RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Info on Club Lexus saves the day again *dealer replace battery for free*

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-12, 07:01 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Info on Club Lexus saves the day again *dealer replace battery for free*

First I would like to thank everyone who takes the time to post, comment and share their knowledge and experience. Not just the regular posters, EVERYONE that contributes, old and new.

Situation: Bad Battery

I have a 2nd Gen, '09 AWD RX350. For the past couple of months I've been having issues starting my vehicle after waiting for someone or sometimes in the mornings. It has gotten worst after I change the stock radio because I would sit and watch movies and music videos while I wait for the Miss's to shop. Sometimes I'll need to jump start the vehicle in order to move.

So I went to AutoZone and they said it was not the battery but the alternator. Came to CL and did a search. 3 important comments that stood out (I'm paraphrasing so forgive me) 1.) it's too soon for an alternator to go, it's always best to get a load test done or have the dealer do a load test, don't trust a youngin with a device. 2.) that the battery is covered under Lexus warranty* (partially true) 3.) most people who jump start their batteries don't realize that they have a weak battery. The alternator will not be able to restore the battery to a normal state by driving around for a few hours. A weak battery puts a strain on the alternator.

So I figured I had a weak battery, either I can try to take it some place to recharge it over night and lose my settings or take it to the dealer and have them replace it. I called Lexus HeadQuarters to make sure that my battery is under warranty. Lexus said that if my vehicle is under the 4 years / 50K miles that the dealership will replace it for free.

So Saturday, took it to the dealership, explain the situation regarding the battery and what Autozone said, the service rep asked me the following questions. Do I always have problems starting the vehicle? When the vehicle starts and drive, did it ever die out or stop running while driving or on the highway? I guess to rule out that it's an issue with the alternator. So after about an hour, the service rep speaks to me in the waiting area and said that the battery is no good.

There's some cells that are no good and that it will be $215 for another battery? $215 (plus tax) for a new battery??? So I mentioned to the service rep shouldn't the battery be under warranty? First he said batteries are not warranted. I looked at him strange and said are you sure? Then he said let me check when is your service date? Then he's fumbling through the paper work he had in his hand, then said oh you have a lot of aftermarket stuff in your vehicle which could of drain the battery. I replied it's just the radio, everything else is factory. Then he found the service date and said oh well uhhh maybe I can warranty it. I said well since it's under warranty I don't see why I should pay $215 for a new battery. He said let me see what I can do, but if you come back next week with the same issue, then it's the radio. So after another hour they told me my vehicle was ready and I was not charged for the battery.

So it's good to be informed, know what's covered and using the search feature on Club Lexus you can just about find anything you need to be armed before going to the dealership.
Old 09-22-12, 07:05 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Sorry for the long windedness but I'm glad to save $215 (plus tax and possible service charge) and also the new battery is a "Lexus" battery as oppose to the older battery which was a "Toyota" battery and the new battery states that it's covered for 84 months.
Old 09-22-12, 07:34 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
Sorry for the long windedness but I'm glad to save $215 (plus tax and possible service charge) and also the new battery is a "Lexus" battery as oppose to the older battery which was a "Toyota" battery and the new battery states that it's covered for 84 months.
No need to apologize. You were providing details of your experience. Sometimes, that takes a bit. Believe the points you made are valid. Unless a light is left on or similar there should really never be a need to jump start a good battery. If you have to it is time to start considering its replacement. Yes, there are exceptions to that rule, but I have found the battery is usually the culprit.

Glad to hear things worked out for you. Sounds like you should be good to roll now for a few years. Enjoy that new system you installed.

When my battery finally started giving problems it was after the warranty had expired. Due to issues I have had with the local dealerships in this area I decided to have AutoZone install a Duralast battery as it was convenient. Cannot knock anyone for having the Lexus battery, Interstate, Costco or otherwise installed if that works for them.
Old 09-23-12, 05:57 AM
StLucchese
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
So it's good to be informed, know what's covered and using the search feature on Club Lexus you can just about find anything you need to be armed before going to the dealership.
Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Due to issues I have had with the local dealerships in this area
And this is why i stress to new members that you have to be prepared before you go to the stealership. Try to do as much research on the issue and be firm on your take. Some of these service advisors will not take your word on it, so be armed.

Last edited by StLucchese; 09-23-12 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-23-12, 06:37 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

If you are not familiar with Lexus, when you have an issue there is no need to shop around and find the problem. Take it to your dealer. You are under full warranty. Never worry again. Just take it in. They will give you a loaner car until they fix the issue.

As long as you are within 48 months and 50K miles.

Give Lexus the chance to wow you.
Old 09-23-12, 10:26 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Yes I was WOWED!!! In my head, I feel like the guy in the old Toyota commercials that jumps in the air and kicks his feet oh what a feeling. lol. It was worth taking the time searching here in CL and verifying the information with Lexus before going to the dealership. G.I. Joe said it best, "knowing is half the battle."

I'm gonna take another look at this "Lexus" battery and see who's it really made by. The cold cracking amps is 575. The weather people say we're expecting a harsh winter in the North East, so we'll see how it holds up, just glad that it's fully charged. The vehicle feels better also.

If the dealer didn't replace the battery I was considering one with a much higher CCA. I was looking around Sams Club and saw a Duracell Battery for $119 with a CCA of 775, Autozone started at $125 just for the regular batteries, didn't check Costco but now I don't have to. I'm just glad that the warranty covered it, that is what warrantees and insurance is for.

I was a bit surprised about the Lexus branding on the battery because usually everything else comes in that red and white box and says Toyota.
Old 09-23-12, 10:47 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Great story, glad it had a happy ending. I'm sure you'll be fine with the new battery. I had way more equipment in my 330 and the OE battery held up fine. A few years later it went, probably because I played music on accessory mode for an hour. Dealer replaced it no charge. On the way home I stopped by the installer to have him reconnect everything The battery was still going strong three years later when I traded in.
Old 09-25-12, 12:26 PM
DavidTB
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for sharing your story. Years ago my wife bought a Lincoln LS and I joined the LS fourm. The fourm has saved me over $1000 by knowing whats under warranty and fixes. So the first thing I did when I bought my RX was join here.
Old 09-25-12, 02:33 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

"If the dealer didn't replace the battery I was considering one with a much higher CCA. I was looking around Sams Club and saw a Duracell Battery for $119 with a CCA of 775, Autozone started at $125 just for the regular batteries, didn't check Costco but now I don't have to."

Thanks, 1koolfella!
I'm shopping for a new battery for my 06 CRV and checked out Sam's club - $66! What a bargain for a Duracell battery! Other places (Autozone, Sears, Advance Autoparts) wanted $99-$120 for the same rating battery.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-25-12, 02:57 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Try Costco as well. Great battery, good price. 3 years full replacement, no questions asked.
Old 09-25-12, 04:22 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-26-12, 05:50 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you have the good outcome from Lexus.
Speaking of Autozone those are crook joints. Once I went there to test my battery I know it was a good interstate battery, they said not a good battery, I had on my car for only 1 year. Then the guy told me an oil stain above my alternator because my car not Rx 330 (it is a 4 runner), he was saying head gas gasket leak. All kind of BS.