RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Fuel system needs cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-12, 08:56 PM
hdogg97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel system needs cleaning?

After a recent oil change, the shop (not dealership) suggested that I get a fuel line cleaning done for something like $170. I declined, not knowing exactly what this is.

Is this something I should have done? Can't I just buy a cleaner from an auto store and pour it into the fuel tank? Is it even necessary?
Old 10-15-12, 09:00 PM
denimfake
Driver School Candidate

sounds like someone wants to put an extra 170$ in his pocket!
Old 10-15-12, 09:28 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by hdogg97
After a recent oil change, the shop (not dealership) suggested that I get a fuel line cleaning done for something like $170. I declined, not knowing exactly what this is.

Is this something I should have done? Can't I just buy a cleaner from an auto store and pour it into the fuel tank? Is it even necessary?
Pure profit for the dealership. There is sufficient detergents in most brands of gas, no matter if you use regular or premium, to do the job. If you want to treat your car from time-to-time you can just dump a bottle of Chevron Techron, get the bigger 20 oz. bottle, in the tank while at the gas station filling the tank. The stuff goes on sale all the time so just wait for a sale and grab a few bottles.
Old 10-15-12, 09:38 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Yep, $5 will buy you a decent Fuel system cleaning liquid at Wal-Mart. $170 is not reasonable.
Old 10-15-12, 09:39 PM
denimfake
Driver School Candidate

Although the gasoline contains cleaning agents, the deposits still tend to accumulate in the car’s fuel system. It is especially affecting OLD cars, which tend to accumulate deposits in the combustion chamber, fuel injectors, valves and other parts of the fuel system.

The accumulation of deposits in the combustion chamber increases the compression ratio and the clogged fuel injectors along with valves with deposits can create a lean air-fuel mixture, both of which lead to detonation/knocking, loss of power and increase in the fuel consumption.

Although some of the symptoms sometimes can be cured by switching to a higher grade of gas, there is a better long-term solution – products that clean the fuel system.

Never ever add anything to your gas tank until you car is 20 years or older=) all this cleaners is just a higher octane liquid.

Last edited by denimfake; 10-15-12 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-16-12, 04:29 AM
stevesxm
Rookie

Originally Posted by denimfake
Although the gasoline contains cleaning agents, the deposits still tend to accumulate in the car’s fuel system. It is especially affecting OLD cars, which tend to accumulate deposits in the combustion chamber, fuel injectors, valves and other parts of the fuel system.

The accumulation of deposits in the combustion chamber increases the compression ratio and the clogged fuel injectors along with valves with deposits can create a lean air-fuel mixture, both of which lead to detonation/knocking, loss of power and increase in the fuel consumption.

Although some of the symptoms sometimes can be cured by switching to a higher grade of gas, there is a better long-term solution – products that clean the fuel system.

Never ever add anything to your gas tank until you car is 20 years or older=) all this cleaners is just a higher octane liquid.
there is not a single piece of information in this post that is accurate . it is essentially folklore and
voodoo and factually incorrect in virtually all it represents.
Old 10-16-12, 05:18 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I use Seafoam and Techron. I dump a can every 4~5K miles. All you need to do.
Old 10-16-12, 07:15 AM
hdogg97
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all. This is what I suspected. I'll pick up a fuel additive on my way home from work today.
Old 10-16-12, 07:31 AM
denimfake
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stevesxm
there is not a single piece of information in this post that is accurate . it is essentially folklore and
If you are professional I will agree with you. But that's my opinion.
Old 10-16-12, 08:41 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How did they determine you needed a cleaning? Are you getting hesitation or any other symptoms?
Old 10-16-12, 10:13 AM
stevesxm
Rookie

If you are professional I will agree with you. But that's my opinion.
well...i am a professional... and it would be better if you didn't represent your opinion , which in this case isn't correct or accurate in any respect , as some sort of real and meaningful information.

if you are guessing, or repeating what you read on the back page of popular mechanics in some magic bean additive advertisement then you are better off not saying anything.
Old 10-16-12, 11:11 AM
denimfake
Driver School Candidate

well...i am a professional... and it would be better if you didn't represent your opinion , which in this case isn't correct or accurate in any respect , as some sort of real and meaningful information.

if you are guessing, or repeating what you read on the back page of popular mechanics in some magic bean additive advertisement then you are better off not saying anything.

Well 99% people could say that they are professional. Any proof?=)

And you are not my dad to tell me what to do

Last edited by denimfake; 10-16-12 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-16-12, 11:59 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

if you have been using good gas...you dont need it.

dont waste your money
Old 10-20-12, 01:28 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than his last sentence which I absolutely disagree with, what facts do you find faulty? A natural byproduct of combustion is residue that, even in microscopically minute quantities builds up on valve stems, injectors, and piston surfaces. That is one of the driving forces that cause fuel companies to add products, commonly called detergents, to their fuel. This detergent action helps clean the various surfaces. From my reading Techron is a very good fuel additive for very occasional use.
Old 10-20-12, 01:36 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well 99% people could say that they are professional. Any proof?=)

And you are not my dad to tell me what to do
And the best and professional argument goes to "and you are not my dad". VERY convincing! Btw, the difference between being professional and being A professional is huge.

Quick Reply: Fuel system needs cleaning?