RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

First time lexus owner, introducing myself

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 02:22 PM
mulasien
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile First time lexus owner, introducing myself

Hello all. We just purchased an 06 330RX yesterday, after quite an extensive car search for my wife. Found an 06 2WD with only 56000 miles on it. This is her first 'nice' car, having previously just had cars to get her through school, so I decided that she needs to have something she won't regret .

This is our first luxury automobile, and I can definitely see the appeal. The RX is just plush all around and very comfortable to drive. I'm doing a ton of research to see what needs to be maintained on it to ensure long life. I currently have an 06 Pontiac GTO, and, well, hers is a lot more smoother in driving to say the least .

We purchased the RX through a local CarMax, in which they said they changed all of the fluids, so I shouldn't have to worry about fluid change intervals (except for oil, of course) for quite a while. I'm going to go over their checklist to see if the diff and trans fluid was changed, or I might even have it checked out at a dealer just to be on the safe side.

Sadly, the one we found didn't have bluetooth, navigation, or a backup camera, but we're not missing it too much.

Hope to learn a lot here!
Old 09-17-12, 04:26 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you plan to keep the car for a long period you might look into installing NAV/BT/DVD. There are many threads about installs. You can click on the Kenwood link in my sig to see what I did. Koolfellow put pics of his install in that thread as well.
Old 09-17-12, 04:54 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the Lexus family. Happy you found this site as you will, no doubt, find it a valuable resource for your long term enjoyment of your Lexus.

Lots of help here, enjoy your ride.
Old 09-17-12, 06:23 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Welcome mulasien! Lots of learning, read most of our stickies. Post a pic or 2 when you can.
Old 09-17-12, 07:41 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Welcome!

Welcome to CL forums and congrats on becoming an RX330 owner!

Don't be too upset that you didn't get one with NAV/bluetooth/backup camera. I have the camera, but still look around like I didn't have it. It certainly helps when I back the car up, so I won't hit anyone or any object (another car, wall), but it's not a MUST have. There are plenty of aftermarket options out there to install a far more superior to stock Lexus and up-to-date multimedia device which will have the bluetooth/NAV and even satellite radio capabilities. Do your homework since it is your decision what unit works for you. If you are on a budget - go to Best Buy and pick up a portable $199 Garmin NAV unit with 5" screen and lifetime map updates (it is as expensive as a single upgrade DVD from Lexus, but without need to annually upgrade your software/maps). Bonus is that you can taking out and use it in your other cars and even take it with you when you are walking in a big unfamiliar city! You can also get a nice hands-free/bluetooth unit by Parrot or Motorolla which will enable you to stream music from your smartphone (Pandora, etc) to your speakers. Or, you can follow Carver's advice. He has a very nice unit, looks stock too! Lots of options out there!

Again, welcome!

Post some pictures of your new car.

Max

Last edited by RockfordRX; 09-17-12 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 07:50 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus. There is a wealth of information on this website. The search function is invaluable. Also, you should register at the Lexus Owner's website. The complete Lexus service history of your vehicle will be there as well as any warranty work or recalls. You will need the VIN to complete the registration (link below):

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 09-18-12, 06:55 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Thanks for the welcome, all.

I registered my car at lexus.com yesterday, so I'm good to go with that.

We're getting an aftermarket bluetooth unit installed in the RX next week, so that will hopefully allow my wife to call hands free and all that good stuff. We'll look into a Garmin, etc if we ever feel the need for it. Otherwise, we'll just get an iPhone car dock and my wife can use it as her GPS .

I'm already combing the forums and reading the (really freeking long) owner's manual, already learning some neat things about this vehicle. I thought that the ability to roll down the windows with the keyfob was hilarious.
Old 09-18-12, 08:53 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by mulasien
Hello all. We just purchased an 06 330RX yesterday, after quite an extensive car search for my wife. Found an 06 2WD with only 56000 miles on it. This is her first 'nice' car, having previously just had cars to get her through school, so I decided that she needs to have something she won't regret .

