RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New RX330...Its official...Spy picture!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-02, 01:56 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Egads... that sloped back makes it look more and more like a station wagon or hatchback, and does nothing to maximize cargo space. If I wanted a station wagon looking sport ute, then I'd buy a Subaru....

Newer isn't always better.

And if yer looking for the specifics of the wheelbase, track, etc, then look no further then the Highlander. It's been known for sometime that the next gen RX would be based on the Highlander chassis, which is slightly longer than the current RX.
Old 12-13-02, 02:32 PM
Justin_T.W.
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As more often as I look at the new pic (RX on the beach) the 1999 Mazda Nextourer Concept comes to my mind. Look at the pic below and then tell me that you see some similarities too ?! I was always fascinated of the Mazda Concept and thought that it should be a Lexus because of the style. Well, now we have a brand new Lexus that looks somehow similar. Great !!!! I like this new RX more and more. I can`t wait until testdriving it.
Attached Thumbnails New RX330...Its official...Spy picture!!-lexus-mazda.jpg  
Old 12-13-02, 04:02 PM
Static911

I was emailed this picture.
Attached Thumbnails New RX330...Its official...Spy picture!!-untitled.jpg  
Old 12-15-02, 02:51 AM
RX330
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Looks youthful. Nicer than the IS300 sportcross. Perhaps this is how Toyota is going to attracts the youngster.

Old 12-17-02, 01:09 AM
xsfo
Pole Position

It does look similar to the IS Sportcross. Sort of like a Sportcross on steroids with AWD. What bothers me is that the design is pretty much what Toyota decided on 5 years ago. (There are design patents that date back that far) In the time Toyota has had since the first RX, they haven't reacted/redesigned to other competitors' designs really. It's more of an evolution. Some design faults like the turning radius were improved but lookwise, too much of the styling is the same.

Some of this is due to the original RX's popularity. Toyota didn't want to mess with a best seller. HOWEVER, their styling changes are big enough to get an "ew!" reaction in my opinion. Mostly it's the rear lights design/placement and chunky D pillar. The front is pretty much the same, but it could've look a lot more angular and aggressive like the GX. The result is while it is similar to the first gen RX it isn't as striking. When I see the new RX, I don't immediately like it. That't too bad. It really should...

I'm afraid this RX will be a end up like the 2nd gen Nissan Altima. How's that you ask? The 1st gen Altima was a big seller for Nissan (1994-1997). When they redesigned it, not wanting to mess with a best seller, they just made the 2nd gen a little bigger and modified the rear. Well that 2nd gen Altima did not sell as well as the 1st gen Altima. Many complained that the 2nd gen Altima was uglier than the 1st gen. And it was.

Now Lexus ain't Nissan. And the new RX ain't no Murano. (That's a good thing) So Lexus is probably going to do OK in sales with the 2nd gen RX. Hell, I'm probably going to get one. But I figure that good RX sales will be due more to features/price ratio and the popularity of the Luxury Utility Vehicle (LUV) market than its styling.

I really wish the new styling made me want to get it immediately. Instead it's going to be one of those designs that has to grow on you. I remember when the original RX came out. It was "Wow, I gotta get one of those" for me. Not this new RX.

I'm a little surprised that the new RX is going to be a bit longer than the current RX. About an additional 6" in length and 1" in width. It can make a difference when parallel parking in the city.
Old 12-17-02, 03:25 AM
Harrier
Pole Position

I remember when I heard about the RX back in '96, I was already excited. When I finally saw pictures in early '98, I was sold. But let's go back in time to figure out why I had that reaction then, and maybe not so now.

SUVs with body on frame design were nonexistent. The RX was the first SUV to drive like a car (one of its biggest marketing points). Its main (only, pretty much) competitor at the time was the horribly ugly, fake wood veneered ML320. The "tall wagon" look was nonexistent. The blue LCD screen that came as standard was unique, even though many critics hated its functionality (I loved it for its uniqueness). Great package, great price.

Now... we come back to today. The success of the RX300 spawned several competitors: X5, MDX, XC90, FX45. All of these cars improved upon the RX's formula in many ways. But which model is still outselling all of the others (too soon to say in regards to the last two cars)? The RX. So being Toyota, what do you do? Go revolutionary, or evolutionary?

I don't know. I'd have to sit inside the new RX to say for sure. I was never too crazy about the first gen RX's rear anyway. It was really the interior that sold me, particularly the one from the driver's seat.
Old 12-20-02, 02:02 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

RX330 Pic

http://www.tvnet.lv/lifestyle/auto/n...php?id=1405231

They also have a great spy photo on the front page of "Automotive News"
Old 12-20-02, 02:15 AM
xsfo
Pole Position

RX330 sideview picture from article at http://www.tvnet.lv/lifestyle/auto/n...php?id=1405231
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-03, 12:36 AM
xsfo
Pole Position

Bump.

We'll see how close this is to the NAIAS announcement soon enough.
Old 07-28-11, 07:41 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought this was interesting and reading thoughts of almost ten years ago. Post #47 is interesting because the 2010 Rx resembles that Mazda in the picture.