RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New member and taking delivery of an 06 RX330 with 28k miles !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-13, 06:36 PM
Rx3trenta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member and taking delivery of an 06 RX330 with 28k miles !!!!

Used to own a Lexus IS300 sport wagon so it was an easy choice to go back to Lexus. This RX was the choice for the SUV and I just can't pass on this deal. Anyway, saw the issue on the headlight condensation first hand with this RX I'm purchasing and owner can only offer me 1 key. 2 Questions when you sealed it with silicon, does the condensation happen again and Is the dealership only the one who can cut the keys ? I'll post pictures as I take delivery this week. thanks.
Old 02-24-13, 06:57 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx3trenta
Used to own a Lexus IS300 sport wagon so it was an easy choice to go back to Lexus. This RX was the choice for the SUV and I just can't pass on this deal. Anyway, saw the issue on the headlight condensation first hand with this RX I'm purchasing and owner can only offer me 1 key. 2 Questions when you sealed it with silicon, does the condensation happen again and Is the dealership only the one who can cut the keys ? I'll post pictures as I take delivery this week. thanks.
Welcome to Club Lexus, Rx3trenta.

If done correctly, the silicone fix as presented does the job quite nicely and should be lasting.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...densation.html

As for keys, others can cut the keys, however, only the dealer or qualified shop has the tool to program the transponder to the vehicle. Very few outside the dealership have that. Here is one place some have used to get keys made. You can contact them to see if they have the key transponders for sale that you need.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/1010keys/m.html

Take your VIN # to the dealership (with proof of ownership) and ask for the key code information. Parts department should be able to help with that. With code information, 1010keys or others can cut the keys to spec instead of having to go by looks.
Old 02-25-13, 03:10 AM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Welcome to Club Lexus, Rx3trenta.

If done correctly, the silicone fix as presented does the job quite nicely and should be lasting.

As for keys, others can cut the keys, however, only the dealer or qualified shop has the tool to program the transponder to the vehicle. Very few outside the dealership have that. Here is one place some have used to get keys made. You can contact them to see if they have the key transponders for sale that you need.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/1010keys/m.html

Take your VIN # to the dealership (with proof of ownership) and ask for the key code information. Parts department should be able to help with that. With code information, 1010keys or others can cut the keys to spec instead of having to go by looks.
1010keys can also decode your key with just a clear picture of the key you have and cut keys for you. But as far as programming the transponder chip, I am not sure.
Old 02-25-13, 08:53 AM
DPJ
Driver School Candidate

I bought 2 empty key shells cut to my key number on eBay for around $25. I bought a used Lexus key on eBay for $38 for the electronics. I brought it to Toyota to program. They charged 1/2 hr rate.

If you shop around Lexus will sell you a key cut to your key number for $150 and program it for 1/2 hr rate.
Old 03-04-13, 04:35 PM
Rx3trenta
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks for the info

so my wife drove it over the weekend and came home with a Check engine and VSC light so I took it straight to auto parts store to read the codes - P0171 an P0174. They recommended for me to go to Toyota for diagnostics. So I did and while I'm there ask about replacement of the headlight. They confirmed the same codes and quoted 719 and get this... 1750 for the headlights.... really... so i did look at sewall website and it does add up to that price if they replace it.. what other alternatives to do I have?
Old 03-04-13, 04:45 PM
Rx3trenta
Driver School Candidate

pics of the headlight condensation and the odometer at 28 k
Attached Thumbnails New member and taking delivery of an 06 RX330  with 28k miles !!!!-imag0146.jpg   New member and taking delivery of an 06 RX330  with 28k miles !!!!-imag0154.jpg  
Old 03-04-13, 04:53 PM
Rx3trenta
Driver School Candidate

interior w/o NAV
Attached Thumbnails New member and taking delivery of an 06 RX330  with 28k miles !!!!-imag0147.jpg   New member and taking delivery of an 06 RX330  with 28k miles !!!!-imag0149.jpg  
Old 03-04-13, 04:54 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

so my wife drove it over the weekend and came home with a Check engine and VSC light so I took it straight to auto parts store to read the codes - P0171 an P0174. They recommended for me to go to Toyota for diagnostics. So I did and while I'm there ask about replacement of the headlight. They confirmed the same codes and quoted 719 and get this... 1750 for the headlights.... really... so i did look at sewall website and it does add up to that price if they replace it.. what other alternatives to do I have?
Regarding your error codes... not saying this is the problem but it is worth a read:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...074-codes.html
Old 03-04-13, 05:03 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

As for your headlights, you do not say which ones you have. Stock halogens or HID?? With or without AFS?

Here are the stock halogen replacements on eBay if you want to go that route:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-RX350-...item485050163d

Regardless, anything you use as a replacement should be sealed as well. Even the replacements can have problems.
Old 03-04-13, 05:16 PM
Rx3trenta
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all this info RX330inFL. I'm from JAX FL myself.. hid with afs.

As for your headlights, you do not say which ones you have. Stock halogens or HID?? With or without AFS?

Here are the stock halogen replacements on eBay if you want to go that route:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-RX350-...item485050163d

Regardless, anything you use as a replacement should be sealed as well. Even the replacements can have problems.
Old 03-04-13, 06:12 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Thanks for all this info RX330inFL. I'm from JAX FL myself.. hid with afs.
Those are expensive, even used. And, the ones you find used many times seem to have broken tabs, etc. So, be warned in advance. You might be best off cleaning up the ones you have and sealing them.

Old 03-05-13, 12:45 AM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are expensive, even used. And, the ones you find used many times seem to have broken tabs, etc. So, be warned in advance. You might be best off cleaning up the ones you have and sealing them.

With 28k on this nice new (to you) rig, don't lose too much sleep over the headlights. If it were me, I would just dry out the headlights, and if you are handy, take them out, take off the bottom covers and let the HID ballast units dry out completely. Then re-assembly, seal the seams and avoid car washes. I just use the self-serv car wash bay at my local car wash and I never spray directly head-on into the headlights. I rinse from the top down on the headlights. This is a nice vehicle, and if you get past the headlight issue, life is good As mentioned, even replacements can have the issue, so if the HID and AFS are working, why bother replacing. I just got a used leveling motor on ebay for $9 as a spare. I plan to get a ballast (around $100 also on ebay) as well just to have on hand, as I had a leaking headlight unit and the ballast was all corroded, but works. Then if one goes out, I will have a spare. No lost sleep.
Old 03-05-13, 09:13 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

^^ Good advise. The car has a lot more to offer than wet head lamps.