RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Trailer Hitch questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-12, 01:06 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieZ
hitches have to ":stick out". How else would you get the safety chains on? The guy who said there are 12 bolts holding a EOM hitch on the frame is puffing something. There are 6, 3 on each side. Buying a 100.00 hitch from the dealer for 300.00 isn't the way to go. You can get them on E-bay, Kijiji etc for 75.00 (Used. but who cares). The paint will be coming off and rust spots will be showing after the first winter. If your RX doesn't have a trailer wires (connector) you will have to put one in, about $40. To make all neccessary connections you have to take some interior side panels and floor panels off to do it. If you don't feel comfortable take it to U-haul or dealer to have them do it. The RX pulls a small trailer with a ATV or Snowmobile very well with a 10 - 15% loss to gas mileage. Jamie
The Lexus kit from the dealer includes QTY 13 - M10 x 1.25 x 30mm bolts. Would not think they would include them if they were not needed.

Have a look yourself:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/pdf/PT22848045.pdf

Personally, I like to puff on hand-rolled cigars made right here in FL.
Old 11-06-12, 07:08 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
The Lexus kit from the dealer includes QTY 13 - M10 x 1.25 x 30mm bolts. Would not think they would include them if they were not needed.

Have a look yourself:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/pdf/PT22848045.pdf

Personally, I like to puff on hand-rolled cigars made right here in FL.

Thank you my friend.....
Old 11-07-12, 07:02 PM
KonkBob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a Reese trailer hitch on my '07 RX350 a few months ago. I don't see where 13 bolts would go or why they would be necessary. If someone has installed a trailer hitch and used 13 bolts please let us know, or show photo's, how that worked.
Old 11-07-12, 07:22 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KonkBob
I installed a Reese trailer hitch on my '07 RX350 a few months ago. I don't see where 13 bolts would go or why they would be necessary. If someone has installed a trailer hitch and used 13 bolts please let us know, or show photo's, how that worked.
The third party hitches from Curt or UHaul, as example, do need to have only six bolts to install. Everything may be welded together in advance. From what I have read this is correct for the third party installs. However, as I posted, the OEM does have much more assembly required. Just take a look at the PDF and compare to your own install to see the difference.

However, what you can infer from your install does not necessarily pertain to the OEM install as I pointed out. Two different products. Lesson to be learned here? Yes, never assume.
Old 11-08-12, 03:21 PM
KonkBob
Driver School Candidate

So approximately 7 of the bolts are needed to assemble the hitch and there are 6 attaching it to the vehicle frame?
Old 11-08-12, 04:00 PM
TotalLexus
Driver School Candidate

Default There is a totally hidden hitch on the market!

I had an "Execuhitch" put on my RX 350. It is totally concealed behind the bumper and has accessories that are inserted vertically. Other than it not being detectible when not in use, the great thing about it is the way the tow ball is connected to the vehicle. It is a solid connection and does not use a loose fitting square tube connector that bangs each time you start and stop. I tailgate with a midsize trailer and I sometimes forget I am towing. I do not ride bikes or use cargo carrriers but they have a converter that uses a removable square tube receiver for cargo carriers and bike racks. The hitch is a class 3 hitch and the towing capacity is limited by the capacity of the car which is 3500 pounds for the RX. The hitch is a little pricey. It is worth a couple hundred dollars more for me to not to see the hitch or an ugly bumper cover. It is also fun to show off, it has the gadget factor.

While having my hitch installed, they were also installing a CT for a bike rack application. I thought it was a bid strange until I saw it or better yet did not see it. Cool stuff!

If anyone is interested, I can post some photos if I can figure how to do it.
Old 11-08-12, 04:21 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TotalLexus
I had an "Execuhitch" put on my RX 350. It is totally concealed behind the bumper and has accessories that are inserted vertically. Other than it not being detectible when not in use, the great thing about it is the way the tow ball is connected to the vehicle. It is a solid connection and does not use a loose fitting square tube connector that bangs each time you start and stop. I tailgate with a midsize trailer and I sometimes forget I am towing. I do not ride bikes or use cargo carrriers but they have a converter that uses a removable square tube receiver for cargo carriers and bike racks. The hitch is a class 3 hitch and the towing capacity is limited by the capacity of the car which is 3500 pounds for the RX. The hitch is a little pricey. It is worth a couple hundred dollars more for me to not to see the hitch or an ugly bumper cover. It is also fun to show off, it has the gadget factor.

While having my hitch installed, they were also installing a CT for a bike rack application. I thought it was a bid strange until I saw it or better yet did not see it. Cool stuff!

If anyone is interested, I can post some photos if I can figure how to do it.
Welcome to Club Lexus, TotalLexus.

As for your hitch install, your 2011 is a 3rd Generation RX uses a different hitch design than the one we are discussing here in the 2nd Generation forum. The post I made previously on this thread on 10-26-12 11:15 AM has a URL which will take you to a 3rd Generation thread showing the new design which should be the same or very similar to what you have. Lexus made a change to the undercarriage to better integrate the hitch into the overall design.