RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Rear Spark Plug Change (***DIY with Pics***)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-13, 03:06 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RX330 Rear Spark Plug Change (***DIY with Pics***)

I want to first take the opportunity to thank those that have helped me in particular HTOWNBLUE – his advice was extremely helpful so major props to a great (contributing) forum member.

I volunteered to do this for a couple reasons. First, I was asked by several to do this and there were always questions on whether to pull the intake, fabricate a magical jointed-extension socket thingy that will reach around the back of the intake, or remove wiper cowl. I chose to remove the TB, intake connector assembly and upper intake (surge tank) – and this created a clear passage to the rear spark plugs. Second, I also did this because it is expensive at your local Lexus dealer ranging from $650-$950. Sometimes you can find a special that Lexus or Toyota is running for ~$300 but it is rare. Some people change at 90k miles others at 120k miles. I did mine at 107k miles.

Below is my experience in doing this. I would rate it on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being most difficult probably a 7. It is not for the faint of heart – there is a lot of **** to remove and a lot of coolant lines to remember where to put back. Total time is ~5hrs. This is probably one of the biggest maintenance-related jobs on these cars next to the timing belt replacement.

Disclaimer: Attempt at your own risk. This is the method that I found most useful and efficient – yours may differ and may not be the exact as described herein. As with any do-it-yourself project, unfamiliarity with the tools and process can be dangerous. This project should be construed as theoretical advice.***I will not be held responsible for any injury or engine failure due to the misuse or misunderstanding of this DIY project****.

Parts needed:

- Denso long life iridium spark plugs – Denso part # SK20R11
- PCV (I changed mine) – Lexus part 1220420040
- Upper intake manifold/surge tank gasket (orange) – Lexus part # 1717620020
- Plenum gasket – Lexus part # 1712720010
- Intake flange (gray) gasket – Lexus part # 1711620010
- TB gasket – Lexus part # 2227120040

****Due to sheer file size and numbers of pics, the DIY is located in the attachment below*****

Please let me know if there is a better way to upload. File is PDF (35mb).

LET’S DO THIS!!!!!…..

https://www.mediafire.com/?em918woy9r5nu5f

or

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/fil...up-v2-pdf.html

Last edited by alchemist; 11-25-13 at 09:06 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by alchemist:
Broc (02-12-20), daddiojigg (02-04-18), janesmith (12-31-17), JBSGROUP (10-12-23), LRX05 (01-11-18)
Old 04-23-13, 03:07 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Also, please use this thread for any additional input, tips, etc. for this procedure. I consider it helpful to the community not thread jack.
Old 04-24-13, 06:41 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Am downloading the pdf and we'll see how we can avail of this easily, but thanks for your input. I have personal interest on this, I just did my SC and the RX will eventually be due.
Old 04-24-13, 08:12 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts

Notes: Clean your throttle body while you have it out.
The bracket bolts that attached to the rear of the throttle body and intake.....Start those FIRST before you tighten the intake and remaining throttle body bolts down. This will give you some needed play in the upper intake and throttle body to get them started as it is a tight fit behind there.

BE GENTLE with the coils. If you toss them around all ***** nilly those springs can sometimes break.

Look inside the spark plug tubes to make sure you don't have oil leaking in. just a precaution.

TIGHTEN THE MANIFOLD BOLTS carefully. They do not require a ton of tourque and they should be tightened in the proper order if possible. (inside to outter).

Use a white paint pen to mark your vacuum lines so as to know where they return to when reassembling.
Old 04-25-13, 06:44 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

More good tips, I have printed your DIY and are in the RX Binder for near future use. As well as tips and tricks. But your DIY is GREAT! Full of helpful details, A must have.
Old 04-27-13, 07:41 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
Notes: Clean your throttle body while you have it out.
The bracket bolts that attached to the rear of the throttle body and intake.....Start those FIRST before you tighten the intake and remaining throttle body bolts down. This will give you some needed play in the upper intake and throttle body to get them started as it is a tight fit behind there.

BE GENTLE with the coils. If you toss them around all ***** nilly those springs can sometimes break.

Look inside the spark plug tubes to make sure you don't have oil leaking in. just a precaution.

TIGHTEN THE MANIFOLD BOLTS carefully. They do not require a ton of tourque and they should be tightened in the proper order if possible. (inside to outter).

Use a white paint pen to mark your vacuum lines so as to know where they return to when reassembling.
All great suggestions thanks man. Especially the one about the intake brackets/surge tank stays
Old 05-06-13, 02:25 PM
john62395
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up! I have this saved for when I go in. It's going to be a while though as the dealer just replaced them.
Old 05-26-13, 08:11 AM
compdr59
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Great write up, thank you. I just did mine at 105k. The most difficult task was removing the two bolts in the back of the intake. I was only able to use an open end wrench, there was no room for anything else. The good news is the car is 9 years old, so I won't be doing it again for a very long time.
Old 06-01-13, 04:00 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Are any sealants needed to be applied to the gaskets or mated parts? Or was it just necessary to just replace the gaskets as supplied and bolt back snugly?
Old 06-01-13, 04:05 PM
alchemist
Instructor

No sealants
Old 06-05-13, 07:38 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Thanks....I ordered the gaskets and goin for the gold this weekend...fingers crossed...I'll let u know how it goes
Old 06-05-13, 10:00 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcfancy
Thanks....I ordered the gaskets and goin for the gold this weekend...fingers crossed...I'll let u know how it goes
Good Luck. Take your time. If you have any trouble post here and I or Htownblue will chime in.
Old 06-06-13, 01:44 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts

If you need too, you can use a little bit (emphasize little) of gasket silicone to put on the NEW GASKET FOR THE REAR COVER to help keep it in place (within the groove) as you push it toward the rear placement. It rubs and knocks against stuff so it can at times "fall" off and come out of the groove. I did this and let it dry for 20 minutes and it stayed in perfect alignment with the groove when reapplying the rear valve cover gasket.
Old 06-06-13, 08:25 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Did you mean to say Valve cover? No valve cover gasket is being removed?
Old 06-07-13, 06:47 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Did you mean to say Valve cover? No valve cover gasket is being removed?
you do not remove the valve cover, I think he is referring to the surge tank (upper intake) gasket which is the orange one

Quick Reply: RX330 Rear Spark Plug Change (***DIY with Pics***)