This is our first luxury automobile, and I can definitely see the appeal. The RX is just plush all around and very comfortable to drive. I'm doing a ton of research to see what needs to be maintained on it to ensure long life. I currently have an 06 Pontiac GTO, and, well, hers is a lot more smoother in driving to say the least .

We purchased the RX through a local CarMax, in which they said they changed all of the fluids, so I shouldn't have to worry about fluid change intervals (except for oil, of course) for quite a while. I'm going to go over their checklist to see if the diff and trans fluid was changed, or I might even have it checked out at a dealer just to be on the safe side.

Sadly, the one we found didn't have bluetooth, navigation, or a backup camera, but we're not missing it too much.

Hope to learn a lot here!
I also have a 2006 RX with a similar number of miles. We bot ours 3.5 years ago off lease. That being said, do not spend too much on aftermarket stuff. It's a SEVEN YEAR OLD vehicle. I use a bluetooth earpiece for $50 and a $30 TOMTOM GPS app on my iPhone that works great.
Old 09-18-12, 12:13 PM
mulasien
Rookie

Pic of the new ride for those who asked. I found out later that the color is Bamboo Pearl. My wife REALLY liked the color after seeing other cars in colors she thought was 'meh'.
Attached Thumbnails First time lexus owner, introducing myself-unset-.jpg  
Old 09-18-12, 12:15 PM
mulasien
Rookie

Originally Posted by daryll40
I also have a 2006 RX with a similar number of miles. We bot ours 3.5 years ago off lease. That being said, do not spend too much on aftermarket stuff. It's a SEVEN YEAR OLD vehicle. I use a bluetooth earpiece for $50 and a $30 TOMTOM GPS app on my iPhone that works great.
Heh, a little late on that advice as I bought an aftermarket bluetooth sync kit from Carmax when I bought the car . Not planning on doing much beyond that. Although, for as long as these cars are supposed to last, I hope to be keeping it for a while.
Old 09-18-12, 01:34 PM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mulasien
I'm going to go over their checklist to see if the diff and trans fluid was changed, or I might even have it checked out at a dealer just to be on the safe side
Don't forget that the 330 has a timing belt.
I can't remember at which mileage it must be replaced, but also age takes its toll on rubber belts, so maybe it should be replacied in a 2006, even if mileage is low.
Worth checking with your dealer, anyway. Or maybe someone around here can confirm the recommended mileage/age?
Old 09-18-12, 03:17 PM
Rainbird

The timing belt should be changed at 90k miles. Lexus uses a high quality timing belt, so save money and do it at 90k.
Old 09-18-12, 03:34 PM
Rainbird

One more thing Mulasien that you should keep an eye on. The color "Bamboo Pearl" has had paint problems (not all but some). Your vehicle is a 2006 and the door handles and mirrors are painted black. I don't know if that was OEM for the 2006 RX330 or not. On the RX350 they were painted to match the car. Here is a link that discusses the paint problem with Bamboo Pearl:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...n-to-take.html
Old 09-18-12, 06:24 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainbird
One more thing Mulasien that you should keep an eye on. The color "Bamboo Pearl" has had paint problems (not all but some). Your vehicle is a 2006 and the door handles and mirrors are painted black. I don't know if that was OEM for the 2006 RX330 or not. On the RX350 they were painted to match the car. Here is a link that discusses the paint problem with Bamboo Pearl:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...n-to-take.html
Good call, Rainbird!
The black mirrors and door handles were only stock on my 06 Honda CRV-LX. All RX's, even 1st generation had always had color-keyed mirrors and door handles to match the body paint color up until 2007, then they were chrome. It must be the previous owner who re-painted those black. It sure is different...
Old 09-19-12, 01:47 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Rainbird
The timing belt should be changed at 90k miles. Lexus uses a high quality timing belt, so save money and do it at 90k.
Thanks for your confirmation, but are you sure that there isn't also a time limit?
I'm new to Lexus, but most cars I've had with timing belt recommended the replacement at XX miles or Y years (Y usually being 5).

Quick Reply: First time lexus owner, introducing myself