cargo net, to keep them handy rather than floating all around.
But when looking at the instructions, I saw that it’s necessary to install the upper anchor points (supplied with the net), drilling a hole in the plastic trim panel.
No big deal, just a matter of drilling a couple of holes, but I like to be 100% sure of what I’m doing, before any irreversible modification.
And considering how the net should work, I am a bit concerned that the small weld stud to which the plastic T-shaped anchor point should be attached could break the plastic trim panel, sooner or later.
In fact, it should be placed in the position where I drew a red dot in the attached pic. But the plastic panel, in spite of being rather solid for a trim panel, doesn’t seem designed to be strong enough to withstand a concentrated pull, like the one which the net could create on the anchor point.
Now, maybe I am worrying for no reason, and it actually works just fine, but before drilling holes, I thought to ask your views.
It would be very interesting to hear from someone who actually has the net and uses it.

By the way, I also had the doubt that the US models might be different from European models, because the cargo net doesn’t seem to be available in EU. Actually, I would be surprised if that trim panel were different, but there is also another thing which I noticed: the D-rings at the bottom, when pulled out to attach the net, do not allow the covers on the trunk floor to be opened. In other words, to access the small storage area under the trunk floor, it’s necessary to detach the net and close the D-rings. That doesn’t seem very practical, and I was wondering if by chance those D-rings are somewhat different in US models.
I hope the pic is clear enough to see all that.
Thanks in advance for your views!
Old 05-21-13, 06:23 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I did not utilize the recommended anchor point, to install it on the cover was a bit wrong for me. Somebody here suggested to use the tonneau cover lever as the anchor for the loop and that's what I did.

Let me see if there is a picture here somewhere. Otherwise I will post a pic.
Old 05-21-13, 06:28 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Here you go: Post # 19

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...rgo-net-2.html
Old 05-21-13, 09:29 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spacecraft
Hi folks,
since I often have small stuff in the trunk, I thought it was a good idea to buy from Sewell the cargo net, to keep them handy rather than floating all around.
But when looking at the instructions, I saw that it’s necessary to install the upper anchor points (supplied with the net), drilling a hole in the plastic trim panel.
No big deal, just a matter of drilling a couple of holes, but I like to be 100% sure of what I’m doing, before any irreversible modification.
And considering how the net should work, I am a bit concerned that the small weld stud to which the plastic T-shaped anchor point should be attached could break the plastic trim panel, sooner or later.
In fact, it should be placed in the position where I drew a red dot in the attached pic. But the plastic panel, in spite of being rather solid for a trim panel, doesn’t seem designed to be strong enough to withstand a concentrated pull, like the one which the net could create on the anchor point.
Now, maybe I am worrying for no reason, and it actually works just fine, but before drilling holes, I thought to ask your views.
It would be very interesting to hear from someone who actually has the net and uses it.

By the way, I also had the doubt that the US models might be different from European models, because the cargo net doesn’t seem to be available in EU. Actually, I would be surprised if that trim panel were different, but there is also another thing which I noticed: the D-rings at the bottom, when pulled out to attach the net, do not allow the covers on the trunk floor to be opened. In other words, to access the small storage area under the trunk floor, it’s necessary to detach the net and close the D-rings. That doesn’t seem very practical, and I was wondering if by chance those D-rings are somewhat different in US models.
I hope the pic is clear enough to see all that.
Thanks in advance for your views!
I got the net (installed) when I bought the car, new. The attachments points are as you describe, and I have had no problem (because the net is elastic enough to 'give'). Yes, my lower anchors also interfere with the opening of the underlying covers, but it is easy to unhook the bottom corners of the net, push the anchors into their holder, and open the covers. in fact, I think it would be very difficult to open the covers if the net were attached somewhere else since the covers would get caught in the net.
Old 05-22-13, 09:29 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I did not utilize the recommended anchor point, to install it on the cover was a bit wrong for me. Somebody here suggested to use the tonneau cover lever as the anchor for the loop and that's what I did.
Many thanks, I did make a search before posting, but missed that thread for some reason.
I just tried the same, and it seems to works just fine.
Btw, someone in the other thread suggested that such solution might interfere with the usage of the rolling cargo cover, but it actually still works as it should, also with the net attached.
It's just a tad less smooth to lock in its place after pulling it, but I wouldn't even notice if I didn't know how it works normally...

The only concern remains the possibility that the net tension, rather than breaking the trim panel, might break the cover retract *****...
Have you been using the net attached to the ***** for a long time? And with some loads?
Since you are suggesting this solution, I assume you didn't break anything so far...!
Old 05-22-13, 09:33 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pauljcl
I have had no problem (because the net is elastic enough to 'give').
Thanks for your feedback.
I would rather avoid drilling holes in the panel, if others can confirm that the net didn't create any problem when attached to the *****.
But it's good to know that also the supplied anchors work fine, just in case.
Old 05-22-13, 10:25 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Drilling the holes is actually very easy. I had the cargo net in the 330 for over five years. No problems or damage, and it was super easy to install. Just follow the template, that's what I did.
Old 05-22-13, 11:06 AM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Drilling the holes is actually very easy. I had the cargo net in the 330 for over five years. No problems or damage, and it was super easy to install. Just follow the template, that's what I did.
Mine is also connected to the panel....and it works fine....feels very secure.
Old 05-22-13, 01:42 PM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Yep, drilling the two holes doesn't worry me at all, after you all seem to agree that the panel is strong enough.
On the other hand, if the net works just as nicely when attached to the *****, why bother?
...I would just like to hear from mandyfig (or anyone else who used that trick) if the ***** hold well in the long run.
For what I can see, they don't look weaker than the trim panel where the anchors are supposed to be installed...
Old 05-30-13, 05:15 PM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by spacecraft
...I would just like to hear from mandyfig (or anyone else who used that trick) if the ***** hold well in the long run.
Bump...