RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Should I expect more issues with 2007 RX350 than I've already had?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 05:08 PM
mikegbuff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I expect more issues with 2007 RX350 than I've already had?

I have a 2007 RX350 with 84k miles. I have followed the recommended maintenance schedule to the letter, drive very easy, and am willing to spend whatever it takes on preventative maintenance, so I haven't taken any shortcuts or mistreated my vehicle.

I have had the following issues with my vehicle over the last year:
Oil cooler hose leak (other than the recalled one)
Replace one coil
Replaced rack & pinion
Replaced plastic pieces on luggage rack that came loose (luggage rack has never been used)
Had several places try to fix my tire pressure warning light issue (have not taken to dealer yet)
Get A/C error message on a regular basis that resets if it is turned off and back on

Each time I've had one of these issues, I've searched here and found others are having the same issues. Are there other common problems I should expect soon? I've been a bit disappointed at the number of issues I've had so far and the cost to repair (have done what I can myself). Just wondering if it might be time to sell or if I've fixed all the common issues? Thanks.
Old 09-29-12, 05:51 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Battery, accessory belts, hoses, water pump, tires, shocks/struts... there is always something.

Are you still making car payments? If not, consider this -- any upcoming repairs should be much less than having to make a number of car payments.

Regarding your air conditioning problem, mine also regularly cuts out as you described when I drive through even small amounts of standing water. Was told this was "normal" and a preventive measure taken to help safeguard the system. I do not like it, however, I deal with it. No other vehicle of mine has ever behaved in such a manner.
Old 09-29-12, 06:39 PM
mikegbuff
Driver School Candidate

Those things you list are like regular maintenance in my mind. They do cost a little more on a Lexus, but that was to be expected.
Yes, some expense is cheaper than payments - fully agree and I'm trying to keep that in mind. I have two other Toyota products that are a combined 30 years old. I have had very few unplanned "problems" with either vehicle. I guess I was expecting more of the same with the luxury line. Not complaining, just comparing the RX350 to my other Toyota experiences, which have been fabulous.
Interesting point you make on your A/C. I haven't heard of that. Mine throws the error as soon as cranked when the A/C is on. Once I get going, it is fine - standing water or not.
Old 09-30-12, 02:50 AM
stevesxm
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikegbuff
Those things you list are like regular maintenance in my mind. They do cost a little more on a Lexus, but that was to be expected.
Yes, some expense is cheaper than payments - fully agree and I'm trying to keep that in mind. I have two other Toyota products that are a combined 30 years old. I have had very few unplanned "problems" with either vehicle. I guess I was expecting more of the same with the luxury line. Not complaining, just comparing the RX350 to my other Toyota experiences, which have been fabulous.
Interesting point you make on your A/C. I haven't heard of that. Mine throws the error as soon as cranked when the A/C is on. Once I get going, it is fine - standing water or not.
you should be complaining. i was in the car businees doing work on british , japanese and german imports for 25 years.. retired in 97. during that period i worked on every toyota and nissan there was and found them to be superlative cars from a reliability stand point.

i recently bought this rx330 that i have now for no other reason than it seemed a cheap deal at 9 grand with only 27,000 miles on it ( legit... i know the original owner and have all the original paperwork) . and i am really shocked at how bad this car really is for what it cost. they original owner paid 40 grand for it and it has had all the issues yours has ( all while doing only a few thousand miles a year and often less) and i anticipate it will have all the rest. and it is a decidedly average car from a performance and handling standpoint. i have always had maximas in the past... buy them cheap with a 100,000 miles on them and throw them away when they got to 200,000 and those cars at 100,000 miles were 10 times the car this rx 330 is. better in every single solitary respect by a lot.

if these cars are the best lexus can do then i simply don't know where their reputation for quality and engineering comes from. this car is as bad as any 70's british car i have ever seen for reliability and costs 100 times as much to repair.

as soon as i can get the dashboard to stop lighting up like a pinball machine i'm dumping it and buying another maxima.
Old 09-30-12, 09:14 AM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
you should be complaining. i was in the car businees doing work on british , japanese and german imports for 25 years.. retired in 97. during that period i worked on every toyota and nissan there was and found them to be superlative cars from a reliability stand point.

i recently bought this rx330 that i have now for no other reason than it seemed a cheap deal at 9 grand with only 27,000 miles on it ( legit... i know the original owner and have all the original paperwork) . and i am really shocked at how bad this car really is for what it cost. they original owner paid 40 grand for it and it has had all the issues yours has ( all while doing only a few thousand miles a year and often less) and i anticipate it will have all the rest. and it is a decidedly average car from a performance and handling standpoint. i have always had maximas in the past... buy them cheap with a 100,000 miles on them and throw them away when they got to 200,000 and those cars at 100,000 miles were 10 times the car this rx 330 is. better in every single solitary respect by a lot.

if these cars are the best lexus can do then i simply don't know where their reputation for quality and engineering comes from. this car is as bad as any 70's british car i have ever seen for reliability and costs 100 times as much to repair.

