RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus RX wheels - bolt pattern and offset

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-13, 05:26 AM
marcjays
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus RX wheels - bolt pattern and offset

Hello,

I have a 2008 RX400H. with stock 18*7 rims.

I have found some 18 inch toyota RAV4 rims that are 18*7.5 114 bolt pattern.
Can I use the Rav4 Rims on the RX ? also the offset on the RAV4 is different from the RX!

I also found 18" Scion Tc stock rims same bolt pattern as the Lexus. They are however 18*7.5. Same issue, would they work on the RX or would they give me trouble with suspension etc.. in the future?

Thank you,
Old 05-05-13, 02:06 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First of all, welcome to Club Lexus!

Wheels get complicated really fast unfortunately. If you look at the back of one of your wheels, you will see that they are stamped 18X7 and +35 for the offset. It seems to me that there is less than half an inch (maybe about 1.25 cm) of clearance between the tire and rear strut, which is not very much. There seems to be a little more clearance up front, but it's still really tight. Based on these measurements, I would keep the strut clearance change to under a cm. In other words, going from 7inch to 7.5 inch rims with the same +35 offset would decrease your strut clearance by 6mm and extend the wheel position out 6mm since the wheel is wider. Based on a quick measurement, that would be doable.

Now, the offset is what is going to make things very hard. I believe the RAV4 has an offset of +45 (or maybe it's +40?). The higher the offset, the more "tucked in" the wheel will be; consequently it will also be closer to the strut. Going from a wheel that's 7inch with a +35 to a wheel that's 7.5 inch with a +45, you will have 16mm less clearance between the wheel and strut and the outer edge of wheel will sit 4mm closer to the car. Also, you have to factor that the tire is going to bulge out a bit as well, so measuring the clearance from the inner most point of the tire to the struct and then subtracting 16mm will be an accurate measurement.

I do not know what offset the TC has on it's 18inch rims.

Unless you went to significantly bigger rims, or rims with a small or negative offset, I would not think you would be doing any damage to your suspension. Plus sized rims and rims with really small or negative offsets tend to wear out wheel bearings.

Personally, I would look for something either 18X7, or 18X7.5 with a +35 offset or less. 18X8 with a +30 off
would probably work too.

Unfortunately with wheels, the only good surefire way to see if they will fit is to test fit them. I am sorry if I am confusing anyone with all these numbers.

Here is a link to an article about offsets that should help clarify things a little bit.
http://www.worldoneperformance.com/b...-offsets-work/

And here is a link to an offset calculator which should help.
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator
The following users liked this post:
Felix (01-13-20)
Old 05-06-13, 05:20 AM
marcjays
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for such a detailed answer. Much appreciated. I think the offset of of scion is +39mm
I guess I will try the rims to see if they fit.

Thank you
Old 05-06-13, 11:18 AM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your very welcome!

If the offset is +39 then it would probably work ok, but I would pay a tire shop a little to test fit before I bought the wheels.

Good luck!
Old 05-07-13, 10:48 AM
ch2780
Driver School Candidate

This tool may help.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
Old 05-07-13, 01:57 PM
katzjamr
Driver

also remember that the wheels you put on the 400h have to be able to take 650 foot pounds of torque that is possible with the hybrid system on that vehicle
Old 01-13-20, 07:57 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 508 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by neelnaik
First of all, welcome to Club Lexus!

Wheels get complicated really fast unfortunately. If you look at the back of one of your wheels, you will see that they are stamped 18X7 and +35 for the offset. It seems to me that there is less than half an inch (maybe about 1.25 cm) of clearance between the tire and rear strut, which is not very much. There seems to be a little more clearance up front, but it's still really tight. Based on these measurements, I would keep the strut clearance change to under a cm. In other words, going from 7inch to 7.5 inch rims with the same +35 offset would decrease your strut clearance by 6mm and extend the wheel position out 6mm since the wheel is wider. Based on a quick measurement, that would be doable.

Now, the offset is what is going to make things very hard. I believe the RAV4 has an offset of +45 (or maybe it's +40?). The higher the offset, the more "tucked in" the wheel will be; consequently it will also be closer to the strut. Going from a wheel that's 7inch with a +35 to a wheel that's 7.5 inch with a +45, you will have 16mm less clearance between the wheel and strut and the outer edge of wheel will sit 4mm closer to the car. Also, you have to factor that the tire is going to bulge out a bit as well, so measuring the clearance from the inner most point of the tire to the struct and then subtracting 16mm will be an accurate measurement.

I do not know what offset the TC has on it's 18inch rims.

Unless you went to significantly bigger rims, or rims with a small or negative offset, I would not think you would be doing any damage to your suspension. Plus sized rims and rims with really small or negative offsets tend to wear out wheel bearings.

Personally, I would look for something either 18X7, or 18X7.5 with a +35 offset or less. 18X8 with a +30 off
would probably work too.

Unfortunately with wheels, the only good surefire way to see if they will fit is to test fit them. I am sorry if I am confusing anyone with all these numbers.

Here is a link to an article about offsets that should help clarify things a little bit.
http://www.worldoneperformance.com/b...-offsets-work/

And here is a link to an offset calculator which should help.
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator
IK its old thread, just bumping it so so when or if I swap out wheels. Like to get a set of those 8x18 wheels from a gen 4 which are a 30mm offset vs the 35mm. Yeah IK add a 1'' somewhere.