RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-13, 05:41 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

So does this only apply to only those RX350's with the Tow package?? I am asking because my cousin is moving back up to ATL from the Tampa Bay Area here and she has 114,xxx miles on her 07. I think I would like to get this fixed for her before she moves away. I just changed her oil and serviced it for her today, so if anyone could inform me as to whether this is on all 350's or not. I don't have another chance to get under it and look for the hose for a few weeks from now...
Old 04-27-13, 07:42 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 99rx
So does this only apply to only those RX350's with the Tow package?? I am asking because my cousin is moving back up to ATL from the Tampa Bay Area here and she has 114,xxx miles on her 07. I think I would like to get this fixed for her before she moves away. I just changed her oil and serviced it for her today, so if anyone could inform me as to whether this is on all 350's or not. I don't have another chance to get under it and look for the hose for a few weeks from now...
Yes it is standard on all 350 models IIRC.
Old 05-14-13, 02:08 PM
RXPhil
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. New here. Just bought an 07 RX with 106,000 miles and after calling around found that this has not been done. Can someone post up a link as to where I can order these metal parts. I can do this myself and you like to do it sooner than later. Now since I live near Toronto And that Sewell Lexus is in Texas I'm wondering if this is a climate related problem. As I called a couple dealerships up here and they haven't even heard of this issue.
Old 05-14-13, 02:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RXPhil
Hi all. New here. Just bought an 07 RX with 106,000 miles and after calling around found that this has not been done. Can someone post up a link as to where I can order these metal parts. I can do this myself and you like to do it sooner than later. Now since I live near Toronto And that Sewell Lexus is in Texas I'm wondering if this is a climate related problem. As I called a couple dealerships up here and they haven't even heard of this issue.
Welcome to Club Lexus, RXPhil.

If you go back to page 1 of this thread you will see the OP is from Ontario. As for Sewell, they are a sponsor of Club Lexus and members here who sign up for an account at Sewell get an additional discount on some parts. For those of us here in the States it makes it worthwhile purchasing some big ticket items from them when necessary.

So, not necessarily a climate related problem and more something 2nd Generation RX350 owners, especially the first few years until the part was updated, need to be made aware before it is too late. If you are checking local shops, talk to the local Toyota dealership and ask if they have seen such a problem with similar model year RAV4 with V6 engine as it is the same part. The OP used Midland Toyota as seen in message #27 on page 2.

Last edited by RX330inFL; 05-14-13 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-15-13, 12:15 PM
RXPhil
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Welcome to Club Lexus, RXPhil.

If you go back to page 1 of this thread you will see the OP is from Ontario. As for Sewell, they are a sponsor of Club Lexus and members here who sign up for an account at Sewell get an additional discount on some parts. For those of us here in the States it makes it worthwhile purchasing some big ticket items from them when necessary.

So, not necessarily a climate related problem and more something 2nd Generation RX350 owners, especially the first few years until the part was updated, need to be made aware before it is too late. If you are checking local shops, talk to the local Toyota dealership and ask if they have seen such a problem with similar model year RAV4 with V6 engine as it is the same part. The OP used Midland Toyota as seen in message #27 on page 2.
Thank you for the warm welcome. Driving to Midland wounldnt be very convenient. I did ask local dealerships including Toyota as I saw this is a problem with Highlanders as well as Siennas and nobody knew what I was talking about.

Anyway as a piece of mind I will change it regardless as it doesnt look very tough. is 15767-31020 the updated part that is made out of metal? would this be the one to order. Also a part number for the metal VVT-I oil hose?
Old 05-20-13, 08:28 AM
truenorth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default oil hose failure

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...ooler-tsb.html

check that thread for a lot more info. same part,
Old 05-22-13, 05:12 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

For my 2007 RX350, I ordered the parts from sewell lexus site and it came out to ~$97 shipped to NY with the clublexus discount.

PIPE, OIL COOLER TOWING PACKAGE- 3500LBS - $78.20
Part #: 1576731020 (Ships within 24-48 hours)

GASKET, OIL HOLE COVER TOWING PAOKAGE- 3500LBS - $2.46
Part #: 1149631010 (In Stock)

GASKET, OIL COOLER TOWING PACKAGE- 3500LBS - $3.01
Part #: 1578531010 (In Stock)

I called a bunch of lexus and toyota dealers in the NY and long island area. Lee's Toyota in queens said they only do maintainence on lexus vehicles not repairs. They said this job is considered a repair.

The Lexus dealers were hard to get a hold of the service advisors on the phone. Was put on hold many times but I was able to get a quote

The Toyota dealers were downright impossible. Didnt want to answer phones. Got disconnected and hung up on many many times. Some of them just didn't even care about working. Only got quote from 2 dealers and they said it was going to be 3hr labor.

