RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)

Old 01-21-13, 06:32 AM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do I know of my 2004 needs this? This sucks. Sorry OP
Old 02-06-13, 06:09 PM
truenorth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello RX sufferers. Here's an update to my RX350 blowing out the oil cooler hose. Although the vehicle is back on the road, and all the lying Lexus folks are telling me that no permanent damage was done, I don't believe them. I'm going to dump this thing, and I've got a Subaru Tribeca lined up to take it's place.

My wife's RX that stranded us was a higher mileage vehicle, just under 100k miles, I'm obsessed with maintenance, and this is the first vehicle that has stranded me by the side of the road in over thirty years. Shame on you, Mr. Toyoda.

If you have this part on your vehicle, it will at some point fail, you will be stranded, and you might have catastrophic engine damage. It's just a matter of time. Here's a nice Lexus diagram, and you can find the part. My advice, get this fixed, or dump the vehicle. The odds aren't with you.

Old 02-06-13, 07:08 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

it's impossible to call without doing an engine teardown, but... if it was in fact 20secs to spit all the oil out, there would be a VERY unlikely chance of any damage to the motor.

This happens all the time where lube techs may forget to add oil to a car, happened at a Mitsu dealer a good friend works at, drove the car for 2mins, owner came back regarding the noise and was topped up with oil.

Car is still on the road today with no ill-effects
Old 02-07-13, 02:52 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone confirm if also the 330/400 (with the 3.3 engine) have these rubber hoses or not?
Old 03-13-13, 08:27 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Failed oil cooler lines now showing up on Highlanders, Siennas & Venzas

These oil cooler hose failures are the same major problem ...... onlly worse ...... than the vvt-i hoses. And Toyota and Lexus are not stepping up to the plate with a recall. To make matters worse ....... claiming it's only covered by 3 year 36K warrnaty no powertrain. ABSURD....... note: many dealers (not toyota) were claiming the vvt-i oil line failure were only part of 3 year warranty, too !!!!!! But Toyota TSB then said it's powertrain.

If you remember how poorly toyota handled the vvt-i thing ........ hoses began failing in 2005 on the Avalon and a 2005 TSB was issued noting a "drip" ....... hello NO ..... rupture and engine failure. They went on to produce 1.6 million vehicles with the faulty part through April 2008 part but did nothing about the bad parts until engine failures and massive publicity forced them to do the recalls of 2009/2010.

Well, if your vehicle has over 70K miles, you should replace the oil cooler hoses and don't take a chance on a recall. Complaint has been filed with NHSTA. You can follow these links to see how the Highlander and Sienna folks are doing:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/27...oler-leak.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...il-cooler.html

Here is one that failed after 75K miles ...... and it's not a safety issue ??

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Compl...X+350/10462402

"Driving home from work late at night my car started to make sounds it smelled like rubber burning. My display panel showed no trouble lights were on. I knew I had just had the oil changed the oil light was not on. I am a 61 year old woman on a dark back road with no lights or cars around me I was not stopping. After driving 10 miles finally I was a block from home now the oil light comes on. My husband checked the oil and saw that the oil stick was dry. I called where I had my oil changed and explained and they said to have the car towed to them. Once they checked it out he called and said my oil cooler hose blew apart he said they see this alot in 2007 lexus rx 350 and I should call my dealer. I called the lexus service dealer the service guy said it was under warranty. I asked if my motor was ruined will lexus fix it he said yes toyota would have to eat the cost. I had the car towed to lexus I got a call from the lexus service dept he said it was not under warranty. He said I would have to pay almost 600.00 to have a new hose installed. I went off on him. My car has 75000.00 miles I have owned cars with 115+ miles and never had a oil hose go bad. The scary thing is there is no warning when this hose blows. The dash board panel lights should indicate there is a problem service is needed something! for the hose to blow apart in just a second like it did the hose has a default. Toyota has known about this problem and refuses to do a recall at this time. We need to have a class action law suit. This is so dangerous why is toyota not taking care of this problem they wait until deaths occur."

:

Last edited by Paul3637; 03-14-13 at 04:25 AM. Reason: found another incident.
Old 03-14-13, 11:33 AM
gt1209
Driver

truenorth,

Were there any signs (e.g. oil leak in the garage) before the incident? I'm thinking about replacing mine but might wait until fall. Mine is 09 with 31k miles.
Old 03-14-13, 01:51 PM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone replaced this as DIY? I would like to replace it too. I have 08. It would be beneficial to many people if someone can post pictures for this if it is something DIYer can do.
Old 03-18-13, 06:06 AM
truenorth
Rookie

Default Oil cooler line failure - no warning

There was no warning at all. No drips or small oil leaks. One day just fine and the next day all your oil is gone in twenty seconds. That's very high pressure in that hose, and a breach the size of a pin will open and spray the oil all over the place under there.

Old 03-18-13, 06:37 AM
truenorth
Rookie

Default A picture of the new part

Here's what the replacement part looks like:

It seems the same problem is cropping up on Siennas, Highlanders, ...

For some of these vehicles, it seems that a "towing package" option included the oil cooler. Toyota forums all over the web are linking to this post. How badly Toyota / Lexus have betrayed us is becoming well known, and Toyota is selling replacement engines for around ten grand. Good for them, I guess. Build a defective product, and then get paid to finally get it right after millions of vehicles.

Someone told me that people from Toyota / Lexus read these forums. May the fleas from a thousand camels infest their private parts if they read this.

Last edited by truenorth; 03-19-13 at 02:38 PM. Reason: replace picture, spelling
Old 03-18-13, 09:40 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by truenorth
Here's what the replacement part look like:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...ler-tsb-3.html

It seems the same problem is cropping up on Siennas, Highlanders, ...
Same V6 engine, so it should have the same problem(s).
Old 03-19-13, 03:17 PM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Sweeneyp from the Highlander Forum is trying to get the old cooler line off right now. But it seems to be more difficult than thought. I am waiting for the DIY and will replace mine for safety.

One question related with this. Does 08 RX350 have the VVT-i oil line issue discussed in HIghlander forum?
Old 03-19-13, 07:46 PM
truenorth
Rookie

Default oil lines

I believe that the 2008 RX has the rubber VVT line on the back bank, next to the firewall. The front bank has a solid metal one. Lexus will replace the VVT line under the recall, I believe.

Regarding 15767, the oil cooler line, it's a tough install, here's my bill:

The following users liked this post:
Paul3637 (08-05-19)
Old 03-20-13, 05:26 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Default yes...... 08 RX also suffers from vvt-i oil line problem

Originally Posted by dcdyd
Sweeneyp from the Highlander Forum is trying to get the old cooler line off right now. But it seems to be more difficult than thought. I am waiting for the DIY and will replace mine for safety.

One question related with this. Does 08 RX350 have the VVT-i oil line issue discussed in HIghlander forum?
Any 3.5L 2GR-FE engine manufactured through about mid April 2008.

https://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/
Old 03-20-13, 07:04 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

I believe that the 2008 RX has the rubber VVT line on the back bank, next to the firewall. The front bank has a solid metal one. Lexus will replace the VVT line under the recall, I believe.
I don't remember that I received a recall. I will need to check it out.
Old 03-20-13, 08:01 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Regarding 15767, the oil cooler line, it's a tough install, here's my bill:

Dang, 13% tax rate!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)