RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Timing Belt 2004 RX330 Any Thoughts?

Old 03-28-13, 02:37 AM
R3Wood
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
I have done 5 of these jobs. 3 at around 90 K, 1 around 110, and 1 at 122,000 miles.
hold up
ALL THE BELTS LOOKED EXTREMELY GOOD. There was little to no wear on the belts what so ever.

120K is not even a stretch for the life of these belts. I did mine at 90K, and I now have nearly 200K on mine, and won't even touch it until 210K or maybe 220K. The factory belts are extremely good and hold up very well.
Thanks. Great information. I don't mind doing maintenance but hate spending money on the vehicle if I don't have to.
Old 03-28-13, 02:39 AM
R3Wood
Rookie

Thanks all. The advice is great stuff.
Old 03-28-13, 03:39 AM
CJ7Hokie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done 5 of these jobs. 3 at around 90 K, 1 around 110, and 1 at 122,000 miles.
hold up
ALL THE BELTS LOOKED EXTREMELY GOOD. There was little to no wear on the belts what so ever.

120K is not even a stretch for the life of these belts. I did mine at 90K, and I now have nearly 200K on mine, and won't even touch it until 210K or maybe 220K. The factory belts are extremely good and hold up very well.
Hi,
My wife's 2006 RX has ~ 93K. Dealer said that it should be changed at 90K, and that they "look" at the water pump to see if it needs to be replaced. How can a visual inpection, other than signs of leakage, tell you if you should replace the pump or not? Should I spend the extra money, and go ahead and replace the pump when I do the belt too? (btw, will not be done by Lexus dealership) Also, should I replace the other belts now, or wait as well?

Thanks
Old 03-28-13, 07:26 AM
R3Wood
Rookie

Originally Posted by CJ7Hokie
Hi,
My wife's 2006 RX has ~ 93K. Dealer said that it should be changed at 90K, and that they "look" at the water pump to see if it needs to be replaced. How can a visual inpection, other than signs of leakage, tell you if you should replace the pump or not? Should I spend the extra money, and go ahead and replace the pump when I do the belt too? (btw, will not be done by Lexus dealership) Also, should I replace the other belts now, or wait as well?

Thanks
CJ,

90 or so seems to be the magic number. I am going to do it all, belts, water pump, idler and tensioner bearings and drive belt, when I am ready.
Old 03-28-13, 10:02 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ7Hokie
Hi,

Thanks
Since you can get an Aisin water pump for ~$60, I would go ahead and do it. It is not much extra labor because you are essentially already in the right location to do timing belt. and yes do the other belts too.
Old 03-28-13, 10:04 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

hold up

this is why i am waiting. question though, did you do water pumps, tensioners, etc on all of them?
Old 03-28-13, 01:23 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts

Hokie,
replace it all if you do it. The Water pumps won't even begin to show bearing wear for at least 100K. Every one I did barely even felt like the water pump bearing had been worn. If you have it apart though, make sure and do the entire job while you can and save you some money in case you decided to replace individually in the future.

I am serious though when I say the belt is nothing to worry about until 110K or 120K. The Water pump I pulled at 120K felt a slight bit worn when turning the pulley, but hardly severely worn or at risk of coming out.
Old 03-29-13, 05:20 PM
Formula271
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my belt replaced at ~125,000 at my local Lexus dealership. I wasn't planning on replacing the waterpump, but there were signs of leakage at the shaft, so I had that replaced at the same time.

Total cost was a little under $900. I know my bill was high compared to local mechanic, DIY, etc., but $2000 is outrageous.

Also worth noting is that the belt looked like new. I would not hesitate to put another 130,000 miles on this one.
Old 03-30-13, 05:07 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Fwiw, my local Toyota dealer is happy to do Lexus work. He quoted a price of around $550 for timing belt and water pump using Toyota/Lexus branded parts.
Old 03-30-13, 02:11 PM
Formula271
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
Fwiw, my local Toyota dealer is happy to do Lexus work. He quoted a price of around $550 for timing belt and water pump using Toyota/Lexus branded parts.
That's great when they are willing to do it. Our local Toyota dealer will not (Lexus dealer is right down the street). I didn't think they were owned by the same, but that's the only thing that makes sense for them to refuse business and refer to the other. Also, the monthly special "coupons" that they often advertise make it very clear that they apply to Toyota only.
Old 03-30-13, 08:16 PM
LXtiming
Driver School Candidate

I recently had a timing belt break on my 2001 Lx470 WITH 174,000 miles. I had changed the belt at 100,000 miles, so this second belt only lasted a little over 74,000. Everything I read on the internet, led me to believe that because the 4.7 litre engine is an "interference" engine, it would be toast, i.e., bent valves, holes in pistons, etc. This is not necessarily true. I had the vehicle towed to my mechanic, he put a new timing belt on, and it started right up. He installed the timing belt kit (water pump, pulleys, seals, etc.) and it is running great. In fact, it is running better than ever! There is no way to actually "inspect" a timing belt for wear. The rule of thumb is to replace as preventive maintenance every 80-100K miles. But, as stated above, mine went out at just under 75K miles. I know I was extremely lucky that there was absolutely no engine damage. But, don't believe those who say that a timing belt failure will absolutely result in engine damage. It is possible that no damage at all will result. Don't give up. If your timing belt fails, there is still hope. Personal experience and not "hearsay."
Old 03-30-13, 09:05 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula271
That's great when they are willing to do it. Our local Toyota dealer will not (Lexus dealer is right down the street). I didn't think they were owned by the same, but that's the only thing that makes sense for them to refuse business and refer to the other. Also, the monthly special "coupons" that they often advertise make it very clear that they apply to Toyota only.
Same here in Canada [then again, the labor rate is almost the same in either shop], and any Toyota dealer doesn't 'have the system' to check for parts/run VIN's, each brand is specific to its own...
Old 04-01-13, 07:57 AM
fancyjean
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gusar
I've got all three belts (including timing) replaced at 146,000 km. They looked OK. But I spent only $350 for independent mechanic (price included belts). I gave him authorization to replace pump in case it needed, but he said it was OK.
Reading through your messages about the timing belt. I have a 2010 that is at 70k so I am planning. Can I ask, do you have a great mechanic? I think I am not too far from you and I am out of luck on mechanics. And my Lexus dealership has changed hands and I no longer get good service by them, or straight talk. Let me know if you have any local tips on service. Thanks.
Old 04-01-13, 10:00 AM
LEXRX04
Driver

I would say if the book states at certain intervals for major things, I would stick to that. By all means, you can go longer than the suggested 90k for the timing belt. But do you want to go longer in hopes that something won't happen?Or just know that it has been taking care of and move forward? I admit some of the suggested things in the manual are a little bull...but major things...nah they are there for a reason. just my 2 cents.
Old 04-01-13, 10:08 AM
CJ7Hokie
Driver School Candidate

Hokie,
replace it all if you do it. The Water pumps won't even begin to show bearing wear for at least 100K. Every one I did barely even felt like the water pump bearing had been worn. If you have it apart though, make sure and do the entire job while you can and save you some money in case you decided to replace individually in the future.

I am serious though when I say the belt is nothing to worry about until 110K or 120K. The Water pump I pulled at 120K felt a slight bit worn when turning the pulley, but hardly severely worn or at risk of coming out.
Thank you all for the info. Regarding the Aisin water pump, is that the OEM water pump, or just a recomended replacement?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing Belt 2004 RX330 Any Thoughts?