RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How to set up a double din!(06 RX400h)

Old 06-06-12, 10:59 PM
JForce
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So i just finished installing everything, and so far so good. Only problem I have with the pioneer p3400bh is that bluetooth audio streaming is ok, but when I receive calls, the other person can hear me through the mic but I get no sound from them through my speakers... is this normal? (the rx-82 kit did not allow me to connected brake or reverse connections so those are left hanging from the pioneer unit)

Last edited by JForce; 06-06-12 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-13-12, 02:55 PM
glassmanj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

okay, i tried emailing axxess and all emails were rejected so hopefully you guys can answer this more plainly.

i am going to use beatsonic rx-82 and install kenwood dnx9980 (refubished w/ 3 yr ext warranty- $770. crutchfield it's $1200 new). i have 2006 400h with mark lev 11spkr + nav. i'm not adding any speakers or amps and am fine with losing fader control. i'm using 9980 for nav so i don;t need the factory nav system at all. that screen will be used for reverse camera and info screens. i don't care about factory bluetooth but will be using 9980 bluetooth so the mroe steering wheel controls of the 9980 i can have the better. my questions are what need to accomplish this (the beatsonic rx-82 of course and the 9980):

but do i need anything from axxess and can you use the axxess and beatsonic both at the same time? so you use axxess to replace functions that beatsonic loses. or is it simply one or the other.

so with that in mind, what's my best option? btw, i will do the install myself because local installer wanted $1400 for 9980 off the wall, before all harness and faceplate. so basically i'm looking for simplicity here. easiest and best solution without any modifications. thanks.
Old 06-14-12, 03:12 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Glassmanj I wish you luck with your project.

I don't have the ML package with my vehicle, just navigation. I posted some pics of what I've done in Carver's post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...dnx6960-4.html

When I emailed axxess, I emailed the sales rep of my region and they forward my email to their tech support and they replied to me.

I can only say what I did and why I did it.

The reason why I used the Axxess steering wheel kit is because I didn't want to lose any steering wheel functions. With the BeatSonic kit, I would only retain the volume +/- and the mode button but lose everything else. With the axxess kit I have everything except the voice command which didn't work well for me anyway. The axxess kit I have the volume +/-, Track +/-, mode, phone pick up and phone hang up. I used this along with the Rx-82 Kit from BeatSonic. What I believe I lost is the ability to see the dvd from the new head unit on the factory unit.

One strange thing I notice with my vehicle, although I removed the factory stereo the factory Bluetooth still worked. Matter of fact I had a hard time divorcing the two (factory BT and my phone) the factory would connect to my phone before the new head unit.

The Axxess was easy to set up. This video helped me a lot.
only thing they didn't cover retaining the phone pick up and hang up. The first time the phone on the steering wheel didn't work. I had to read the Axxess instructions. I reset the Axxess unit and then watch the lights, when there was a steady light, I had to hit the answer phone button, then it picked it up. Now every thing works.

One gripe that I have and I believe this is with the new head unit is that the phone button doesn't initiate the call. Meaning that with the factory bluetooth, if I hit the answer button on the steering wheel it would put me in the phone mode where on the screen I can select who to call etc. With the new head unit, the answer button doesn't put me in phone mode. I have to touch phone icon on the head unit, goto the phone book and when I find the number, then I can hit the steering wheel button to make the call. This maybe different on your head unit. Upon incoming calls, the pick up button will answer the call and the hang up will disconnect the call.

Oh and the Beat-Sonic Rx-82 kit, they do not recommend cutting any of their wires and to use bullet connectors from Radio Shack. I went to Home Depot, it was cheaper and better quality.

Sorry for the long windedness and but hope this helps in some way. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't have the ML package, just navigation.
Old 06-14-12, 03:54 PM
glassmanj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

" I used this along with the Rx-82 Kit from BeatSonic."

hey koolfella, just to clarify, you used the rx-82 kit completely, with harness, and then you also used the axxess to gain more steering wheel control? if so that's the answer i was looking for that you needed to use both systems to retain the most controls.

but if you didn't use the rx-82 harness at all and only used the axxess then i'd think i would only have to get the $120 faceplate and then go with axxess harness.

thanks for the video and info!
Old 06-14-12, 04:46 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Originally Posted by glassmanj
[I]"
but if you didn't use the rx-82 harness at all and only used the axxess then i'd think i would only have to get the $120 faceplate and then go with axxess harness.

thanks for the video and info!
Hold on a sec. I did use both, the Beat-Sonic RX-82 harness and Axxess steering wheel control. There are 3 ends from the Beat-Sonic kit that connects to the 3 ends of the factory harness. I only used 2 out of the 3 from the Beat-Sonic Kit. The third connection from the factory harness I used with the Axxess steering wheel control. When you get a chance check out the pictures I put up in Carver's thread.

