RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

differences between 2004 and 2007 thru 09

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-12, 03:16 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieZ
These were the best years...
Because of taillights? To each his own, I guess. I personally prefer the overall styling of the 3rd gens but I' m very happy with my 08.
Old 03-06-17, 12:02 PM
b33j703
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieZ
2004-2009 were the best years with the hub cap diamond star halo tail lights. I LOVE THEM. The newer RX's now look like subrau's . They changed the one feature which made the RX's stand out. To bad. So the conclusion to my rave is everybody who has a 2004-2009 hang on to it and keep it mint. No more made. These were the best years...
i just got a 2004 rx330 awd with 77600mi on it. Will def hang on to this baby
Old 03-06-17, 12:50 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by b33j703
i just got a 2004 rx330 awd with 77600mi on it. Will def hang on to this baby
You will not regret that decision, I feel the same way with a 05 RX330 AWD with 137,000 miles.
Was the Timing Belt replaced? 12 years on the Belt is a long time, check out this post....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...s-rx330-2.html
Lexuswiz just replaced the timing belt with the similar mileage.
Replaced mine also as soon as I could after purchasing the RX with the higher millage & knowing my vehicle spent a lot of time in California, heat & wear destroyed the belt.
Fortunately it didn't break on me just after purchasing the RX.
The following users liked this post:
b33j703 (03-06-17)
Old 03-06-17, 08:35 PM
b33j703
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
You will not regret that decision, I feel the same way with a 05 RX330 AWD with 137,000 miles.
Was the Timing Belt replaced? 12 years on the Belt is a long time, check out this post....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...s-rx330-2.html
Lexuswiz just replaced the timing belt with the similar mileage.
Replaced mine also as soon as I could after purchasing the RX with the higher millage & knowing my vehicle spent a lot of time in California, heat & wear destroyed the belt.
Fortunately it didn't break on me just after purchasing the RX.
I have yet to check but i will - Thanks!. Based off the carfax, the original owner seemed to be one of those maintenance craze individuals (which i was thankful for knowing it was well taken care of) by bringing the vehicle for maintenance service for 5k, 10k, 15k etc up to the last year of ownership. I will be bringing it to a local lexus dealer for general check up this Friday, 3/10 and to also address the outstanding recalls. There were 2 recalls that have yet to be completed based off the carfax i received with the vehicle. Additionally, the automatic headlight leveling warning was already on before i purchased the vehicle (i literally had no clue what it was til after i signed all the paperwork - i've never own a lexus lol), so hopefully it wouldn't cost me much to have it fixed or replaced. But all and all, its in immaculate condition for its age.
Old 03-07-17, 02:09 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

I have yet to check but i will - Thanks!. Based off the carfax, the original owner seemed to be one of those maintenance craze individuals (which i was thankful for knowing it was well taken care of) by bringing the vehicle for maintenance service for 5k, 10k, 15k etc up to the last year of ownership. I will be bringing it to a local lexus dealer for general check up this Friday, 3/10 and to also address the outstanding recalls. There were 2 recalls that have yet to be completed based off the carfax i received with the vehicle. Additionally, the automatic headlight leveling warning was already on before i purchased the vehicle (i literally had no clue what it was til after i signed all the paperwork - i've never own a lexus lol), so hopefully it wouldn't cost me much to have it fixed or replaced. But all and all, its in immaculate condition for its age.
Great to hear, appears as RX330's for those years have a lot in common for things to look for as far as minor repairs & maintenance. In my case the AFS flashing light was a defective sensor (located at the rear of the vehicle) detected with a scanner.It's not an expensive repair if that is the case.Keep in mind that when the AFS light is flashing, there is an issue, if the light is just on but not flashing, you need to push the AFS button (switch) to activate it.More about that here:https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-flashing.html
Although as far as the Timing Belt goes, that is usually a maintenance scheduled at 90,000 miles, it is something that can not be visually inspected until parts are taken off.Once you get to that point, might as well replace the parts for piece of mind for the next 90,000 miles.

