RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

FYI: Lexus Battery warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 09:22 AM
wdemko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI: Lexus Battery warranty

Just so that everyone knows if the question ever comes up, I need to replace the battery in our '07 RX350, and somewhere on here I read about the 84-month non-prorated full replacement warranty. Strangely It was not disclosed in the warranty booklet that came with the car, so I called the dealer today to find out.

What I found out was that there are TWO battery warranties that are applicable on all Lexus models:

1 - the original OEM battery that comes with the car is only warranted for 4 years, or 50k miles, with a proration being applied to anything after the first 2 years!

2 - any REPLACMENT battery that is purchased thru Lexus is warranted for the 84 months, no proration period.

Hmm, so the battery that comes with the car originally is no better than those that you can get at Walmart - not what I expected. I didn't even ask what the dealer wanted for his battery, as I'm sure it will be a total rip-off, plus the closest dealer to us is 60+ miles away. When the day comes to have them honor the warranty there probably will not be a dealer within a hundred miles!

So, I will be going to Walmart this afternoon to get one that I can have the warranty fulfilled anywhere in the country, without the hassle of having to find where a the closest dealer is.
The more I learn about the Lexus warranty the less happy I get with this vehicle!
Old 09-28-12, 12:59 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

The more I learn about the Lexus warranty the less happy I get with this vehicle!

The Lexus warranty has not changed.

What's in the warranty that makes you conclude that the car itself is not worthwhile?

A battery is a $100 item.

Let us know what else is bothering you. We are interested to know.
Old 09-28-12, 02:56 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

thanks for sharing.....
Old 09-29-12, 06:57 AM
09RX350AWD
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My experience with the Lexus OEM Battery warranty was different than you describe. My 09 needed the battery replaced in May 2012 (in service Feb 2009) with 20,000 miles. We had moved to Canada from the US and I was concerned about the warranty coverage. However, the replacement battery was 100% covered by warranty (no proration, no install charge, nada $) plus Lexus roadside towed the vehicle to the dealer. I was also told the replacement is covered at 100% until the end of the new car warranty (4/50). Just sharing my experience.
Old 09-29-12, 07:20 AM
cmichael
Driver

When I purchased my 2007 in 2010, they installed a new 84 month battery. 3 weeks ago I took the care in due to a suspect start and they found a dead cell (Battery is 33 months old). I was told by the service manager that Lexus warranties their replacement batteries for 24 months and, after that, the prorated warranty kicks in.
Old 10-01-12, 11:33 AM
loradora
Driver School Candidate

The other day my 2009 RX350 wouldn't start. Called AAA and when the mechanic popped the hood it looked like the battery had essentially exploded. He hosed it off and towed it to my dealer. The tech just called and said they will have to replace the battery and the terminals because they were destroyed. Once that's done, they will be able to assess if there is additional damage. Although I'm within the 48 month warranty I have over 50K miles, so no recourse there. When I asked about the battery warranty, the tech said the battery had been replaced before I purchased the vehicle so the replacement falls under the 48 mos./50K rule. So far they want $330 plus tax for the battery and terminal repairs - I'm scared to death of what further damage may be discovered. Appreciate any insight or advice.
Old 10-01-12, 12:18 PM
Jumper73
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, $330 for battery + terminal repair is outrageous.

If it cost that much, I would definitely look into getting an optima battery (one of best batteries you can buy) and call it a day. terminal repair is not hard DIY with just basic tools, and if need be, take it to a local mechanic for quick fix.

You could probably get 2 optima batteries for that price. High price for LEXUS dealer service and even oil change I can understand, but for batteries??? That's ridiculous.
Old 10-01-12, 12:25 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by loradora
The other day my 2009 RX350 wouldn't start. Called AAA and when the mechanic popped the hood it looked like the battery had essentially exploded. He hosed it off and towed it to my dealer. The tech just called and said they will have to replace the battery and the terminals because they were destroyed. Once that's done, they will be able to assess if there is additional damage. Although I'm within the 48 month warranty I have over 50K miles, so no recourse there. When I asked about the battery warranty, the tech said the battery had been replaced before I purchased the vehicle so the replacement falls under the 48 mos./50K rule. So far they want $330 plus tax for the battery and terminal repairs - I'm scared to death of what further damage may be discovered. Appreciate any insight or advice.
Try goodwill. If you spens a lot of money with the dealer, you will get some goodwill.
Old 10-01-12, 01:56 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you go to a dealership in Jersey? If so which dealer did you goto? Just curious.
Old 10-01-12, 03:38 PM
loradora
Driver School Candidate

I had the car towed to the dealer because it was totally dead and I was concerned about further damage. The AAA guy had said the terminals were fried so I didn't feel confident going after it myself. Also like I said, I hoped some warranty was in place. Anyway, went back to the dealer this afternoon and tried the good will approach. They shaved $100 off the bill which was certainly better than nothing and said they felt there was no additional damage. I hope that's true. They told me that the 84 month warranty printed on the Lexus battery only applies when you purchase the battery, not when it's factory installed, so the op is absolutely correct.
(1koolfella - The one on 46 in Little Falls.)
Old 10-01-12, 04:02 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by loradora
I would be curious and concerned as to what caused the battery to do that. Sure, batteries can go bad, however, to do that they would need to be overcharged. Leads me to think something is amiss with the alternator allowing the battery to be overcharged.

Have seen similar type experiences in my past. Usually when the battery has been left on the charger too long.
Old 10-01-12, 05:55 PM
loradora
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I would be curious and concerned as to what caused the battery to do that. Sure, batteries can go bad, however, to do that they would need to be overcharged. Leads me to think something is amiss with the alternator allowing the battery to be overcharged.

Have seen similar type experiences in my past. Usually when the battery has been left on the charger too long.
Agreed. I could not get any explanation from the Lexus tech as to why this would happen. He said he'd only seen it once in his career on a different make vehicle. No prior problems with the car. When this happened it had not been driven in 3 days. Kinda crazy and I'm not really comfortable about it. A friend suggested there's no way of knowing about secondary acid damage so that has me concerned.
Old 10-01-12, 07:28 PM
GatorMike
Driver School Candidate

I'd pay $500 to not have to set foot in a WalMart. $1000 for not having WalMart employees anywhere near my car.....especially under the hood
Old 10-01-12, 07:30 PM
GatorMike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL

Faulty voltage regulator. Usually can be replaced without an entire alternator replacement but not always
Old 10-02-12, 07:36 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorMike
Faulty voltage regulator. Usually can be replaced without an entire alternator replacement but not always
Are they still built that way today? Yes, in the old days that was usually all you needed to do was to replace the voltage regulator. Like many things, I figured the regulator today was now somehow integrated and the whole unit would need remanufactured.

Quick Reply: FYI: Lexus Battery warranty