RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)

Old 07-27-15, 09:07 AM
truenorth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Canada?

There's a pattern here. It seems that the Canadian RXs got recalled, but perhaps the US owners' RXs didn't get this yet. I submitted the paperwork for Lexus Canada to re-reimburse me, but months have passed and there's no cheque. I checked with the dealer that handled this for Lexus Canada and he says "be patient, don't call me. I'll call you when I get notified."

It was a nice gesture, but it seems Lexus is unwilling to press the button here. Reaffirms my view that they really don't give a sht about this problem.

I suggest that you Americans just get the pipe replaced and play it safe. Save the bill, Lexus US just might pay it. Or not, whatever. Especially if it's your wife's vehicle. Can you imagine the roadside call if she seizes the engine, and then the repair bill?

2007 to 2011 vehicles are the poorest that Toyota has ever manufactured. Don't get me started on my 2006 IS250 - what a piece of crap.
Old 07-29-15, 07:38 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

is this a different issue than the VVT-i hose leak? I had that hose break on me a week before receiving the campaign letter for it back in 2010 timeframe and it was replaced for me.

But I just received the "ZLC" oil line replacement campaign letter a few months back.

Car is currently at the dealership to replace the headlights under warranty, but they say that they won't replace the oil line for me until it fails. Any way I can get them to replace it for me proactively?

Last edited by evident; 07-29-15 at 10:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JimmyRX350 (09-25-21)
Old 08-04-15, 07:03 PM
Zoolander
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was lucky enough to just have this happen myself. Fortunately, I was driving and not my wife as she would have never heard the lifters or seen the oil burning. I wasn't far from home so drove home and then saw what it was. I had no lights come on so I'm hoping for the best with regards to other damage.

We just bought our '08 a couple weeks ago and Lexus said nothing about it so I went to the dealership and basically lost my shit on them. It's being towed to Lexus tomorrow and they are fixing it for free and giving me a loaner. The only caveat was the fix is free as long as it's not something else. I'm normally pretty calm so tonight I learned either we have a great local dealership or it pays to get really mad ha ha.
Old 08-11-15, 01:52 PM
IngridRM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to give a quick thanks to everyone that posted re: the broken/burst oil cooler line....had it not been for this forum I never would have known that it was covered under the enhanced warranty. Long story short, my car (2008 RX 350) started displaying check engine warning lights (on a Wed) and then a day later I saw the dreaded oil warning light come on. At the onset of the warning lights, I took the car to Auto Zone so that they code tell me what the codes were, and that is how I happened upon what the problem could be on this site!

Things spiraled downhill very quickly after my visit to Auto Zone, and by that afternoon, I was more noticeably spewing oil. I had my car towed to Lexus of Orlando and ALL was covered! Thank goodness I hadn't don't damage to my engine. Additionally, I asked them to check the headlight assembly - as I did recall receiving a letter re: those - and they checked and ended up replacing both headlight assemblies!

Thanks again to you wonderful people who posted about your experience re: the oil leak, otherwise I would have ended up taking my car to the Toyota dealer (which is much, much closer) and they wouldn't have known about the enhanced warranty. Kudos as well to Lexus of Orlando, they were wonderful to work with!
Old 08-15-15, 06:10 AM
pe3046
Driver School Candidate

Default Mine is being towed now

Yesterday I was at a friend's house for about four hours, and upon leaving got about 2 minutes down the road when I noticed white smoke glanced down saw no warning lights or hi-temp then pulled right over and shut off car. I popped the hood and saw oil sprayed everywhere, and then a lot of oil proceeded to pour out onto the ground. I called my friend and he said no oil in driveway nor none at my house. The only symptom I had was white smoke, no engine noise nor lights. Hopefully I shut it off in time, the campaign for the VVTi was done in 2010 at about 19000 miles, and the 2008 RX350 now has 64000 miles so might be more engine related then hose issue but I thought I would post here. Our 2013 GS lease is up, I am about to lease a GX460 but may have to rethink that.
Old 08-15-15, 05:30 PM
pe3046
Driver School Candidate

Default Mine was also fixed free of charge under special warranty

Just picked up my 08 with 64k on it, it was indeed the hose that ruptured and was covered no charge along with oil change. I have to check back with the service manager on the towing which was $190 to see if that will also be covered.
Old 08-20-15, 05:44 PM
janetdynan
Driver School Candidate

Default Would the oil line failure affect the timing cover?

About one month ago, we had a oil line failure on our 2008 RX 350. It was very scary as we were afraid that damage to the engine might of occurred. Lexus fortunately had a recall on the oil line and replaced the line with a metal one and said the engine was fine. So, on the next oil change, the mechanic noted the he found an engine oil seep and cautioned there would need to be a reseal of the timing cover at a cost of $3,600. My question is, did the oil line failure cause damage to the timing cover? And if so, is Lexus aware of this? And if not, what would be the cause of the timing cover needing to be resealed?

Last edited by janetdynan; 08-20-15 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-21-15, 04:55 AM
RxInAtl
Driver School Candidate

Default Got Me Too....