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 03-07-17 at 05:04 AM.
b33j703 (03-07-17)
Old 03-07-17, 03:46 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

The dealer will quote you a crazy price to fix the AFS sensor/system. It's either one of two things: the sensor itself (can buy new aftermarket for under $20), maybe the harness as well (05RX330AWD had that issue), or the rod that connects the sensor to the control arm. Either way, you can fix it yourself for well under $50 if you have to replace it all. The dealer will tell you something in the $600 range...

Replacing whatever is needed for the AFS system is easy, even for someone who's not mechanically savvy. Don't pay dealer prices.
b33j703 (03-07-17)
Old 03-07-17, 05:42 AM
b33j703
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RedGemini
The dealer will quote you a crazy price to fix the AFS sensor/system. It's either one of two things: the sensor itself (can buy new aftermarket for under $20), maybe the harness as well (05RX330AWD had that issue), or the rod that connects the sensor to the control arm. Either way, you can fix it yourself for well under $50 if you have to replace it all. The dealer will tell you something in the $600 range...

Replacing whatever is needed for the AFS system is easy, even for someone who's not mechanically savvy. Don't pay dealer prices.
Yea that's what i fear of, but they told me that they'll look at it free of charge. Btw, mine does not come with AFS. I checked my headlight and it looks to be in an appropriate level where it does not shine the oncoming cars but my automatic headlight leveling warning is on and not flashing. There was one point that it will turn off when I make a hard left or right steer and then will come back on again. I even tried to see if the projector will move down and up once you start it and it doesn't, so idk -shrugs-. My guess could be a motor? Thanks again for the informative advice guys! Really appreciate it.
Old 03-07-17, 06:12 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Yea that's what i fear of, but they told me that they'll look at it free of charge. Btw, mine does not come with AFS. I checked my headlight and it looks to be in an appropriate level where it does not shine the oncoming cars but my automatic headlight leveling warning is on and not flashing. There was one point that it will turn off when I make a hard left or right steer and then will come back on again. I even tried to see if the projector will move down and up once you start it and it doesn't, so idk -shrugs-. My guess could be a motor? Thanks again for the informative advice guys! Really appreciate it.
The AFS leveling system is available in the Premium Package....
I suppose anything is possible although I would not rule out a faulty contact before jumping to conclusions for the motor.
My rear wiper does not function due to a possible short in the motor, the motor may be needed to be replaced.
What leads me to that conclusion is the fuse keeps blowing.
I need to do more tests when the weather warms up more to remove the motor.
b33j703 (03-07-17)
Old 03-07-17, 06:36 AM
b33j703
Driver School Candidate

The AFS leveling system is available in the Premium Package....
I suppose anything is possible although I would not rule out a faulty contact before jumping to conclusions for the motor.
My rear wiper does not function due to a possible short in the motor, the motor may be needed to be replaced.
What leads me to that conclusion is the fuse keeps blowing.
I need to do more tests when the weather warms up more to remove the motor.
Yea, you're right as mine is just an awd base. I'm pretty sure they'll run it through OBD2? hopefully it's an easy cheap fix, if not, i don't mind forking out $$ if it's reasonable. It really doesn't bother me, but if they can get rid of the warning light off, cool, if not, don't care much for it as my headlight is leveled properly. They'll also provide me with a loaner while they address a couple of recalls - so YAY!

BTW, does the automatic headlight leveling sensor have a fuse? if so, you think checking the fuse would help?. might just be a blown fuse?
Old 03-07-17, 08:37 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Yea, you're right as mine is just an awd base. I'm pretty sure they'll run it through OBD2? hopefully it's an easy cheap fix, if not, i don't mind forking out $$ if it's reasonable. It really doesn't bother me, but if they can get rid of the warning light off, cool, if not, don't care much for it as my headlight is leveled properly. They'll also provide me with a loaner while they address a couple of recalls - so YAY!

