RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New to us RX330

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 07:32 PM
rsr91128
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to us RX330

Thought I would start a new thread to update and say hello.

After a long day my wife and I succeded in bringing home our first Lexus.

It is an 04 RX330 AWD Flint Mica with Ivory interior, options include just about everything except rear entertainment and sport package. I am really impressed with the Mark Levinson sound system, very good for a factory system.

It has 91K miles and the PO is paying to transfer the remainder of his extended warranty to us. It has full service history and in the last year has received all regular service, new pads and rotors, rear struts, alignment, ML Amp and more. He also left his XM unit and paid for the next 3 months for my wife to enjoy. She is already stoked to be able to listen to Radio Margaritaville while she drives!

I think it will suit her needs just perfectly, it will be a few day a week grocery getter and basic commute vehicle.

I plan to do the water pump and timing belt myself in the next couple of weeks, but other than that I can't find anything else it needs yet.

I am so glad to find this forum to help us through DIY's and our ownership.

It was starting to get dark when I finally got home so here are a few quick pictures, I'll check it out this weekend and learn as much as I can.

Thanks,

Erik

He also gave us the black all weather mats from his Lincoln MKX so they will stay until I get some new ones.

Last edited by rsr91128; 07-20-12 at 07:50 PM. Reason: fixin spellun
Old 07-20-12, 07:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats and Welcome to Club Lexus. Have always liked that color. Was the color of the test vehicle the let me have for a few days. Ended up with white.

As stated previous, do not believe you need to be in a rush to do that timing belt and water pump at this time. As long as the water pump is not leaking you should be able to get 120K miles out of the timing belt. So, feel free to take you time and look for a good price on parts.

I see what you meant about the front floor mats. WeatherTech makes a set that is a better looking fit if you think of replacing. However, careful not to stack the mats on top of the original. Part of what was causing the stuck gas pedal problems.
Old 07-20-12, 10:08 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Beautiful car! Looks very clean. I would be willing to wager it has the light grey interior though. The ivory is a light yellow with a sort of taupe dash and lighter birdseye wood. Your car has the black dash and the cherry colored wood.

This is the ivory...

Old 07-21-12, 06:31 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats.
Just a reminder check your differential fluid change service record, see it has been drained at 30k, or 60k or 90k service.
Also trans fluid change. PCV valve change, filters (cabin, air)
Old 07-21-12, 10:22 AM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Congrats!

Welcome to CL!
Yet another lucky RX owner from Illinois!
Great color combo! The car is in fantastic shape!
Keep in touch!
Old 07-21-12, 10:40 AM
rsr91128
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Congrats and Welcome to Club Lexus. Have always liked that color. Was the color of the test vehicle the let me have for a few days. Ended up with white.

As stated previous, do not believe you need to be in a rush to do that timing belt and water pump at this time. As long as the water pump is not leaking you should be able to get 120K miles out of the timing belt. So, feel free to take you time and look for a good price on parts.

I see what you meant about the front floor mats. WeatherTech makes a set that is a better looking fit if you think of replacing. However, careful not to stack the mats on top of the original. Part of what was causing the stuck gas pedal problems.
Thanks,

I plan to pick up WeatherTech mats, didn't know about stacking them, will make sure to pull a set.

Originally Posted by Carver
Beautiful car! Looks very clean. I would be willing to wager it has the light grey interior though. The ivory is a light yellow with a sort of taupe dash and lighter birdseye wood. Your car has the black dash and the cherry colored wood.
I think you're right! I looked at so many and heard so many bits of misinformation from used car dealers it all kind of ran together. I wanted a darker interior but I can't believe how well such a light color has held up. Thanks for the correction.

Originally Posted by ycl1688
congrats.
Just a reminder check your differential fluid change service record, see it has been drained at 30k, or 60k or 90k service.
Also trans fluid change. PCV valve change, filters (cabin, air)
Most has been done, but I think I am going to redo some of it for piece of mind. Thanks!

