RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

1st post, 1st Lexus, 06 RX 400h

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 04:02 PM
Psychocndy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st post, 1st Lexus, 06 RX 400h

Hola Lexus folks,

I just purchased my 1st Lexus after a run of 12 consecutive BMW's. Here is the current E36 fleet:
  • 99 328is M sport Fern/sand
  • 99 M3 Alpine/Magma
  • 97 328i sedan Alpine/Magma daily driver
  • 98 328is wrecked parts car silver/dove

It is my perception that BMW quality, reliability and DIY friendliness started to decline around 2000 with the E46's on.... I had a bad experience with an E90 sedan and decided to go back to the reliable E36 platform with the bulletproof inline 6s. Unfortunately, the family is growing and all my cars have some miles. So comfort, reliability and economy were major factors in vetting out many small to mid-sized SUV's.

I chose the Lexus over the following models:
  • Mazda CX-5
  • Acura MDX
  • BMW X3/X5
  • Nissan Murano
  • Ford Edge
  • Volvo XC60/XC90
  • Audi Q5
  • MB GL/GLK

The RX is silver on grey, not my fav color combo but found a relatively good deal on a well-maintained and equipped 400h with 53k miles for under $20k. I would have preferred the white/tan color combo. I found a model similarly equipped in Ohio but the dealer wouldn't come down under $24k and I wasn't about to pay a $4k premium for the color.

The car has ML sound, rear seat ent, rain sensing wipers, heated seats, etc. I would have liked to have the adaptive xenons, but perhaps can add them down the road.

I must admit I am a German car nut and spend most of my time on bimmerforums.com. But I realized that at this stage of life I need reliability more than performance as we will start college visits, etc. The Lexus seem to offer a good blend of economy, comfort, luxury, dependability and surprisingly, performance. In addition, during the last winer ice/snow storm both BMW's were immobilized by the conditions and, embarassingly, I had to get a ride home from a stranger.

I am looking forward to learning more about the car from forum resources. I like to perform my own maintenance and don't really know much about this design. I know I will miss the location of the BMW oil filters :^(

My first question is around the timing belt. I wish Lexus would have used a chain and not a belt like BMW. I had an Audi A4 1.8T's belt break @ 92k miles, 13k miles before the recommended service interval. I later got my $4k back when a class action lawsuit came about, but the financial pain was extremely impactful at the time. Is it a good idea to replace the belt prior to the 90k mile service interval? I looked at the procedure/DIY and think I could do this myself for just the parts cost.

My first mod will be to add some type of ipod connectivity as we will be driving the vehicle to Ft. Lauderdale and back in early March. I have been researching this and it seems pretty simple. Any feedback on your experiences here would be helpful, but I know the search tool is my friend.

Anyhow, looking forward to receiving the vehicle next week and will provide feedback on the driving experience.

Lastly, if you need a well-maintained M3 or 328is let me know

Last edited by Psychocndy; 02-21-13 at 06:15 PM. Reason: adding pics
Old 02-21-13, 04:35 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome Psychocndy post some photos after you get it home. There is a lot of good information on these forums. You will get even more feedback from the "Hybrid Forum" where the 400h guys hang out. here is a link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-187/

You should register at the Lexus Owner's website. The complete Lexus service history of your vehicle will be there as well as any warranty work or recalls. You will need the VIN to complete the registration.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 02-21-13, 05:17 PM
Psychocndy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Welcome Psychocndy post some photos after you get it home. There is a lot of good information on these forums. You will get even more feedback from the "Hybrid Forum" where the 400h guys hang out. here is a link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-187/

You should register at the Lexus Owner's website. The complete Lexus service history of your vehicle will be there as well as any warranty work or recalls. You will need the VIN to complete the registration.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Thank you for the kind welcome and valuable information. Much appreciated!
Old 02-21-13, 05:29 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Psychocndy
My first question is around the timing belt. I wish Lexus would have used a chain and not a belt like BMW.
Welcome to Club Lexus, Psychocndy.

Starting with the 2007 RX350 Lexus switched to a timing chain instead of a belt, but the hybrid had to wait a bit for their new engine. Many here have gone past 90K miles on the stock belt with no problem and when they were taken off they did look in good condition. However, you are looking at a time issue here as well. You should probably change out before 10 years, IMO. There is also the decision on replacing the water pump at the same time along with all the seals.

Keep in mind that the 400h engine is very much the same if not the exact same as the Highlander of the same vintage. So, if you are looking at repair manuals or other details you may find the Highlander details before anything for the RX. Common repair parts are available as well without the cost of the Lexus logo.

BTW, I would be asking now about the number of keys they will be giving you. You should get two (2) full keys, plus a valet key along with an emergency credit card key w/transponder which slips conveniently in your wallet or in your Owner's Manual. As the keys are expensive to replace, the transponders need to be programmed to the vehicle by the dealer, get them to provide those up front before signing off on the deal. Will save yourself some headaches after the fact. Also, check for the tonneau cover to be included, it was standard.
Old 02-21-13, 06:00 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Welcome to CL Psychocndy!

You will not regret you switch over.

Lots of reading to do.

