RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

can you remove the nav dvd altogether?

Old 11-13-12, 10:23 AM
bnewcol
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you remove the nav dvd altogether?

What happens if you don't have a nav dvd in the player? I am so tired of the map feature constantly coming on every time I turn on the car. I don't use it as all my driving is local. I have the "auto" setting to off, so once I push a button to get it off, it stays off, but only until the car is turned off. Once you start it again, back to the map. I find it interesting that the car doesn't remember the settings you were on with the Navi when you turn it off.
I like to have my car on vent, not AC, and now it is a process every day to turn that on. Plus there is no fan speed button on the dash, only fan off. I don't understand why they didn't put a fan up/down speed button on the dash. I wish the car would remember what climate control setting I had it on when I turned the car off.
If I remove the Nav dvd, will the whole system not be functional and I won't have access to the "climate" control?
Old 11-13-12, 11:51 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't tried taking the DVD out but I assume your climate control will still work

For the "Vent" issue: there's a settings you can do but you have to bring it back to the dealer for "personal" settings....
Old 11-13-12, 04:06 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried hitting the display button and then selecting to turn off the screen? That way nothing is displayed until you hit climate, audio or any other button.

I believe there's an option under the settings button regarding toggling to map or audio. Next time I go into my vehicle I'll check.

It's a bit odd that your settings do not remain when you restart the vehicle.

Although Auto for climate doesn't automatically come on when I start the vehicle, unless it was active before I turned it off, I do know the recirculate button with come on by itself during summer months or really hot days and cool days it will be off. Probably due to the vehicle is sensing the outside and inside temperatures and trying to adjust it accordingly.
Old 11-13-12, 06:13 PM
bnewcol
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
Have you tried hitting the display button and then selecting to turn off the screen? That way nothing is displayed until you hit climate, audio or any other button.

I believe there's an option under the settings button regarding toggling to map or audio. Next time I go into my vehicle I'll check.

It's a bit odd that your settings do not remain when you restart the vehicle.

Although Auto for climate doesn't automatically come on when I start the vehicle, unless it was active before I turned it off, I do know the recirculate button with come on by itself during summer months or really hot days and cool days it will be off. Probably due to the vehicle is sensing the outside and inside temperatures and trying to adjust it accordingly.
Yes, but if I turn the display off totally, it comes back on once I start the car up again, the setting resets itself when you turn off the ignition.
I have the option set to OFF for the setting to toggle back to map. That only holds for that car ride, again, once you turn the ignition off, it resets and back comes the map when you restart the car. just annoying.
Old 11-13-12, 06:14 PM
bnewcol
Rookie

Originally Posted by kickin8
I haven't tried taking the DVD out but I assume your climate control will still work

For the "Vent" issue: there's a settings you can do but you have to bring it back to the dealer for "personal" settings....
So the dealer can tweak the climate control thing? That's interesting. I will ask next time I am there. Thank you.
Old 12-02-12, 06:48 PM
satz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure that not having the Navigator DVD in the player will not affect the operation of the AC or other aspects of the screen.

However you probably will get some sort of "Missing DVD" message!

cheers
Old 12-03-12, 06:00 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

That sounds a little drastic for a problem which you classify as an annoyance.
Amputation is a surgical procedure used only when less drastic alternatives are ineffective.
Old 12-03-12, 06:26 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are that unhappy with it, why not sell the car and but a model that doesn't have the Nav.
Old 12-03-12, 02:57 PM
satz
Driver

I believe one of the dealer adjustable 'comfort settings' allows the recirc button to remain in the state it was left. From what I understand, that means that if you switch the car on, the recirc mode will only activate if it was already activated before switching the car off.

I hope that's how it works, as I'm planning on getting that done.

I usually have my screen set to default to Info - Trip. That seems to be the only screen that stays constant after switching the car off.

Then I just press Climate hardbutton and adjust the fan speed or switch off the AC if I want. Then press Climate again and it goes back to that Info - Trip screen.

Last edited by satz; 12-03-12 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12-03-12, 03:05 PM
satz
Driver

Here's the RX350 Personalised Settings booklet. Item 12 relates to "Auto Recirculation of air when using AC".

Hope it helps

cheers

Satz
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
personalised settings.pdf (682.8 KB, 327 views)