I just got my '07 RX350 back from Lexus - 135,000 miles. It blew the radiator line about 2 weeks ago - I got check engine, trac off, and VSC lights and stopped immediately. No smoke, just the lights and no oil light (odd considering). Anyways, I had it towed to the Lexus dealer where it was diagnosed as the oil line and that they would cover the repair of oil line. They did that, but the engine now had a chatter noise in it when they finished with it. They said that they would need to replace the cam gears. Took 10 days - no problem as I had a nice new loaner car to drive. TG it was all covered by the recall - just got the car back yesterday and it's running great. Bill back to Lexus was ~$3k.
Old 08-22-15, 08:10 AM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by janetdynan
About one month ago, we had a oil line failure on our 2008 RX 350. It was very scary as we were afraid that damage to the engine might of occurred. Lexus fortunately had a recall on the oil line and replaced the line with a metal one and said the engine was fine. So, on the next oil change, the mechanic noted the he found an engine oil seep and cautioned there would need to be a reseal of the timing cover at a cost of $3,600. My question is, did the oil line failure cause damage to the timing cover? And if so, is Lexus aware of this? And if not, what would be the cause of the timing cover needing to be resealed?
I began a new thread on this issue. Leakage in the timing cover seal is covered under a TSB (see my thread) with the goodwill from my dealer, paid $1300 instead.
Old 09-11-15, 02:40 PM
doroftei
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for those interested i made a video on how i replaced the oil cooler line... hope this helps. it was really easy to do.
The following users liked this post:
tempestv8 (03-22-18)
Old 09-12-15, 07:19 AM
jednav
Driver

Congrats!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-06-15, 01:24 PM
truenorth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pretty unhappy with Lexus Canada (or maybe the dealer)

Hi there Lexus community.

I'm Truenorth and I started this thread way back in 2012. I documented the failure of the oil cooler pipe on my 2007 RX and started this discussion.

I'm pretty discouraged about how Lexus Canada and the local dealer have handled my situation. Here's the timeline:

October 2012 - my 2007 RX puked it's whole oil load out on the highway and I had it towed to the nearest Toyota dealer. They replaced the pipe and I paid the bill.

February 2015 - Lexus Canada issued a recall for the oil cooler pipe. I called Lexus Canada and they advised me to take the vehicle to my local Lexus dealer, who in this case is Hefner Lexus Toyota in Kitchener Ontario. They would confirm that the repair was done, get a copy of the bill and submit the case to Lexus Canada for reimbursement.

I made the appointment and took the RX to Hefner. One of the most unfriendly outfits I've had the displeasure of encountering. They took the details and said they would submit the paperwork to Lexus Canada. This was February 2015.

Several months later, in perhaps June 2015, I called the Hefner service manager and he said that he has heard nothing and "don't call me, I'll call you".

Today is October sixth 2015 and I called Lexus Canada to see what they had to say. The nice lady Ala advised me that Hefner is their interface with the customers for issues like this, and I would have to wait for them to call me. She said that Lexus Canada would advise Hefner that I called.

Well, Lexus, This is pretty disappointing. Lexus Canada does not want to step up to this at all. It's obfuscate and delay the whole way. Has anybody is Canada got Lexus to step up and pay a third party invoice? And the third party in this case is a Toyota dealer..!!

Old 10-21-15, 08:23 AM
Blueeyes78
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences. My disaster happened this weekend. Sad to say, had a catastrophic engine failure in my 2009 RX 350 with 95k miles on it that I have had serviced faithfully at the dealership since I bought it as a CPO in 2011.
My husband and I were driving from the DFW Metroplex area to central Texas for a football game. Stopped at a fast food place to grab a bite to eat. As we were leaving I noticed a puddle of something under the car. Assuming it was from the last schmuck who parked in that spot, I didn't double check it when I pulled out of the lot. About 20 miles later, stopped and filled it with gas. In a few minutes, the check engine light came on, along with the VSC Off and the skid warning buttons. I pulled over right away and called Lexus Roadside Assistance since we were out in the boonies. Although we don't qualify for roadside assistance anymore, the guy on the other end of the line offered to answer questions since we couldn't find anything about the VSC Off and the skid button lights in our owner's manual. He didn't seem to know what they were either, so it took awhile for him to come up with an answer. He said to have it checked out soon, but if the check engine light wasn't blinking, it was OK to drive. Then I couldn't get the car started back up. Sounded like it was trying but just spinning around. So we called for a tow to the Toyota dealership in the city we were headed to (no Lexus dealership). Waited and waited for AAA to show. After about an hour, I tried to start it again and it started! No warning lights on at all! YAY! We might make the footbal game after all.
Well, after about 10 miles or so all the lights came on again, the engine was overheated (temp gauge on H as far as it would go) and soon lost acceleration and power steering. We managed to get off the highway on a small side road.
Had it towed to Toyota dealership - by then it's 5 pm on a Saturday so no one could look at it til Monday. They called back and said the engine was completely burned up, and the whole GD thing needed to be replaced along with new heads, water pump, etc, to the tune of $11k. No mention about the oil cooler line.
Waiting for the insurance adjustor to take a look just in case they thought it could be something they could cover.
Would love to hear everyone's advice in terms of where we go from here. I did receive a copy of the special extended warranty for the Oil Cooler Line and have it handy. Do I call our friendly neighborhood Lexus dealer and raise hell? How can I get them to replace the engine for me, or at least take the car off my hands and forgive the almost $7k I still owe on it?
Old 10-21-15, 09:45 AM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Certainly call your friendly neighborhood Lexus dealer. Ask nicely what they can do before you "raise hell". You'll want to know if the oil cooler had anything to do with it. Keep us posted!
Old 10-21-15, 12:41 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Yup, you'll need a diagnosis as to what caused the failure, did it dump out the coolant or the oil? If it was the oil line, others have mentioned the engine makes ticking noises and eventually the oil light will come on. Call Lexus corporate and open a case for goodwill assistance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)