RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Driver side cupholder

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-12, 12:53 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Draco

If you do decide to do it. Take plenty of pictures, before during and after and it would be helpful if you can rate how difficult it is do. Maybe us guys here can chip in and send you some free drinks for your new cup holders.
Old 03-22-12, 12:56 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vent Cupholder

I went to a couple of auto pick a parts places this week. None of them have a second generation RX to take one from. Also I emailed a couple of guys on eBay who are parting out RX's. But so far no luck

Im going to the dealer tommorow and see what a new one costs.
Old 03-22-12, 01:20 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
I went to a couple of auto pick a parts places this week. None of them have a second generation RX to take one from. Also I emailed a couple of guys on eBay who are parting out RX's. But so far no luck

Im going to the dealer tommorow and see what a new one costs.
http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...-48050-c0.html
Old 03-23-12, 12:34 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cup Holder

Thanks for the part number.
Old 08-07-17, 12:59 PM
Gibbs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
Hang on, I just realised something. The US cars have the vent cup holder on the left hand side for the driver. Right-hand drive cars like here in Australia, have it on the right. Assuming they are exactly the same size (as they most likely would be), it would be conceivable to assume that if I got a cup holder vent from a US car (i.e. from a wreckers yard for instance), I could have a cup holder for the passenger. The same would go for the US. If that is correct, then I don't see why anyone didn't think about this before and cut a hole in the vent (apart from being able to source the part from the wreckers).
Did this idea ever gain any traction? Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but the vent cup holder in my wife's 2009 RX350 just broke. Seeing this thread, I thought I might not only replace the driver's side, but also source one from a wrecker in Australia for the passenger side. Let me know!
Old 05-29-19, 01:45 PM
Dubby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the pics are old. Won't load or have been removed. Shucks! I have a 2004 RX with a broken holder. I've found a replacement and need advice on accessing the 2 screws/bolts that hold it in place. I think the lower panel has to be removed to reach these bolts. Any advice would help.

Last edited by Dubby; 05-29-19 at 01:57 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-31-19, 09:40 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 858 Likes on 688 Posts

Hi, I replaced mine with a good used one I got off ebay.
I broke the hell out of the old one trying even worse to figure out how to remove it but I found 2 sneaky hidden screws and they are holding it in from the bottom on an angle.

I think I removed the lower cover under the steering wheel and shined a flash light up in there to find the 2 screws(10mm) and I believe the cupholder and vent came out together as one piece.
Once out I think I carefully unclipped the vent from the cupholder and installed the new one.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-19, 07:35 AM
Dubby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi, I replaced mine with a good used one I got off ebay.
I broke the hell out of the old one trying even worse to figure out how to remove it but I found 2 sneaky hidden screws and they are holding it in from the bottom on an angle.

I think I removed the lower cover under the steering wheel and shined a flash light up in there to find the 2 screws(10mm) and I believe the cupholder and vent came out together as one piece.
Once out I think I carefully unclipped the vent from the cupholder and installed the new one.
Hope this helps.
Thank you very much for the accurate info. Removed and installed the holder and it went well. Nothing broken. Much easier with your advice. Now, if I could just get a new dashboard.
Old 06-03-19, 07:47 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 858 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
The question is.

How do you get the old one to release from the dash. So you can put in a new one?
If I remember correctly the cupholder and the vent above it come out in one piece.
The vent on top is held in with some clips and the cupholder on bottom is held in with 2 screws under the cupholder near the back.

Once it is removed you can carefully separate the cupholder from the vent with some very brittle/old clips.

If you buy a new cupholder you can have it in your hand to see how the screws attach to the dash and how the vent clips onto the cupholder..