as soon as i can get the dashboard to stop lighting up like a pinball machine i'm dumping it and buying another maxima.
I think one should be comparing apples to apples here, not a crossover with a sedan. I would compare RX to a Murano (arguably RX would win because Murano is built so cheaply that fit& finish is horrible!) and ES to a Maxima (both being FWD, but ES being significantly underpowered and slightly smaller). I agree that Maxima is a great sports sedan. I would actually like one myself instead of a Camry - more exciting! The 3.5L V6 is legendary, and thats why it is used in most of the Nissan and Infinity lineup (from a sedan, to a crossover, to a minivan, to sports coupe). I do not agree that Maxima is better than an RX - it can't tow 3500lbs, it doesnt have the cargo space, it isn't as luxurious as the RX.
Then again, you are on RX forum. There woun't be too many folks who know much about Maximas.
The fact that you bought an ultra-low mile RX for $9 grand - I wouldn't be complaining! That is a good price even if you had to dump $2000 on it annually (which is no likely), you'd still be ahead and set for the next 10 years!!
Old 09-30-12, 09:51 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RockfordRX
I think one should be comparing apples to apples here, not a crossover with a sedan. I would compare RX to a Murano (arguably RX would win because Murano is built so cheaply that fit& finish is horrible!) and ES to a Maxima (both being FWD, but ES being significantly underpowered and slightly smaller). I agree that Maxima is a great sports sedan. I would actually like one myself instead of a Camry - more exciting! The 3.5L V6 is legendary, and thats why it is used in most of the Nissan and Infinity lineup (from a sedan, to a crossover, to a minivan, to sports coupe). I do not agree that Maxima is better than an RX - it can't tow 3500lbs, it doesnt have the cargo space, it isn't as luxurious as the RX.
Then again, you are on RX forum. There woun't be too many folks who know much about Maximas.
The fact that you bought an ultra-low mile RX for $9 grand - I wouldn't be complaining! That is a good price even if you had to dump $2000 on it annually (which is no likely), you'd still be ahead and set for the next 10 years!!
I agree, the comparison being made here isn't fair.
Old 09-30-12, 09:58 AM
mikegbuff
Driver School Candidate

So...does anyone know of any other common issues I could expect to have with my RX350? Again, not concerned about the cost of regular/planned maintenance.
Old 10-04-12, 01:09 PM
mikegbuff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEXRX04
As a former Lexus mechanic I can tell you that there is problems with cars..

How about telling me about additional problems I can expect with the RX350? Thanks.
Old 10-05-12, 11:41 AM
gusar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about telling me about additional problems I can expect with the RX350? Thanks.
I have RX330. I've got rear wheel hub replaced (bearing failed) and probably will need to replace rear door struts. But it's for three years I own it and now 160,000 km on it. I wouldn't complain. Car is still solid and comfortable and I like it.

Last edited by gusar; 10-05-12 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-05-12, 12:08 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, why don't you sell it and get a reliable car?
Old 10-06-12, 02:56 AM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I will go with what carver says too, if I were you I have sold it long time.

For some reason the RX350 2007 is not that reliable, I have couple of friends with RX330 and RX 350.

I have a 2004 RX 330 which is a delight, I have been the owner since day 1 and I have had just very minimum issues, like the dash cracking thing which was expected and fixed and some clicking noise with the A/C Servo which stopped by spraying it to lubricate. So far 8 years after, the most reliable car I have ever had, but the 350 2007 on the other hand, at least with my friend who has it, lot of issues, the most recent was oil leaking.
Old 10-08-12, 08:12 AM
PghLex
Driver School Candidate

So...does anyone know of any other common issues I could expect to have with my RX350? Again, not concerned about the cost of regular/planned maintenance.
I'd offer that the 90,000 service is coming up, but you stated you are not concerned with planned maintenance.

However, I had them replace all of my spark plugs at 90,000 rather than waiting for the 120,000 mile service. The reason was that I had an ignition coil misfire on the rear bank, so I assumed that they were opening everything up anyway. But in my personal opinion, I felt that the plugs were due by 90,000. Upon reviewing the plugs (I asked for them back), the gaps were pretty beat up and two of the plugs had significant wear.

I've been reading about transmission flushes and tranny fluid changes as I'm approaching 100,000, and trying to determine the pros and cons. I bought used and although I feel no tranny issues, I don't know how rough the prior owner was....and wow do the new RX's shift and run SMOOTH. Mine is not that smooth, nor do I expect it to be after 100,000 miles, but it makes me wonder.... I don't believe that any fluid should last the 'life' of the vehicle, even if that is what the book says about the fluid. But that's why I'm trying to read up on it.
Old 10-08-12, 08:27 AM
mikegbuff
Driver School Candidate

I was debating doing the plugs and antifreeze @ 90,000. I was wondering about the transmission fluid as well and what I should do there. Seems to be differing opinions on this. The "inspect" transmission fluid on the service interval to believe depending on who is "inspecting" - there could be differing opinions as to what needs to be done.
Thanks for the input.
Old 10-11-12, 11:14 AM
gt1209
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck and I hope you won't run into too many unexpected problems from now on. Keep us informed on what you plan to do with the transmission fluid.
Old 10-11-12, 06:01 PM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm

former maxima.org-er here. Owned a Maxima for 7 yrs. Warped rotors, 3 brake replacements before hitting 50k mi, rusted out exhaust by 100k, multiple codes/O2 sensor, pre-cat issues, are you kidding me?! Unless you have been owning strictly the 20 yr old 3rd gen....You probably got a lemon for an RX, that's the reason you got it for cheap. We have owned our RX for 5 yrs now and it is a stellar vehicle and a benchmark for reliability. All maintenance parts are interchangeable with Toyota, and btw cost the same as Maxima's.

Quick Reply: Should I expect more issues with 2007 RX350 than I've already had?