RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 12-15-14, 12:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Factory nav or aftermarket nav on 2nd gen RX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 01:39 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Factory nav or aftermarket nav on 2nd gen RX?

Recently, I have seen a couple of potential new owners of 2gen RX turned off cars they had found by forum members who suggested they wait for "loaded" cars. We love our cars but let's face it, they haven't made a new one since 2009.

Tech ages quickly and beyond new maps the factory units are locked in a time warp, what was cool in '04 is stone age in '12. One of the biggest considerations on aging RX is the reality that so many of the car's functions are tied into the nav system. There have been at least two threads about failed factory head units and no doubt, more to come. The point of this post is not to knock factory nav but to let new/potential owners know there are excellent solutions that will keep their car current for many years to come.

Back-up cameras are almost a necessity these days and there are elegant solutions for our cars ranging from rearview mirror installations to cameras integrated with head units. Cost can range from 250 for some cameras to 1500 if you go for a full on head unit entertainment replacement system.

If all you want are your tunes there are iPod solutions as well.

For those who want it all there are many solutions available to you. If you want NAV/DVD/BT/XM/Pandora/iPod/USB all you will need is desire and some cash.

Here's where the advantages to aftermarket come into play. Once the system is installed, HU, camera, microphone, GPS and XM antenna updating the technology becomes as simple as replacing the head unit. When I installed my Kenwood just a year ago streaming BT wasn't available, now it is. The 'next big thing' for automotive navigation and entertainment is integrating your smart phone with the car's system. Instead of updating the car you will update the phone! This tech is getting closer, they are working on the delivery system, wired, wireless or plugin.

One of CL's sponsors, Beatsonic has the necessary faceplate and harness to make a double din head unit installation look and function as factory on our cars and as a customer I an attest to their quality and service.

Again, this post is just to let newcomers know there are alternatives to factory and as our cars age perhaps even better alternatives. Hopefully, it will pop up when they do a search on the subject!

Old 02-23-12, 02:33 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

flyaudio has one for 3rd gen....

http://www.flyaudio.net/product_id.asp?id=227&xid=3
Old 02-23-12, 06:26 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aftermarket Navigation

Carver
That is some good information. But if someone is going to do an upgrade. They need to do some research on integrating the Beatsonic stuff with their current system.

I failed on my attempt. And dont want to see any one waste a couple thousand dollars.
Old 02-23-12, 06:58 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Last I heard you were talking to the Beatsonic guys about your situation. What happened?
Old 02-23-12, 07:06 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i prefer aftermarket, it's useually cheaper and has more features, and is serviceable
Old 02-23-12, 07:10 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8

I asked Flyaudio, if they would ever sell a second generation one and they said no.
Old 02-23-12, 07:28 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those bastards! j/k, sucks tho
Old 02-24-12, 01:15 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beatsonic's adapters are okay if you want to integrate factory amp to your aftermarket deck and lose fader function since it turns 4 channels into 2. For us Hybrid guys out there additional beatsonic adapter is needed in order for the HVAC to work once aftermarket nav system is installed.

Now I'm not a big fan on BT streaming since all it does is eat battery on the smart phone that much faster, having it on a constant 12V maybe okay but may shorten battery life on the long run, so I stay with ipod or other USB mp3 players, not that much of a big deal for me, just my 2 cents
Old 02-24-12, 08:17 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aftermarket

My situation was unique. I have a 2007 RX350 with Mark Levinson Navigation and RSES. Using the Beatsonic adaptor cable. I lost all functions on my car that use the Nav screen. And also my Air Bag light kept flashing.

The last word I had was Beatsonic had made improvements to their cables. So it would work.

But I dont see how a cable assembly would replace the DVD player in the Mark Levinson head unit. Or integrate the RSES system.

This is my aftermarket system I had for about 4 hours.
Attached Thumbnails Factory nav or aftermarket nav on 2nd gen RX?-kenwwod.jpg  

Last edited by MC5Wes; 02-24-12 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 09:46 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see some of the guys here went with the Kenwood, I'm starting to look around and I see the Pioneer has some 6 inch and plenty of 7 inch screens also.

I'm just curious as to the reason you some of you guys (and gals) picked the Kenwood, was it mainly because Garmin GPS?

I have a 2009 with Nav without rear seat entertainment system nor ML sound system.

Main things I'm looking for is Bluetooth streaming, iPod, USB - can read music & possible video off external hard drive, I see some of the Pioneers has an SD card reader but not a deal breaker for me. HD Radio and Dvd for the Miss's and kids.

I plan on contacting Beat-Sonic to find out which radios they are compatible with because I don't want to lose my steering wheel controls. Right now, parts alone is looking to be around $1000.00. Right now I'm using a cassette
Old 02-29-12, 08:26 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Yes, Garmin was the determining factor for me. Researching nav units was a nightmare, you can find haters for every brand but Garmin is a known reliable system so that was it. I'm glad I did because it has been very reliable.

You might contact Infinirx about his install, I think he has the exact set up you do. He went with the latest Kenwood DNX9980 which does have BT streaming. The Kenwood forum is a great help for learning about day to day operation of their units http://kenwoodforums.com/. I suppose other brands have user forums as well.
The following users liked this post:
CarComp (09-13-20)
Old 03-06-18, 10:08 PM
skhanafp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I wanna install genuine SatNav on my Lexus RX350 2007 non-nav model. I have already arranged a satnav unit of the same model from a wrecker. Please advice if it is easy to install or even possible ?? I heard that all wires are already there..
Old 03-07-18, 10:42 PM
emad
Driver School Candidate

Default Rx330 genuine sat nav

Originally Posted by skhanafp
Hi, I wanna install genuine SatNav on my Lexus RX350 2007 non-nav model. I have already arranged a satnav unit of the same model from a wrecker. Please advice if it is easy to install or even possible ?? I heard that all wires are already there..
Hi, I am also looking answer for the same thing. Kindly help me also if you find the andwer, thanks.
Old 05-24-18, 01:37 AM
skhanafp
Driver School Candidate

A PROTECTIVE REPEAT---- Hi, I wanna install genuine SatNav on my Lexus RX350 2007 non-nav model. I have already arranged a satnav unit of the same model from a wrecker. Please advise if it is easy to install or even possible ?? I heard that all wires are already there.
Old 09-11-20, 03:20 AM
hgmarquez
Driver School Candidate

Did you ever get a response here? were you able to install? Would love to know how this went!