RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)

Old 12-24-14, 03:27 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
Yes it is standard on all 350 models IIRC.
I'm really worried, I took my 2007 RX350 to the dealer, after I've read this thread and the WM looked perplexed when I asked him about this potential failure. We also could see no oil lines as described in this thread, from above. Do you have to pull the belly pan (plastic engine guard) to see it? Is it possible that the ones brought to South Africa by Lexus don't have the oil cooler?
Old 12-24-14, 09:35 AM
99magna
Rookie

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Only way to know that is for you to take a look. I had a family member who is a mechanic look at mine and stated the hose looked absolutely new so at some point mine was changed along with all then other belts & hoses. I'm 100% sure I'm in the minority as my RX is the same as yours. At some point I'll change TWO areas of concern.
Oil cooler line.
Vvti line.
Have Midas or tour trusted shop take a look. At Midas they have in their database every known tsb and non tsb info on the RX.
Thank you.
Old 12-24-14, 09:43 AM
99magna
Rookie

Originally Posted by PortAh
Mine was done in Mar 2010, I went thru the record, it has the "9609KB 080" along with the 9LH description, so very likely you only did the 9LH, which is the VVTi oil hose.

The engine oil cooler pipe here is a different one.
Thank you for the information. Do you or any one knows the part # for the engine oil cooler and its location on the engine ?. What is the cost for replacement ?.
Old 12-25-14, 10:12 AM
99magna
Rookie

never mind, i think i found it. thanks anyway
Old 01-10-15, 02:55 PM
Mondoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler pipes

I have a 09 rx350 and after much reading and research i have found my two vvt lines are hard pipe but my oil cooler line was still rubber(rubbish) went to lexus the other day to get my steering rack seals replaced on the passenger side on Gold Warranty agreement. While there i asked if they would replace the oil cooler line before the engine blew and got a big NO. I asked how much to replace while its up on the lift anyway getting seals replaced and the advisor said 300.00. I told him to do it. So while i am at work and waiting on a call to come pick up the car i get a phone call that tells me the price quote was wrong it would be 550.00 to replace the oil cooler pipes. I told him no. So i came home found the part online delivered in genune toyota paperwork from Concorde Lexus for 100.00. With gaskets also. Called my local toyota dealer told them i have the part and wanted them to install it so as to avoid a blown motor. They installed the part happily for 165.00. So people 550.00 minus 265.00 is 285.00 savings and a happy me. Now all three pipes are hard metal. And if Lexus reimburses at a later date i have receipts. Someone asked where to get the pipes just google (rx350 oil cooler pipes) you ll find it. Good luck everyone
Old 01-15-15, 08:36 PM
JoeyBall
Driver School Candidate

Wow...I can't believe there would be a rubber hose used for such a crucial component. What's wrong with steel tubing? This is not a go cart. It's an automobile for God's sake. Eventually that hose has to fail, it's rubber. And when it does fail....It's goodbye engine. And potentially human life.
Old 01-15-15, 08:43 PM
JoeyBall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mondoo
I have a 09 rx350 and after much reading and research i have found my two vvt lines are hard pipe but my oil cooler line was still rubber(rubbish) went to lexus the other day to get my steering rack seals replaced on the passenger side on Gold Warranty agreement. While there i asked if they would replace the oil cooler line before the engine blew and got a big NO. I asked how much to replace while its up on the lift anyway getting seals replaced and the advisor said 300.00. I told him to do it. So while i am at work and waiting on a call to come pick up the car i get a phone call that tells me the price quote was wrong it would be 550.00 to replace the oil cooler pipes. I told him no. So i came home found the part online delivered in genune toyota paperwork from Concorde Lexus for 100.00. With gaskets also. Called my local toyota dealer told them i have the part and wanted them to install it so as to avoid a blown motor. They installed the part happily for 165.00. So people 550.00 minus 265.00 is 285.00 savings and a happy me. Now all three pipes are hard metal. And if Lexus reimburses at a later date i have receipts. Someone asked where to get the pipes just google (rx350 oil cooler pipes) you ll find it. Good luck everyone
Atta boy Mondoo. Good for you! You beat 'em, and now you have peace of mind.
Old 01-18-15, 02:49 PM
justjosh
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I changed the oil cooler pipe on my 09 RX a couple weeks ago for precautionary measures. Its not that bad of a job to do yourself. I changed it while I was doing an oil change so it worked out well. Got it for $105 shipped from Sewell with the gaskets.
Old 01-19-15, 04:53 PM
koric
Driver

http://www.reimbursementlexus.com/

I'm a bit skeptical about the validity of that site. Can someone confirm?
Old 01-23-15, 08:32 PM
akacalgary
Driver School Candidate

Default Recall

hi all. Lexus repaired this for me today and said it was now the subject of a recall so this should now be covered. Good luck everyone.
Old 01-25-15, 12:22 PM
jhanbhaia
Driver School Candidate

Default Canada Recall

Good news guys, this recall finally made it's way to Canada. See below for a screenshot. Have my appt booked for Feb 2nd

Old 01-26-15, 04:06 PM
koric
Driver

So when is the recall for the USA coming out? I'm looking at my lexus driver account and there are no recalls or service campaigns on my car. I have a 2008 with the tow package. I looked and still have the rubber elbows oil cooler pipe.
Old 02-03-15, 10:15 AM
atc2152
Driver School Candidate

Looking at this thread could cause some damage. Do you replace just the rubber hoses, or both the rubber and manifolds?
Old 02-12-15, 04:51 PM
truenorth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus Canada is up to bat

Hello Lexus fans here in Canada and abroad.

I'm Truenorth, I started this thread with the failure of my wife's RX oil cooler pipe. Look back at the first post, that's me.

As jhanbhaia pointed out, it seems that Lexus Canada has decided that the oil cooler pipe problem is now a recall. I signed on with my VIN as jhanbhaia did, and there's the same notice as he/she got.

If you go back and reread the first post, my oil cooler pipe failed and I had the car towed to a Toyota dealer. They took five days to get the part and fix the car. I called Lexus Canada yesterday and they were very accommodating about refunding the cost of the repair. They said that I should take the recall notice (screen capture) and the Toyota dealer invoice to the local Lexus dealer, and they would do the paperwork to refund the bill. Lexus said that the dealer would want to put the car on the hoist and see that the part was actually replaced.

I called the dealer to schedule this, and they didn't seem so concerned about the hoist stuff, they just wanted to see the Toyota invoice. Maybe a good thing that I overpaid for a Toyota dealer to do the work, looks like I'm getting it all back.

I'll update this thread as all this plays out. I suspect that it will be a long wait until the Lexus check arrives, but I'll post it when it arrives. About time Lexus US gets up to bat on this.

Old 03-05-15, 02:54 AM
jednav
Driver

Talking

Got this letter, too. But got it fixed sometime ago. Love my dealership.
Attached Thumbnails 2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)-lexusrx350.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)