RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330 or 4Runner Limited

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-13, 05:21 PM
mortey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 330 or 4Runner Limited

Hello all,

First time poster but long time lurker.

I have recently decided that I want to get an SUV for my 2 big labradors, being higher up, more room (6'5), and I just generally like the way SUVs look. Anyways, it has come down to a used RX 330 or a 2003-2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited. If there was a huge price discrepancy between the two cars then my decision would be a lot easier but oddly enough I am finding that these two SUVs, with around the same mileage are going for about the same cost.

I realize I am in a Lexus forum and most, if not all, of you will say to get the Lexus but I know a few people that have both Lexus' and 4Runners' and enjoy them both.

Yes I have sat in and driven both. 4Runner plus: big SUV with plenty of room for camping and dog gear, great engine and no problems getting up to speed, Toyota so cheaper than Lexus to fix, surprisingly comfortable and quiet on the raod, more manly looking than RX? Cons: not quite as luxurious as RX, terrible mpg, might be too big for my older neighborhood (driveway is quite small), and do I REALLY need that big an SUV?

Lexus Pros: extremely good looking SUV, the luxuriousness is unbelievable, much better stock radio, smaller and easier to fit into parking spots, it's a Lexus! . Cons: Lexus so it will be more to fix than Toyota, not sure how big it is for my dogs if I want them in there, worried that 90k or more miles might be too much for a luxury car (repair costs soon?)

So my question to you guys is: do you have any thoughts on what I should do? Do some of you have big dogs that go in your lexus (Pictures would be AWESOME!)?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 03-25-13, 06:58 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a family member with two chocolate labs who owns a 2nd Generation RX. Any time they need to take the dogs any place they take the Tundra. You really cannot put them in the back of an RX with anything else of note for a trip and they would need to remain laying down the entire time.

FWIW, you can take an RX to a Toyota shop for service. Same V6 engine as a Highlander or RAV4. Only a few things which require a Lexus dealer to work on.
Old 03-25-13, 07:11 PM
lexusfan05
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 4runner (SR5, not Limited) that I traded in for an RX for my wife. 4runner is more comparable to GX, not RX. I did not like the ride on SR5, mileage was terrible as you mentioned, and driving at highway speed was difficult due to the non-aerodynamic shape. The power steering was also much stiffer on SR5. For longer trips, RX is much more comfortable.
Don't automatically assume 4Runner will be cheaper to fix compared to RX. I heard the airbag suspensions are pretty expensive in 4Runner Limited, if you have one.
Old 03-25-13, 08:28 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I would think with two labs that room is going to be tight...But it is possible with RX, But the 4runner diffinetly has more room....
Old 03-25-13, 08:44 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Do some of you have big dogs that go in your lexus (Pictures would be AWESOME!)?

I have a Chocolate Lab and she rides in the RX just fine. I have taken her on numerous trips up to 300 miles with luggage. She lies down most of the way. She also has an iron bladder, but I aways make at least one pit stop.
Attached Thumbnails RX 330 or 4Runner Limited-haylee.jpg  
Old 03-25-13, 09:06 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing you didn't mention. How many passengers are in the vehicle? If it's only two you can fold the rear seats flat and have more than enough room for camping gear and dogs. Otherwise you may want to go with the 4Runner.
Old 03-26-13, 05:32 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Take the 4Runner, you need space.
Old 03-26-13, 06:59 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

If your plan is to put a wire crate in the rear for the dogs, it likely won't fit in the 2004 RX. I have a medium size dog, (35 pounds) and his wire crate won't fit in the back. I was able to get a rather large soft-crate in there however. This one:
Amazon.com: Firstrax N2-36 NOZTONOZ Sof-Krate Indoor/Outdoor Pet Home: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Firstrax N2-36 NOZTONOZ Sof-Krate Indoor/Outdoor Pet Home: Pet Supplies
There would be room for two of these soft crates, BTW, depending on the size.

Much of the routine service on a RX can be done by an independent mechanic or by Toyota. Many Lexus dealerships do charge a premium for all the "free" food, "free" loaner, etc.. My Lexus dealership has just announced complementary pedicures, manicures and massages.

I believe the service costs would be, or could be, about the same for these vehicles if you are a smart shopper.

I would say the RX is a much more refined vehicle and even approaching 10 YO, my 2004 RX still feels and rides like a new car. I'll likely be looking to purchase another RX this fall.

Good luck with your choice and welcome to the CL forum, mortey.

Last edited by jfelbab; 03-26-13 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-26-13, 08:02 AM
mortey
Driver School Candidate

Wow! Thanks for all the great replies!

