RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

No More Music

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 09:24 AM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry No More Music

This is what happened to my 2007 RX350 (it has ML audio installed). I always used CD-RW discs with MP3 songs. A few days ago I decided to burn new songs to CDs, so I ejected all the discs from the changer, burned new MP3 files, loaded all the discs, and all I now see is "No Music File" error.

I thought it has something to do with discs (I used them for 3 years, so they were old), so I burned songs into completely new CD-RW discs; still the same. The same discs can be read and played on PC and laptop without any problems.

It can still play original audio CDs (at least the one which came with the car - Lexus Lounge), didn't try CD-RW with audio (WAV) instead of MP3 yet, will try that later.

But I have no idea what the **** is going on; I burned and played RW discs with MP3s for years, and now nothing works!
Old 02-21-13, 10:54 AM
ManXP
Driver

Update after some tests...

Original audio CDs - OK
CD-RW with MP3 burned as WAV (like audio CD) - OK
CD-RW with MP3 - No Music File
Old 02-21-13, 11:01 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

wish I could help, but this is out of my league.
Old 02-21-13, 11:17 AM
ManXP
Driver

I'll also try burning CD-RW as WMA instead of MP3 to see how it works... If that doesn't help, will seek for assistance from the dealer.
Old 02-21-13, 12:17 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

A number of things could be wrong. Most of those optical drives in our PCs are fairly complaint and will read most any media and formatted data given to it. However, those units used in the automotive industry do not always support all the standards. Only takes a small change, one setting, even just a software update to throw things into chaos.

First, make sure you are burning a single and full session. Make sure you are not leaving the disc available for multi-session. Uncheck that preference box.

Next, make sure the software you are using to burn the files has its settings to conform to the standards needed by the Lexus audio system. Quite a bit of information on this can be found in the Owner's Manual:

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_03_02.pdf

Finally, you may want to try a stock CD-R disc instead of one that is rewritable. They are cheap enough to experiment with, use day-to-day, and toss when no longer needed.
Old 02-21-13, 01:27 PM
ManXP
Driver

Thanks for the advice, will try tomorrow.
Old 02-22-13, 08:34 PM
RMB350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I would stay away from the re-writables. As the above poster suggested, use the CD-R's and toss them when you're finished.
Old 02-23-13, 06:54 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Finally, you may want to try a stock CD-R disc instead of one that is rewritable. They are cheap enough to experiment with, use day-to-day, and toss when no longer needed.
Just what I was going to suggest. Make sure it's a CD-R not a CD+R.
Old 02-23-13, 07:51 AM
ManXP
Driver

Good news, everyone! The CD player is OK.

I decided to burn one more CD-RW with MP3s using a different computer and CD burning software; the player reads and plays the disk as good as always.

That's a bit strange because I always used the same computer + the same software for burning CDs, and I have no idea why it stopped working, but at least I know the player is OK. Will make some more checks to find out if the problem is caused by burning software or computer hardware.
Old 02-23-13, 10:15 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by draco
Just what I was going to suggest. Make sure it's a CD-R not a CD+R.
CD+R???

Have heard of DVD-R, DVD+R and CD-R amongst a host of other media types, however, I have never heard of a CD+R.
Old 02-23-13, 10:57 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ManXP
Good news, everyone! The CD player is OK.

I decided to burn one more CD-RW with MP3s using a different computer and CD burning software; the player reads and plays the disk as good as always.

That's a bit strange because I always used the same computer + the same software for burning CDs, and I have no idea why it stopped working, but at least I know the player is OK. Will make some more checks to find out if the problem is caused by burning software or computer hardware.
As the discs you were burning on the original computer could be read by other devices besides your RX, I would have to reiterate my advise above to look at your settings. Obviously, the discs burn and read and other computer drives can read that burned media so your hardware is probably good. However, any Windows Media update, OS update, burning software update, etc. can affect the whole process. Remember, the optical drive in your RX is the least standards complaint device you will come across. You have to dumb things down to get things to work sometimes.
Old 02-23-13, 03:35 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wonder if it has something to do with the write speed. Try burning at a lower speed (like 4x or even 2x) to see if that resolves the issue with the original PC.
Old 02-23-13, 07:51 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to mention it could even be the type of mp3? Is it a variable bit rate or constant bit rate or even the quality. The only reason why I mention it is because its strange how it played the wma fine but not the mp3 file. But as long as you're able to get it to recognize it while using a different machine you're fine.

To piggy back on what RX330inFL these aftermarket radios require a specific format and keep in mind that computers get software updates and can read multiple types, but your radio is not updated after it leaves the factory.
Old 02-25-13, 02:36 AM
ManXP
Driver

The write speed didn't affect it, since CD-RWs burned as audio discs at the same speed (10x) using the original computer were accepted by RX just fine. It's not a problem with MP3s because during tests I burned the same (OLD) files that were properly played on the car before - nothing.

So the only issue I can now think of is software settings when writing data (not audio) discs. It's strange because no settings were changed. Will try to contact CDBurnerXP author.
Old 02-25-13, 10:07 AM
ManXP
Driver

In case someone has a similar issue in future - https://forum.cdburnerxp.se/topic/92.../page__hl__car

Quick Reply: No More Music