Originally Posted by RockfordRX
Welcome to CL!
Yet another lucky RX owner from Illinois!
Great color combo! The car is in fantastic shape!
Keep in touch!
Thank You. I am down south closer to St Louis, but hope to be around for many miles.
Old 07-22-12, 11:01 AM
rsr91128
Driver School Candidate

I put the car up in the air to give it a close lookover and with all of the covers and panels out of the way everything looks good. Actually it looks really good! No leaks, no damage, even better than it looked during pre-purchase inspection.

I do not have copies of all of the receipts like I thought. Some of the work orders that show up on the Lexus service history I do not have details on what was completed. This leads me to a couple of questions...

It sure looks like the serpentine belts have been replaced, they look too good for 90,000 miles and I can see wrench marks on the fasteners. The belts are Toyota belts with part #'s and markings, they are also marked "Made in USA". The car was built in Japan (J code 04), if they were original wouldn't they have Made in Japan on them? Is there a date code in all of the numbers on the belts?

If I call the other dealer that did the 60 through 80K mile service work do they normally release a copy of the work order so I can see what has been done?

I can not see any leaks from the water pump area or below it, so good news there, but there is not alot to see without pulling the timimng belt covers, I assume if the water pump was leaking it would be obvious? The coolant level is correct. I can also see that the trans and rear diff plugs have been removed at some point, hopefully I can get the work orders to verify the mileage they were changed.

Overall very happy with the findings so far, looks like a well built vehicle.

If anyone has a guess at my questions please let me know, thanks.

Last edited by rsr91128; 07-22-12 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-22-12, 11:40 AM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could register at Lexus.com as the new owner using the VIN, it should show service performed at any Lexus dealer.
Which vehicle will be lucky to get a spot in the garage? (nice lineup of cars too!)
Old 07-22-12, 06:38 PM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Congrats

I Like how you got the pic of the 911 in too. I'd do the same thing, if I had a 911
Old 07-23-12, 06:41 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Congrats to OP. As for RX330inFL, I always wondered how does stacking have any effect on the gas pedal? The Weathertechs do not slip and stays like it has been glued on. Never understood it, please explain and shed some light. Thanks.
Old 07-23-12, 07:17 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by aztr0
Congrats to OP. As for RX330inFL, I always wondered how does stacking have any effect on the gas pedal? The Weathertechs do not slip and stays like it has been glued on. Never understood it, please explain and shed some light. Thanks.
I think a picture is definitely worth a thousand words here:

http://www.usrecallnews.com/2009/09/...-sticking.html

Even in vehicles where there is no problem from the factory, when you place a second mat on top of the OEM you raise the height overall and run the risk of having the bottom of the gas pedal catch on some designs. Also, if these are not anchored in place should they slide forward it would interfere with the operation of both pedals. Now, while the WeatherTechs may stay in place as you indicate I would make sure that anything installed stays in place and that it clears the full path of the pedals before using them.

Besides, if you put a set of WeatherTechs in your car why do you need the other mats underneath?
Old 07-26-12, 06:51 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the picture demonstration. My pedal doesn't reach the floor and get stuck like that so I'm okay. As for why I stack, I prefer the added height. Just a personal preference for the way I feel comfortable driving.
Old 07-27-12, 06:53 AM
rsr91128
Driver School Candidate

FL, thanks for the link.

I ordered a set of WeatherTech digitalfit mats and will pull the others out.

Looks like the lower control arm rear bushings have some age cracks when they are in full droop so I'll add those to the list. I thought they would be a quick replacement until I did a search here, simply move engine and trans to access bolts

Other than that it seems pretty good.

Thanks for the welcome
Old 08-14-12, 12:58 PM
Gabytx12
Driver School Candidate

I am posting on ur link because i am close to pulling the trigger on a 2005 RX330 with 104,000! Little nervous about purchasing a vehicle for 15K with 104 miles, but when I drive it...it is just amazing.

Having said that, the dealer is still going to do the 90K service and change timing belt, what else should I be aware of besides what was already stated here?

Any suprises since you brought it home? or things you wish you would have done?
Old 08-15-12, 09:43 AM
LEXRX04
Driver

congrats on the buy...it looks great! and I am sure you will get plenty of life and enjoyment out of it.

Quick Reply: New to us RX330