RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Check engine & VSC light ON

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-14, 04:37 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
Today the "check engine" and "VSC" lights came up on my 2007 RX (with about 42K miles). Looking at past forum comments some say it can be due to a faulty oxygen sensor. Interestingly, about a week ago I added 1/2 bottle of Red Line fuel cleaner to a full tank of gasoline (I last did this about 3 years and 20K miles ago). I'm wondering if the fuel cleaner impacted the the oxygen sensor since this just seem to be quite a coincidence. I would appreciate any thoughts on this. If the fuel cleaner is likely the culprit (releasing some debris that then mucked up the oxygen sensor, would someone please tell me which fuse(s) to pull on a 07RX because I thought I would use up the present tank of gas, refill with new gas and then reset the warning lights to see if the warnings reappear. Finally, if I do reset the warning lights but later take it to a dealer, can they see the old codes despite me resetting the warning lights? Thanks in advance!
Could just be a coincidence. Best to take it by one of the big box auto parts shops and have them pull the error codes using their scan tool. With that information we can give you a better idea of what is going on instead of just venturing various guesses.
Old 05-20-14, 05:43 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Of course I plan to get the codes read. I am just asking if any members have experienced oxygen sensor issues when they used a fuel system cleaner. And if so, has the problem gone away once you have gone on to use a fresh tank of gas?
Old 05-20-14, 06:20 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

With only 42K miles on the clock it is doubtful the fuel cleaner is removing much of any build up to have tripped the sensor, however, it is not unheard of. I would point to things such as the gas cap not being on tight or not sealing proper before pointing to an O2 sensor failure without seeing the codes being thrown though. Have used fuel additives for decades and never have seen it happen in any of my vehicles.

Seeing the low amount of miles on your RX, does it get a chance to hit the highway any for a good run?

Once the codes have been cleared there is no way to retrieve them back from the vehicle.
Old 05-21-14, 08:32 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Update: Last night I cleaned the gas cap "surfaces" and tightened well. I pulled the 2 EFI fuses waited a minute and then replaced. Upon start--up the check engine and VSC lights again lit up. But this morning, however, I started the car and the warning lights did not turn on and I drive about 8 miles (probably not related to pulling the fuses). When I later restarted, the lights once again turned on. Gas mileage on the way back was not impacted so a completely out-of-whack O2 sensor is probably not to blame. Still thinks it's the additive but will wait until I refill with fresh gas, pull the fuses again (if that even helped) and if I still have the lights I'll go to the dealer. BTW, I only use "top-tier" gas (Exxon-Mobil).
Old 05-21-14, 08:55 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

A bad O2 sensor does not cause poor gas mileage.

Would still be nice to know what codes are being thrown. But hey, that is your call.
Old 05-21-14, 10:29 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The '07 RX should be the 350 like mine, we got them a year earlier (don't ask me why) and every time mine lit the engine and VSC light, it was an ignition coil that went south.
Old 05-21-14, 11:36 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nipponbird
The '07 RX should be the 350 like mine, we got them a year earlier (don't ask me why) and every time mine lit the engine and VSC light, it was an ignition coil that went south.
My thinking as well and perhaps more likely considering past history on early RX350 postings here at CL. However, as it seems the OP does not want to get the vehicle hooked up to a OBDII scanner at the moment and wants to keep messing with the gas there is little we can do here until we know more.
Old 05-21-14, 12:05 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
My thinking as well and perhaps more likely considering past history on early RX350 postings here at CL. However, as it seems the OP does not want to get the vehicle hooked up to a OBDII scanner at the moment and wants to keep messing with the gas there is little we can do here until we know more.
Maybe you should get the info you gave me about the scanner options on a sticky. In the olden days we had some tricks up our sleeves to get a reluctant car, purring like a kitten again and wanted to carry on with that, despite the fact that you don't 'tune' a car with a screw driver anymore, but with a laptop (in a manner of speaking). Waiting for those lights to lite up again, I got my scanner ready!
Old 05-21-14, 12:20 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Maybe you should get the info you gave me about the scanner options on a sticky. In the olden days we had some tricks up our sleeves to get a reluctant car, purring like a kitten again and wanted to carry on with that, despite the fact that you don't 'tune' a car with a screw driver anymore, but with a laptop (in a manner of speaking). Waiting for those lights to lite up again, I got my scanner ready!
As you are probably well aware, best to be familiar with the scanner before you need it. Hook it up, scan, play around with the settings even if you are not having any problems or CEL's on. Besides, there may be a problem not tripping one of the idiot lights.