BTW, does the automatic headlight leveling sensor have a fuse? if so, you think checking the fuse would help?. might just be a blown fuse?
The entire Light System has Relays & Fuses, I am sure the Leveling is tied to a fuse although unsure which one since my issue wasn't a blown fuse.
Here are all the locations of Fuses & Relays according to the Manual as Screenshots....
hopefully this will help. The Light system is more complex to figure out since items are related whereas the wiper motor is independent with it's own fuse.
What I meant is possibly a connector to a motor may be defective & should be checked before replacing a motor. Since this is an added feature, moving headlights, Lexus makes sure you still have operational lights for safety reasons if something goes wrong with the moving headlights.
As RedGemini posted above besides my Leveling Sensor being defective I also needed to replace the Connector to it as it was completely rusted out.
Attached Thumbnails differences between 2004 and 2007 thru 09-capture.png   differences between 2004 and 2007 thru 09-capture1.png   differences between 2004 and 2007 thru 09-capture2.png   differences between 2004 and 2007 thru 09-capture3.png   differences between 2004 and 2007 thru 09-capture4.png  

differences between 2004 and 2007 thru 09-capture5.png   differences between 2004 and 2007 thru 09-capture6.png   differences between 2004 and 2007 thru 09-capture7.png  

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 03-07-17 at 09:25 AM.
b33j703 (03-07-17)
Old 03-07-17, 12:25 PM
b33j703
Driver School Candidate

The entire Light System has Relays & Fuses, I am sure the Leveling is tied to a fuse although unsure which one since my issue wasn't a blown fuse.
Here are all the locations of Fuses & Relays according to the Manual as Screenshots....
hopefully this will help. The Light system is more complex to figure out since items are related whereas the wiper motor is independent with it's own fuse.
What I meant is possibly a connector to a motor may be defective & should be checked before replacing a motor. Since this is an added feature, moving headlights, Lexus makes sure you still have operational lights for safety reasons if something goes wrong with the moving headlights.
As RedGemini posted above besides my Leveling Sensor being defective I also needed to replace the Connector to it as it was completely rusted out.
Gotcha. Thanks for the screen shot man. You were right about the fuse, i thought it would be an independent fuse for the automatic headlight (bummer). hopefully its just the connector to a motor or just a motor - can't be that expensive to replace.. hope not lol.
Old 03-07-17, 02:57 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Gotcha. Thanks for the screen shot man. You were right about the fuse, i thought it would be an independent fuse for the automatic headlight (bummer). hopefully its just the connector to a motor or just a motor - can't be that expensive to replace.. hope not lol.
Your welcome, , it was a huge runaround to download the RX330 .pdf Manual on Lexus's Owner's/ Drivers Website, but I'm sure you can download one.
I do not remember how I finally found it since if I recall correctly Lexus only easily shows Manuals for more recent vehicles.
I do have the complete Lexus Leather Portfolio which came with the RX although wanted something I can refer to on the computer.
I wouldn't say a motor of any kind for Lexus is inexpensive, I'm looking at about $200.+ for the Rear Wiper Motor new, around $100. used, if indeed that is the issue.
Connectors are tricky to find without purchasing an entire harness (also not cheap), I was fortunate to find something that worked from a older Toyota, the Alternator Plug for $4 at the Wreckers functioned as my AFS Sensor Connector with a little modification & 5 Minutes to install.
The entire harness would have been about $75. but it would have been one huge pain to install.
Post what Lexus recommends after your appointment, CL (Club Lexus) members are here to help.
b33j703 (03-08-17)
Old 03-08-17, 07:23 AM
b33j703
Driver School Candidate

Your welcome, , it was a huge runaround to download the RX330 .pdf Manual on Lexus's Owner's/ Drivers Website, but I'm sure you can download one.
I do not remember how I finally found it since if I recall correctly Lexus only easily shows Manuals for more recent vehicles.
I do have the complete Lexus Leather Portfolio which came with the RX although wanted something I can refer to on the computer.
I wouldn't say a motor of any kind for Lexus is inexpensive, I'm looking at about $200.+ for the Rear Wiper Motor new, around $100. used, if indeed that is the issue.
Connectors are tricky to find without purchasing an entire harness (also not cheap), I was fortunate to find something that worked from a older Toyota, the Alternator Plug for $4 at the Wreckers functioned as my AFS Sensor Connector with a little modification & 5 Minutes to install.
The entire harness would have been about $75. but it would have been one huge pain to install.
Post what Lexus recommends after your appointment, CL (Club Lexus) members are here to help.
Will do man. Thanks again for the info!