Also keep in mind that the ML system is a bit different. I think you may lose some of your A/C functions but I'm not a 100% sure.

The reason why I use the Beat-Sonic is because the Lexus has a built in amp and would not work without this kit. Metra / Axxess also has a Lexus face plate and kit which is much cheaper. The reason why I didn't go with the Metra is because I still plan on using the factory navigation (only when I'm completely lost) and with the Beat-Sonic I would still hear turn by turn directions but with the Axxess I probably would not. There's a video from Metra that I posted here on page 2. Contact their sales dept and find out if it will work with your ML system.

I would suggest to do your due diligence before you purchase anything instead of shelling out a lot of money for something you may or may not need.

Last edited by 1koolfella; 06-14-12 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-15-12, 11:16 AM
JForce
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1koolfella, I used the beatsonic kit on my rx330 2004 (which only have volume and mode controls on the steering wheel). Does your volume and mode controls directly control your pioneer unit? After hooking everything up on mine i lost mode and the volume control is for the built in amp NOT the pioneer unit. None of my steering wheel controls affect the pioneer unit. I believe I connected the solid blue from rx-82 to white/blue wire on the pioneer harness (which does nothing apparently). Does this sound right to you?
Old 06-15-12, 03:59 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JForce
1Does your volume and mode controls directly control your pioneer unit?
The Axxess Steering Wheel kit hooks directly to the back of the Pioneer unit so it controls the new head unit directly. Volume, track, mode and pick up and hang up.

If you check out the Youtube video I posted in #33 of this thread, although he's talking about a Tacoma I hooked mine up the EXACT same way. If you check out from 1 minute to 3:30 minutes that's what I purchased. Tacotunes may offer it but Axxess sells the same thing. I got both on Ebay.

His steering wheel is missing the phone options which mine has, I had to do an additional step to get the phone buttons to work. In the video, it's pretty much the same except when the light is flashing then turns a steady red, I had to hit the phone buttons on the steering wheel, then the light cut off and I was good to go from there.

As far as the blue wire that you referenced, I'm not sure off hand. I posted the picture of my setup in thread #50 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...dnx6960-4.html
Attached Thumbnails How to set up a double din!(06 RX400h)-pre_2012-06-08-091310.jpg  
Old 07-04-12, 05:05 PM
Golfer3720
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Need Double Din for 2001 RX300

Please Please help. I have looked everywhere for a double din for a 2001 RX300. Does anyone have any leads?

Thanks
Old 07-04-12, 05:12 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Golfer3720
Please Please help. I have looked everywhere for a double din for a 2001 RX300. Does anyone have any leads?

Thanks
You might try posting in the First Generation forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...eneration-182/
Old 08-03-12, 08:53 AM
Kdhillon23
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I haven't replied in so long, tried figuring all this out. So basically what I'm thinking of getting Is a ; Metra 71-8113
and a :
Metra 99-8159S*

Just wondering if someone can tell me if that will work. And if so, does that wire control steering wheel controls?

Thanks
Old 08-03-12, 09:27 AM
Kdhillon23
Driver School Candidate

So i called The Wires Zone, and I asked for everything i need.. there reply was this..
1) Metra 99-8159S (faceplate)
2)Axxess Metra ASWC (steering wheel controls)
3)Metra TYTO-01 (amp interface)

They said once I have those, i will be able to hook up a aftermarket double din with subwoofer.

But see the reason i am doing this is so ill be able to connect my iphone to listen to music, basically a AUX. ive seen quite a few double dins that have it on the stereo itself. And i want to have a really big subwoofer in the back. Just wondering if, once i have all 3 things, ill be able to do that?

Thanks.
Old 08-03-12, 04:57 PM
atlantatan
Rookie

Any FYI how to remove the factory radio on RX330?
Old 08-03-12, 05:31 PM
cartman57
Driver

Originally Posted by atlantatan
Any FYI how to remove the factory radio on RX330?

(turn the volume down unless you like piano music)
Get a magnet ready near the socket for the bolts that attach the radio bracket to the dash so you don't drop them into the center dark hole.
Old 08-03-12, 09:27 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Just my 2 cents.
You don't have to unscrew the shift **** nor unplug the 12volt lighter and heated seats buttons.

I would suggest to cover the gear shift because that can scratch very easily.
Also when removing any of the panels, unclip from the bottom so that the tool you use don't leave a mark but if it does it's not visible unless you're ducking under the seat.
Old 08-06-12, 01:33 PM
xconcepts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cartman57

Added this to my wifes 330, the Jensen system is good.
No, its not....Its pretty crappy. You'd be lucky to get 2 years use out of it and thats being generous. Get a Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, Panasonic, Sony or Eclipse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to set up a double din!(06 RX400h)