RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

aftermarket rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-12, 02:24 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default aftermarket rotors

Using the search function I see Sewell and then aftermarket manufacturers for rotors. I don't see anyone using Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone. Anyone have experience with their rotors? I just rotated the tires today and noticed that the rotors are horrible. I don't think I can wait on Sewell.
Old 08-07-12, 03:06 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
Using the search function I see Sewell and then aftermarket manufacturers for rotors. I don't see anyone using Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone. Anyone have experience with their rotors? I just rotated the tires today and noticed that the rotors are horrible. I don't think I can wait on Sewell.
If you do decide to go with Advance Auto, you can order them online for store pickup and use discount code P20 to get a 20% discount. For orders over $75 use discount code BIG30 to get $30 off.

Am going to guess there is not a huge difference between Wearever from AAP and a brand like Centric. Same would be with the Duralast brand from AutoZone.
Old 08-07-12, 05:29 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

if you want OEM...try your local Toyota dealer.....?
Old 08-07-12, 05:37 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kickin8
if you want OEM...try your local Toyota dealer.....?

I did give the Toyota dealer the part numbers and he has them in stock at $135 each, $270 total. Whereas Sewell has them at the member price of $227 shipped.

The fact that I don't want my wife driving much on these rotors and the Sewell/Toyota price is the reason that I asked if anyone had personal experience with Advance Auto/Auto Zone rotors as far reliability and "straightness" (is that even a word), meaning are they machined true? I am almost certain that these Advance Auto parts must be Chinese and the Chinese import quality on so many products has proven to be less than stellar.

Thanks for the comments. Anyone with personal experience?
Old 08-07-12, 06:09 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Hard to say where any of these are produced today. China and Mexico are good bets. However, without looking at the box one will never know. No guarantees that the Lexus/Toyota parts are not made in one of those locations either without first checking.
Old 08-07-12, 06:28 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about EBC they are stocked at PepBoys
Old 08-07-12, 06:31 PM
cmontel727
Driver School Candidate

I put rotors from NAPA the rear. IMHO just as good as oem. I would not hesitate to put NAPA rotors on the front as well.
Old 08-07-12, 06:50 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
I did give the Toyota dealer the part numbers and he has them in stock at $135 each, $270 total. Whereas Sewell has them at the member price of $227 shipped.

The fact that I don't want my wife driving much on these rotors and the Sewell/Toyota price is the reason that I asked if anyone had personal experience with Advance Auto/Auto Zone rotors as far reliability and "straightness" (is that even a word), meaning are they machined true? I am almost certain that these Advance Auto parts must be Chinese and the Chinese import quality on so many products has proven to be less than stellar.

Thanks for the comments. Anyone with personal experience?
I'm using the Auto Zone Duralast rotors, and they suck. It's now the second time that they have warped, excessive runoff. I had them replaced under warranty for free last time, but they only replace them once under warranty, so I can't get these replaced again. I guess it's not bad for the price considering I paid $30 for each rotor (i only bought two for the front), and I got a free replacement for both a year ago.

I've heard Napa is pretty good with their rotors.

Honestly though If you can get the OEM one's, get them. They lasted this long, they will certainly do it again. I was in a crunch with time and needed to be able to get the rotors locally, so I had to settle for the AutoZone rotors, but I will certainly be picking up OEM rotors or at least a pair of Raybestos rotors.

Have you thought about having your current rotors machined?
Old 08-08-12, 06:29 AM
MerlinT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmontel727
I put rotors from NAPA the rear. IMHO just as good as oem. I would not hesitate to put NAPA rotors on the front as well.
Changed all 4 last year (April 2011) at my local (and trusted) garage, didn't put the premium since there were 400$ more! Even the lady, at the garage, was suprised of so much difference. So she suggest me to give a try and go with the cheapest ones, that they'll rust quicker, but still be good breaks for the price.

Well, while changing a bearing yesterday (360$, BTW !), they found that my rear's are finished ! I'm very disappointed; they only lasted 16 months... Since I don't have time to order online, I'll give a try to the premium ones... I don't know how are the front ones, but I certainly won't wait before ordering online. A friend of mine suggests this site:

http://brakeperformance.com/

He's very satisfied, and even with the shipping cost and fees, it should be better (and cheaper).

To be continued...
Old 08-08-12, 07:46 AM
lexusfan05
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had bad experience with cheap drum on a sienna and a cheap rotor on an accord. The drum produced a lot of dust that needed cleaning every month and the rotor was warped within 6 months. I guess they use softer metal. I'll never buy aftermarket again.
Old 08-09-12, 09:21 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

NAPA I heard have good aftermarket rotors. No discounts though.
Old 08-09-12, 09:23 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

The OEM rotors are still good long as they are still machinable. Get them turned. They (rotor place or your local trusted Toyota garage) will measure it and will tell you if you need new ones.
Old 08-09-12, 09:55 AM
bmwbizkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brakes and Tires are items I would never deviate from OEM on its a safety item IMHO. It's a Lexus not a KIA.....don't skimp on items that could save you or your loved ones.
Old 08-09-12, 09:59 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I have had excellent results with Brembo Disks, Ran them for over 100k miles and still going on my old RX300....
Old 08-09-12, 10:52 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
NAPA I heard have good aftermarket rotors. No discounts though.
You can get a 10% discount if you have AAA.

Quick Reply: aftermarket rotors