RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New member need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-12, 03:54 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member need help!

I've been reading this forum for well over a year now. Have learned to change engine oil, changing transmission oil, change brake pad, upgrading interior lights, changing air and cabinet filters, fixed issues with brake switch, and many other basic maintaining services. I want to thanks everyone for such informative forum, saving me TONS of money, and most importantly - educating me to do stuff on my own without having to rely on paying other to do it.

I bough my 2004 Lexus Rx330 AWD 4 years ago with 18,000 miles. Love the car from day one. The car currently just pass 39,000 miles, low mile, no major mechanical issue.

Here's the story/issue: I had a flat tire while driving through a long bridge couple months ago. In order to avoid danger, I have to drive through (about 5 minutes) the bridge and then do a flat change. I had the rear right wheel out, was about to do the switch and all of a sudden, a family member slam close the door and the car drop on the floor without the the wheel on. Luckily, I was not hurt. Base on visual, the metal plate behind the rotor were damage a little at the bottom, but no other visible sign of damage or leak. After few weeks of driving, I started to hear a 'sanding' sound, much like rubbing sand paper on the wall. I confirmed that the metal plate is not touching the rotor to cause that noise. Shortly after the incident, I was also did a rotor and brake pads change. The mechanic had a hard time removing the rotor on the same wheel. He have to hammer it out real hard. Few days after the brake job were done, I started hearing the same sanding sound again from that same wheel, and now I also get a clicking sound during brake - only during light breaking. Heavy press on the brake does not generate the sound. Both sound only happen occasionally. Happen when I go straight or turn. I removed the wheel yesterday to check, again, no visible damage or leak. Wheel bearing? CV join? What you guys think the source of the noises might be? if the issue is the wheel bearing or cv joint. What's the range I should expect from the dealer to perform the fix/replacement?

Once again, thanks for helping out.
Old 05-15-12, 04:13 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

You sound like a guy who will do everything you can do yourself but in this instance you have basically had an accident with unknown damage. There is a time to go to the dealer and this may be one of them. No one here can diagnose your accident damage other than just guessing but you need to take this one to the pros.

Your family's safety comes first (even the one who tried to kill you! ). So bite the bullet and get it checked out by those who know it best.
Old 05-15-12, 05:04 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

could be suspension...brakes....who knows????
Old 05-15-12, 05:27 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

If I were you, I would take the brake shield off of the assembly (will not hurt brakes) just to ensure that the shield is not rubbing the rotor. However, if the car fell off the jack, I would definitely have the rotor replaced and check the brake caliper assembly very carefully. I would also check the emergency brake lines to make sure they are not broken or possibly bent.

If you have a AWD model, you have another concern with the rear axle possibly being effected by the sudden drop which would place tremendous pressure on the bearing and axle (the rear bearing would have pressure on FWD models too but no axle issue).

As a quick trouble shooting measure, I would remove the brake shield though and see if that helps the issue. After that you may have a number of possible issues if that is not cause of problem. Also, remember that when the car is jacked up, the rotor position is not the same as when lowered, thus you may think the shield is not rubbing when you have jacked it up when in fact it may be.
Old 05-15-12, 05:32 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Carver. I definitely want to get the car to the dealer to have them take a look at the issue and fix it. I want to get a ball park idea as to what to look for and what price range to expect.

I love to learn to do thing, however, I understand that there are limitation as what I can do vs I cannot or should not be doing. Changing the brake pads was something I can do, changing the rotors or messing with other important safety part I would definitely not touch.
Old 06-02-12, 12:16 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

Folks, I finally took the car to Lexus of Bay Ridge in NY this morning for an inspection ($125 plus tax for out of warranty diagnostic?!?!? really?). 3 hours in total, but nothing was done.

I'm not even sure if the guys there looked at my car during the first 2 hours. I waited so long that I got frustrated and start asking for a status, that's when the service rep came over and told me there's no noise!!! He also told me they removed the tire and the rim and see no issue. I was confuse and asked for a road test with me in the car; that's when I pointed out the issue and the guy finally hear the clicking sound. It's so obvious that the noise is there. They then jack up my car, couple of guys came over, look at it (did not took apart anything) and told me there's nothing wrong. The only thing they pointed out was that I have slotted and drilled rotors on. I told them I had them for awhile now and the noise only started to happen after the accident. Again, they told me nothing wrong, charged me and send me home.