Good luck and post pics when you can.
Old 02-21-13, 06:24 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

The wood shift **** looks out of place. That can be replaced.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-ORIGIN...fe6d16&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STYLISH-BLAC...a90e08&vxp=mtr

Looks like you are missing the rear cargo area mat. Thought that was standard. Hopefully, they have it with the floor mats.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2006/2825.html

I notice in the pictures when looking inside through the hatch the piece of plastic between the rear seats has turned yellow. My RX330 is the same way. Same with the multi-colored roof rack due to oxidation. Many of us have purchased a kit from Sewell to remove the roof rack.
Old 02-22-13, 08:02 AM
Psychocndy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Welcome to Club Lexus, Psychocndy.

Starting with the 2007 RX350 Lexus switched to a timing chain instead of a belt, but the hybrid had to wait a bit for their new engine. Many here have gone past 90K miles on the stock belt with no problem and when they were taken off they did look in good condition. However, you are looking at a time issue here as well. You should probably change out before 10 years, IMO. There is also the decision on replacing the water pump at the same time along with all the seals.

Keep in mind that the 400h engine is very much the same if not the exact same as the Highlander of the same vintage. So, if you are looking at repair manuals or other details you may find the Highlander details before anything for the RX. Common repair parts are available as well without the cost of the Lexus logo.

BTW, I would be asking now about the number of keys they will be giving you. You should get two (2) full keys, plus a valet key along with an emergency credit card key w/transponder which slips conveniently in your wallet or in your Owner's Manual. As the keys are expensive to replace, the transponders need to be programmed to the vehicle by the dealer, get them to provide those up front before signing off on the deal. Will save yourself some headaches after the fact. Also, check for the tonneau cover to be included, it was standard.
Thanks for the advice and information. I might have targeted a 2007-08 if I would have known about the timing chain.

Good thought on using Highlander parts, I do the same thing with my BMW motorcycle which shares parts with some of the Japanese bikes.

I never thought about the key issue, I'll call today to see if they have everything. Thanks for bringing to my attention.

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Welcome to CL Psychocndy!

You will not regret you switch over.

Lots of reading to do.

Good luck and post pics when you can.
Thank you! agreed....lot's of reading ahead....

The wood shift **** looks out of place. That can be replaced.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-ORIGIN...fe6d16&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STYLISH-BLAC...a90e08&vxp=mtr

Looks like you are missing the rear cargo area mat. Thought that was standard. Hopefully, they have it with the floor mats.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2006/2825.html

I notice in the pictures when looking inside through the hatch the piece of plastic between the rear seats has turned yellow. My RX330 is the same way. Same with the multi-colored roof rack due to oxidation. Many of us have purchased a kit from Sewell to remove the roof rack.
The listing said it included the rear cargo mat, hopefully so or I am out another $90.

Good eye for detail noticing the plastic discoloration. I guess I'll have to see it in person to determine if it is something I can live with or need to remedy.

I will be keeping the roof rack as the fam will be investing in kayaks this year now that we have a means of transporting them.

I have registered with Lexus per Rainbird's suggestion and was looking through the service history, which seems to be pretty robust. It appears the PO made most of the scheduled maint check ups. I do have one question: I see "Non-Warrantable Operation Code" on the report multiple times. Does anyone know what this in reference to? Or is this general descriptor too broad to define in specific terms?

Thanks again to all for the kind comments and support!
Old 02-22-13, 08:16 AM
Rainbird

A Non Warrantable Operation Code is a service performed on the car that is not covered by warranty (adding air to tires, changing light bulb, adding washer fluid, etc).
Old 02-22-13, 10:27 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice looking RX. Only thing I would do ( interior ) is remove the wood shifter **** for a Black one.
Old 02-22-13, 12:00 PM
Rainbird

The Cargo Mat was was not standard equipment. The factory sticker on my 2007 shows I paid $92.00 extra for it.
Old 02-22-13, 12:03 PM
LEXRX04
Driver

Very nice...welcome to the site!!! I am sure you will enjoy the new toy.
Old 02-22-13, 01:11 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rainbird
The Cargo Mat was was not standard equipment. The factory sticker on my 2007 shows I paid $92.00 extra for it.
You are correct. Why I said "thought" as I figured it was included in one package or another. Guess that allowed you to purchase the all-weather edition if you wanted.
Old 02-22-13, 08:15 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The 2006 thru 2008 RX400h had a timing belt...It will go an easy 100k miles...Check Toyota dearlership for a good price on replacement. I did it myself and was do able, but required removing the cowl assembly that supports the windshield wipers. There is a great utube on the replacement under RX300 timing belt change. The engine is basically the same other than ours dont have belts externally or alternator. The procedure would be the same. I would also change the transmission fluid which is real easy...Use only Toyota Type WS fluid as it is the only fluid that is compatable with the CVT transmission. The Ipod connection is quite easy and do a search and you will find info on this site more so under the RX330 forum. Great automobile, its my second RX as I owned a RX300 for 12 years before getting my RX400h used....two years ago...Definetly a great ride and handles the road quite well, maybe not like a bimmer, but more stealthy....here is the tranny thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...ial-plugs.html

here is a link to part 1 on timing belt utube:

Last edited by thomas1; 02-22-13 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-22-13, 08:40 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Psychocndy
Thanks for the advice and information. I might have targeted a 2007-08 if I would have known about the timing chain.
The RXh got a timing chain staring with the 2010 RX450h. All RX400h have a timing belt as it uses the 3.3L gas engine.
Old 02-22-13, 11:27 PM
abuajwad
Driver School Candidate

Welcome to the club, great car, enjoy.

Quick Reply: 1st post, 1st Lexus, 06 RX 400h