RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-16, 04:28 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aachowhan
Well I guess I got lucky. I found this thread and started to worry a lot. I just bought a 2007 RX350 and started doing some research on this problem. Thankfully it turns out this issue was handled. I foudn this in the service record at 47k miles back in 2010:

9LH REPLACE OIL COOLER HOSE FOR RX 350 - F

However on my recent inspection the guy said one of the boots on the suspension was damp but he couldn't see where it was coming from. I'm gonna have it checked out anyway to be safe. Ugh this is so annoying.
The 9LH Oil Cooler hose is a misnomer. It is not an oil cooler hose ...... it is the vvt-i oil line to the upper portion of the valve train and camshaft.

The oil cooler is actually on the bottom of the engine if you have the trailer tow package.

Only vehicles manufactured before April 2009 (wrong ..... see edit ..... it's April 2008) have a rubber vvt-i oil hose that needs to be replaced ..... but all 2007 to 2011 3.5L V6 Highlander (2008 forward) Sienna, Venza, and RX350 with trailer tow package have rubber hoses that need to be replaced. In Canada, they did a recall but in the USA all you get is an extended warranty.

Edit/Error: It's April 2008 NOT April 2009.

Last edited by Paul3637; 06-20-16 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-28-16, 06:50 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul3637
The 9LH Oil Cooler hose is a misnomer. It is not an oil cooler hose ...... it is the vvt-i oil line to the upper portion of the valve train and camshaft.

The oil cooler is actually on the bottom of the engine if you have the trailer tow package.

Only vehicles manufactured before April 2009 have a rubber vvt-i oil hose that needs to be replaced ..... but all 2007 to 2011 3.5L V6 Highlander (2008 forward) Sienna, Venza, and RX350 with trailer tow package have rubber hoses that need to be replaced. In Canada, they did a recall but in the USA all you get is an extended warranty..
O wow thanks for clarifying. Well I guess I lucked out again, I'm pretty sure I don't have a towing package but I will double check.

So if I don't have a tow package then I guess I have a different part instead of the rubber hose one? Im still gonna take it to have it looked at, something is still leaking from what I have heard so best to be safe.

Once again thanks for straightening out the details for me.
Old 03-29-16, 07:39 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for this...it seems there's quite a bunch of engine failure due to this leak. I checked carcomplaints.com, 90% of the engine failure complaints seem to come from this LEAK.
Old 03-29-16, 10:15 AM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-pictures.html
Old 03-29-16, 10:20 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm pretty sure this was a factory recall, at least it was for our 2008
Old 04-02-16, 10:58 AM
arich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if this oil leak has lead to long term issues. My sister in laws 2008 RX350 dumped all of it's oil in the driveway one night. Good thing we we're running synthetic as I think it saved the engine.
BUT, the car has developed a diesel like sound at idle after it warms up.
Old 04-02-16, 12:54 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

That depends on how long it was run low on oil. If the leak was fixed by a Lexus dealer under the warranty enhancement, I would take it back to them to diagnose the noise and push for coverage if it could be related.

The water pump can make rattle noises when it's failing so check that....
Old 04-04-16, 05:13 AM
truenorth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RX350 and the trailer towing package

Be careful with this, Lexus friends. My understanding is that ALL RX350s between the serial numbers you will find back in this thread aways have the rubber oil cooler lines. There was no towing package for the RX vehicles.

Some other Toyota models using the same engine had a trailer towing option, and those vehicles will/might have the rubber oil lines. Sienna, Highlander, etc.

As well, some of the early rubber hose oil cooling manifolds leaked and were replaced with the same part number, which might be the exact same poor design or perhaps something with a bit better materials. But still rubber.

If you are unsure about exactly which oil cooler lines you have, or if you have this part at all, please take your vehicle to a shop, have the plastic shrouding taken off and have this part inspected. If it's the rubber one that you can see if the pictures in the first post, have that taken off and replaced with the metal one. Let us know what you find.

Failure of this part can be catastrophic.
Old 04-04-16, 05:56 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by truenorth
Be careful with this, Lexus friends. My understanding is that ALL RX350s between the serial numbers you will find back in this thread aways have the rubber oil cooler lines. There was no towing package for the RX vehicles.

Some other Toyota models using the same engine had a trailer towing option, and those vehicles will/might have the rubber oil lines. Sienna, Highlander, etc.

As well, some of the early rubber hose oil cooling manifolds leaked and were replaced with the same part number, which might be the exact same poor design or perhaps something with a bit better materials. But still rubber.

If you are unsure about exactly which oil cooler lines you have, or if you have this part at all, please take your vehicle to a shop, have the plastic shrouding taken off and have this part inspected. If it's the rubber one that you can see if the pictures in the first post, have that taken off and replaced with the metal one. Let us know what you find.

Failure of this part can be catastrophic.
Can you please upload or share a picture of the metal type... I am getting confused here; does this rubber type apply to all RX350 2007-2009...?
Old 04-04-16, 06:49 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Post 1 of this thread shows a pic of the rubber hoses. Post 24 shows a pic of the metal replacement.
Old 04-04-16, 06:59 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Only vehicles manufactured before April 2009 have a rubber vvt-i oil hose that needs to be replaced ..
mine is 042009, and as noted, mine is metal. mine was one of the very first to hit the dealer in Washington DC area so 3rd RX should be OK. thanks for the reference.
Old 04-05-16, 12:38 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NVAKeith
Post 1 of this thread shows a pic of the rubber hoses. Post 24 shows a pic of the metal replacement.
Thanks NVAKeith! Where can I get/buy the metal replacement? Thanks...........
Old 04-05-16, 08:02 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Was anyone in the USA successfully able to have Lexus replace this part without any leaks present? I took my RX in for the headlight replacement recall but they said they wouldn't replace the oil line unless if there was a leak apparent. maybe i should just slice the line a half mile before getting to the dealer?
Old 04-08-16, 07:09 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Only vehicles manufactured before April 2009 have a rubber vvt-i oil hose that needs to be replaced ..... but all 2007 to 2011 3.5L V6 Highlander (2008 forward) Sienna, Venza, and RX350 with trailer tow package have rubber hoses that need to be replaced. In Canada, they did a recall but in the USA all you get is an extended warranty..
I just poked my head around my engine the other day and I saw the rubber hose. I popped the hood and looked down between the radiator and engine and I could see the rubber hose. I am going to get it replaced anyway even though I do not have a tow package. I am hearing lots of different things too. Some people aren't having issues, some are. I am not gonna risk it. Get a metal part and cross that off my list of worries.
Old 04-11-16, 08:46 AM
dmanwi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Evident - Did you get the dealer to replace the headlights? What year is your car?

Quick Reply: 2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)