I want to hear what you guys think of all this. Should I take it else where for second opinion?

Last edited by SaneEnch; 05-28-13 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-02-12, 12:22 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

One other thing, I followed HTownBlue advise with a little twice: instead of removing the brake shield, I bend/push it away from the rotor. Guess what?!? The rubbing sound is now gone. I guess when the car dropped, the shield were bend and started rubbing against the rotor.
Old 06-02-12, 01:07 PM
drewcam888
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe they couldn't see the bent shield themselves. Sounds like a dealership that isn't worthy of your future business.
Old 06-02-12, 03:47 PM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Take it to a Toyota Place

Originally Posted by SaneEnch
Thanks Carver. I definitely want to get the car to the dealer to have them take a look at the issue and fix it. I want to get a ball park idea as to what to look for and what price range to expect.

I love to learn to do thing, however, I understand that there are limitation as what I can do vs I cannot or should not be doing. Changing the brake pads was something I can do, changing the rotors or messing with other important safety part I would definitely not touch.
or a trusty mechanic.
Old 06-09-12, 06:30 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE!!!
This story gets better. It's been one week since I got my car 'checked', I was taking the car out on the freeway for the first time to Long Island this afternoon. About 15 miles out, I could hear this loud rubbing noise from outside the car with my windows close. I opened the windows and notice this really loud noise coming from the back of the car (not even braking). People even started driving away from me! I got off the high way, got into a gas station, checked the wheel, nothing wrong looking at it. Drove again slowly, the loud noise is still there. I got nervous and saw a small broken looking car shop across the street. Out of desperate, I drove the car in and asked the guy there to look at it. Long story short, a spring inside the brake shoes area came off (see photos) and causing the brake shoe to come off and start rubbing against the inside of the rotor. The guy charged me labor + $35 part (total less than $100!!!) and fixed it on the spot. I test drove it;run and brake smooth as new. Tipped the guy big time and left.
At that point, I was very upset. I could of got into an accident! I called Lexus Corporate and told them about my experiences. I also told them and my credit card company (I paid using my card last week) that I'm NOT paying A PENNY of the'diagnostic' charge from last week. NOT A PENNY!

Photo 1 show the side with missing spring, 2 show the right side with the spring, 3 is the broken spring in my hand.

Last edited by SaneEnch; 06-09-12 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-09-12, 07:08 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Parking brake hold down spring...

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X330-2004.html
Old 06-09-12, 07:47 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Glad to hear you have found your issue. I never liked the Bay Ridge dealership. I went there to check out the RX 350 2010 model, back when I was looking for one and it felt like they were too good for me. Judging from their customer service, I came to a conclusion that their service department couldn't be any better. You should not pay for that diagnostic BS.
Old 06-10-12, 06:55 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Sane,
Glad you got the issue before it was serious. Funny how those little drum brake parts can cause the whole system to malfunction. Not to mention they are very hard to install if you don't have a drum brake tool kit. At least you solved the problem. Hope you don't have any more issues. Next time you jack up the ride, try to do it on a level surface or if possible put a block under your wheel(s). Glad to hear its fixed.
Old 06-11-12, 01:30 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So glad to read that things worked out in the end.

I don't blame you for not paying them a cent. I don't trust NY dealerships, I go to Jersey whenever I can. I remember reading in the forum in another area and a person said if he car was to break down in front of that Bay Ridge dealership in Brooklyn he would have it towed some where else before asking them to look at his car.

Also I'm sure you kept that small shop number on hand in case you run into anything else you're not able to handle.
Old 06-11-12, 03:18 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
...I remember reading in the forum in another area and a person said if he car was to break down in front of that Bay Ridge dealership in Brooklyn he would have it towed some where else before asking them to look at his car....
Couldn't agree more! I would add that even if my car where to be broken INSIDE the Bay Ridge dealer, I would of have it tow somewhere else. I had use Lexus of Manhattan in the past before I moved, nothing but excellent services. I would only take the car to them going forward.

Anyone have a good mechanic in the NYC area they can recommend?

Quick Reply: New member need help!