A couple comments

I was going to have my labs just in the back on a bed. No cages. That is a good point about them not being able to sit up and such in the RX. That might be a problem on longer road trips. Later I will try and post a picture. Thanks to Rainbird for posting a picture of your adorable chocolate lab!

I was surprised with how well the 4Runner was compared to my expectations. The one thing I really noticed versus driving the Lexus was that the 4runner didn't handle higher speeds that great. That may be a problem with the 4Runner I drove, but it seemed the steering wheel shook a lot as compared to the Lexus which was very Lexus like and composed.

Thanks for the points about Toyota dealerships and independent repair shops for maintenance. I did call yesterday and got some price quotes for my area (Southern California). Includes tax, title, license

Timing belt: Lexus: $728.62 Toyota: $250
Front Brake w/ refacing: Lexus: $352.62 Toyota: $200
Front Power Window regulator w/o motor: Lexus: 369.59 Toyota: $350

One thing to note is that the Service department at Lexus was EXTREMELY kind and helpful. She was one of the nicest people I've ever talked to on the phone and pulled up quotes from the computer. Toyota on the other hand, was impossible to reach. I called 4 times and 2 different dealerships. Additionally, the guy didn't go into the computer for quotes and just did it off the top of his head. Insisted that Lexus was just double whatever Toyota was.
Old 03-26-13, 08:51 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Mortey, keep in mind that you are really looking at two different types of vehicles. The RX is a unibody construction, much like a car. The 4Runner is still a body on frame construction, if I remember correct, much like it has been for years. The new Nissan Pathfinder has switched to unibody, so it is more car-like and had a different ride as a result. The 4Runner is still a truck at heart and one of the last of its kind.

Another thing to keep in mind is the difference in transmissions. Even if you get AWD in the RX it is not a dual range as available in the 4Runner and, therefore, not as capable if you are looking for an off-road mountain vehicle. I will say that even with 6" of snow on the ground over unplowed backroads I have never had a problem in my RX with just FWD.

Not trying to talk you out of an RX. Just sounds like it might not be the best fit. When I travel from FL to my cabin in PA it is not uncommon to have a full RX with just the things I need to bring with me. Throwing in a pair of animals would be out of the question. Though, if you are looking at just day trips with the dogs you might be OK. A long trip might be out of the question. You can put down an all-weather mat to clean up after the dogs in the back if you go that way.
Old 03-26-13, 08:56 AM
mortey
Driver School Candidate

Thanks RX330inFL! I am aware that the 4Runner truly is one of the last truck based SUVs on the market and is different than the RX. However, oddly enough they are in the same price range and since my needs are varied between a daily commuter who enjoys luxury touches and also the desire to use it to haul christmas trees, dogs, and other things, that's what makes it difficult. If one was significantly cheaper than the other, then it would be an easier decision. As it is, they are so close that it makes it hard to see.

That's a good point that if I went camping for a few nights, it would be more difficult to load up the RX and also the dogs into it. However, I don't know how often I will be doing that. That's why I'm so confused!
Old 03-26-13, 10:11 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Why not get both? LOL...it is tough to decide.
Old 03-26-13, 01:51 PM
DPJ
Driver School Candidate

The RX is based on a Camry/Highlander. The 4 Runner is truck based and a true off road vehicle.
Old 03-26-13, 02:57 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mortey
Thanks RX330inFL! I am aware that the 4Runner truly is one of the last truck based SUVs on the market and is different than the RX. However, oddly enough they are in the same price range and since my needs are varied between a daily commuter who enjoys luxury touches and also the desire to use it to haul christmas trees, dogs, and other things, that's what makes it difficult. If one was significantly cheaper than the other, then it would be an easier decision. As it is, they are so close that it makes it hard to see.

That's a good point that if I went camping for a few nights, it would be more difficult to load up the RX and also the dogs into it. However, I don't know how often I will be doing that. That's why I'm so confused!
There was a thread recently on the topic of a soft-sided roof carrier from Amazon, but I cannot find it. Perhaps someone can find it and post. That would be one way to go. Dogs get to ride inside while you stow most of your gear there.

Another would be to look with an RX with the towing package installed. That would be the transmission cooler, larger alternator, etc. though it does not include the tow hitch itself. That would be a bonus if you find one which already had the hitch. Then, you could just rent a small U-Haul when needed for your gear and travels. So, different ways to think about this depending on your needs. Might come in handy for other needs as well in the future.
Old 03-26-13, 03:07 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Id go 4Runner but they are hard to find in my area, with most containing high miles, maybe a result of there great reliability.

Quick Reply: RX 330 or 4Runner Limited