Lexus of rockville centre confirmed that this is a common repair and that they've seen tons of RX350's come in for this job.

Here's what they quoted me for just labor:

Lexus dealers
Rallye Lexus - 2hrs $270
Lexus of Rockville Centre - 2hrs $250
Lexus of Queens - 2.5hrs $320
Lexus of Manhattan- Left message. No response
Lexus of smithtown- Left message. No response
Lexus of Greenwich- Left message. No response

Toyota Dealers
Star Toyota- 3hrs $336
Westbury Toyota - 3hrs $375
Milllenium Toyota - No response
Lee's Toyota - Said bring it to a lexus dealer
Penn Toyota - No response
Advantage Toyota - Also said bring it to lexus dealer
Toyota of Manhattan- said no service advisor available to give me an estimate.

Local Mechanic
Local BP gas station shop = 2hrs $160

Last edited by maniax; 05-30-13 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-27-13, 02:47 AM
truenorth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Any competent independent repair shop / licensed mechanic would do the job. If I hadn't been away from home, my mechanic Gary at "Gary's Automotive" would have done it for me. I had him do the VVTi hose after I learned about it here.

Old 01-14-14, 04:46 PM
jim618
Driver School Candidate

Default Another RX Oil line failure...almost catastrophic!!!

2007 RX350 with 90000 miles - Driving back home from a shopping trip last Sunday my wife said she smelled a burning oil odour; once parked I had a look under the front engine area & could see some remnants of oil dripping from above the front of the oil pan. Checked the oil & was down over a liter. Started it up & looked underneath again & could see a steady drip, drip, drip...
Turned her off & topped up the oil, planning on driving the 20 minute commute to my mechanic the next day (Monday) with the wife following me in her car. I figured it wouldn't lose a large amount for the 7-8 mile distance. Anyway I started it up the next morning in the dark morning, 7am, & left immediately, glancing back & forth for gauge warning lights until finally I arrived at the garage. Later that morning I was contacted by my mechanic who confirmed that I had a rotten rubber hose cooler line assy & was lucky that it only fully came apart when I had just parked it; they found over a liter and a half of oil under the vehicle. I hindsight I should have had it towed he said another minute & the engine would have been dry.
Cost for repair including new synthetic oil & filter cam to $606 Cdn (metal oil cooler line assy was $198). My mechanic told me that he seen the same thing happen to the Toyota Highlander & Avalon as well.. Anyway all is good now; cheers

Jim
Halifax NS Canada
Old 02-22-14, 06:04 PM
kknguyen11
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all

I just bought 2008 rx 350 without the towing package, do my car had that hose?

V/r

Khoi nguyen
Old 02-22-14, 06:10 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kknguyen11
Hi all

I just bought 2008 rx 350 without the towing package, do my car had that hose?

V/r

Khoi nguyen
Probably...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7658211-post7.html
Old 02-22-14, 06:47 PM
kknguyen11
Rookie

rx330inFL

Thanks so much, but I think I am looking for better answer, any way I will be at mechanic shop Monday, just want to know anybody in here know for sure, by the way Rx330in FL, does the glass of anything is half full or half empty?

V/r

Khoi nguyen
Old 02-22-14, 07:50 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kknguyen11
rx330inFL

Thanks so much, but I think I am looking for better answer, any way I will be at mechanic shop Monday, just want to know anybody in here know for sure, by the way Rx330in FL, does the glass of anything is half full or half empty?

V/r

Khoi nguyen
As you just purchased your vehicle have you had a look at the past service records to see if the previous owner had this problem? No way to know unless you check the service records and hope they had the work done at a Lexus shop or you have a receipt for the work otherwise from the previous owner.

Did you check to see if your VIN predates those listed in the chart? Those listed are when the new part was introduced on the assembly lines. Anything previous used the metal/rubber part.

The other way would be to look to see if your part looks like the one in the picture on the link I provided. The new one is different and is all metal, as shown here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7828286-post24.html

All this was existing information previously noted on this thread. You just had to read. There is no crystal ball which would allow us to give you a more definitive answer without you providing more details.

Does not matter whether a glass is half full or half empty if one does not know how large the glass is.
Old 02-22-14, 08:04 PM
kknguyen11
Rookie

Rx330inFL

Excellent; however I think you missed my point or my question, these part was only came with the RX had Towing Package or it came with ALL RX 350? that was what I am asking? I read all the post but was not very clear that why I was wonder? hope you understand.

correct, does not matter how large the glass was but is it still half full or half empty?

V/r

Khoi Nguyen
Old 02-22-14, 08:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

This is for all RX350 before the part was changed on the production line. This is about an oil cooler line and not about anything in the Towing Package.

Quick Reply: 2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)