RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Got a 2008 RX 350 lexus inspected.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-12, 02:27 PM
swamyb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a 2008 RX 350 lexus inspected.

1. Rear window is not operated from driver side. (mechanic said it needs to be reprogrammed).
2. Tires need to be replaced
3. A screw is loose near sun visor
4. Some wear and tear near the passenger leather seat..

it has 70k miles and AWD and nav. Dealer(not lexus) is asking 26k. Is it a good buy, given the repairs I have to do..

thanks
Swamy
Old 06-19-12, 02:36 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Too much. You can do better. Just update the search parameters for your location with the following URL to see some of what is available in your area. Take a look at 2007 as well.

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/used/20...les&sf2Dir=ASC
Old 06-19-12, 02:52 PM
swamyb
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I searched the list for 94539, AWD and nav rx 2008 comes at 24 - 27k depending on the mileage. I am sorry, I said 26k, but it is 25k before taxes.

thanks
Swamy

Last edited by swamyb; 06-19-12 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-19-12, 03:03 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Offer $24 out the door and you would be OK. Good luck and welcome to CL.
Old 06-19-12, 03:24 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

The battery more than likely was replaced, died, needs to be replaced or such causing the programming for the windows to be lost. You need to go to each door and use its switches to cycle the windows. Once done the front driver switches should operate all windows. Same with the sunroof. This is discussed in the Owner's Manual.

Would not hurt to have any vehicle you are looking to purchase inspected by an independent shop. There is plenty of information here you can search for on suggestions others have made for used vehicle purchases on things to look for in the way of problems.

How many keys do they have? Should be two full keys plus one valet key.

You should also register the VIN with Lexus to see what service history is available once you make the purchase.
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do

Plenty of threads here on the topic of tire selection. You can use Tire Rack to get an idea of product and pricing.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...tpackage=false
Old 06-19-12, 06:57 PM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

$25K before tax is still too much to me. But used car price has been up in recent one year. I got my 08 350 in OCt 2010 and was $31k out the door. The truck was 36k miles and was like new with Nav, Xonen headlamp, rain sensor, sun roof etc. The tire was almost new and no wear on the leather seat.
Old 06-20-12, 08:38 AM
Jumper73
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally think it's way too much...

For reference I've just recently purchased '09 AWD, NAV 41K miles, CPO, all new tires and both front and rear brakes (to qualify for CPO) for $28k. This is in Northeast (NJ) where price generally seems to be higher than rest of the country. This RX had clean record but for whatever reason was in lot for 154 days, so I had a great advantage to talk down the price. 2+ months now with 1 long (4+ hrs) trip, absolutely flawless.

Granted I've been targeting/waiting for that perfect '09 for quite some time, and I did well in terms of talking to the dealer.

I'd suggest you set "your" price by referencing KBB and your general market, and waiting it out to find that perfect vehicle for you.
Old 06-20-12, 09:51 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I was curious since you live in Fremont, if AWD is a requirement for you? If not, a RX350 with FWD would cost less. I do think the one you are looking at is overpriced. You should have a great selection of vehicles in the bay area, keep looking...
Old 06-20-12, 11:02 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Swamy: if you live in Fremont, come to BOS this Sunday (one of the big local CA events).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nor...24-2012-a.html

You might find good deals on CPO RXs as well.

good luck and keep us posted
Old 06-20-12, 11:21 AM
swamyb
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all. I did get the car inspected, and the verdict came as a nice car. Tires are good for another year, may need 60k miles service and power steering flush and transmission fluid flush. The window problem was solved. I am looking at $2k to get this taken care. I am doing the research since a month, in bay area none of the cars have what I wanted. We had 2004 rx fully loaded with AWD, NAV and all with only 45k miles. My wife had a t-bone accident with some nutcase jumping the red light and car got totaled. We maintained it so well it was still looking like a new car. Trying to replace the car with similiar one, but i get the cars with high mileage or high cost. Whatever the good cars with attractive price, come to the market in bay area, are being scooped up quickly. Too much competition. Now I am casting my net 100 miles and beyond. Similiar cars like the one I mentioned in this posting are being sold for 2 to 3k more in bay area. I will try to negotiate with the dealer, but I doubt he will budge.
Old 06-20-12, 11:25 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

if you plan to spend extra $2K...I would look for a CPO: 3 years/100K total miles warranty.

edit: I think Lexus has a CPO promo until July 9th...they also offer special financing

Last edited by kickin8; 06-20-12 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-20-12, 12:58 PM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by swamyb
Thanks all. I did get the car inspected, and the verdict came as a nice car. Tires are good for another year, may need 60k miles service and power steering flush and transmission fluid flush. The window problem was solved. I am looking at $2k to get this taken care. I am doing the research since a month, in bay area none of the cars have what I wanted. We had 2004 rx fully loaded with AWD, NAV and all with only 45k miles. My wife had a t-bone accident with some nutcase jumping the red light and car got totaled. We maintained it so well it was still looking like a new car. Trying to replace the car with similiar one, but i get the cars with high mileage or high cost. Whatever the good cars with attractive price, come to the market in bay area, are being scooped up quickly. Too much competition. Now I am casting my net 100 miles and beyond. Similiar cars like the one I mentioned in this posting are being sold for 2 to 3k more in bay area. I will try to negotiate with the dealer, but I doubt he will budge.
Why 08 350 with 70K needs transmission fluid flush? Owner's manual calls for inspection and the fluid is supposed to last 'life time'!!
Old 06-21-12, 04:33 AM
dandg
Driver

Originally Posted by kickin8
if you plan to spend extra $2K...I would look for a CPO: 3 years/100K total miles warranty.

edit: I think Lexus has a CPO promo until July 9th...they also offer special financing
yes,Lexus financial has special financing for the CPO's deal going.
I was able to get .9 % for 48 month hard to beat that.
Old 06-21-12, 10:29 AM
swamyb
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I have made my best offer to the dealer, but he is not budging. He argues 24997(before tax) is very attractive price for 2008 AWD Nav backup camera and all.. I told him if he wants to do 25k OTD, please call. Now I am also considering CPO RXs with 0.9% finance. Is this good time to buy given 2013 models are coming to the market, or I should wait until september, october?

thanks
Old 06-21-12, 10:38 AM
dandg
Driver

Its hard to say if waiting will be worth your while.I would cast your search a bit wider-even if its just to use as "negotiating ammo" they don't know how far you will go and it may be worth it if you find a deal.You want to find the best deal you can for your $25K in the colors you like,if you find it then you can feel good about the purchase.

I would also look at those Lexus dealers and see what kind of money they are asking for the CPO's.Most of the better trades are kept by the dealers and CPO's.They are also able to buy them at a better price from the person in the showroom with the new car smell and look in their head then the no Lexus dealers competing at the auctions.

Quick Reply: Got a 2008 RX 350 lexus inspected.