RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX air suspension swap out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-12, 07:23 AM
dburt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air suspension problems

Originally Posted by lex_rx
Would you mind forwarding to me the diagrams of the wiring harness? Thanks.

Good for you if things are working well with the swap out.
your post is very helpfull .
i also am experiencing the same problem
did you use just regular struts/
I would also love to get a copy of the diagram you spoke of , if you dont mind
Old 12-05-16, 09:20 PM
sabk2001
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by markrx
Hey guys I am checking back in after doing the swap. I got a set from online junkyard for $550 shipped. I swapped them all out in my garage in about three hours. I got the car aligned and it now rides like a dream again. I have not yet decided what to do with the air system components. I will likely clamp the four lines at the ends or remove the compressor itself. No issues so far with any of the other car systems. Light is on in the dash only annoyance.

Does anyone know where the compressor unit is and how to access it for removal? That is whAt is bad so I will remove it and never look back. Also I now have four used airbag struts for sale with 83K on them! Let me know if interested they are all in good shape. My email is markbmx@msn.com
Hi Mark, what vehicle were the OEM strut/spring suspension that u got from the junkyard off of? Another 04 RX330? I'm looking to do this swap myself and I'm finding 3 different Toyota part numbers (on car-part.com) for each side of the rear suspension.

Did you have to buy anything else, like strut mounts or special tools? Thanks

Last edited by sabk2001; 12-05-16 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Changed sentence
Old 12-06-16, 08:25 AM
numbafree
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dburt
your post is very helpfull .
i also am experiencing the same problem
did you use just regular struts/
I would also love to get a copy of the diagram you spoke of , if you dont mind
If it has a separate fuse, the light that blinks off for the air compresssor, I would just pull the fuse.
Old 12-29-16, 02:42 AM
Scandi
Driver School Candidate

I've done the coil over conversion from air struts. I used a kit from strutmasters...easy install, lifetime warranty and good ride.

The warning light on the dashboard is easy to disable, although it doesn't have a separate fuse. Simply pull back the instrument bezel...its only held on by plastic clips. Take out the four screws holding the instrument cluster in place and turn it over to gain access to the two wire connectors on the back. Cut and tape the white wire on pin 9 on the small connector and the warning light is permanently disabled.

Cheers!
Old 12-31-16, 01:41 PM
medtjd18
Driver School Candidate

we are experiencing issues with the right side of the car being way lower then the rest of the car. We have disconnected the battery once to have it all level out again for about 2 weeks. Just did the same thing again so did the battery trick to only have it last this time about 24 hours. Now we are needing to know what should be replaced, or looked at as we are thinking it might be the compressor height control assembly going bad, but no idea where to locate it. It is a 2004 RX330 with about 190,000 miles on it and I am not sure the time, money is worth the age and mileage of the car. Any help is very much appreciated.
Old 01-03-17, 04:05 AM
MikeRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Scandi
I've done the coil over conversion from air struts. I used a kit from strutmasters...easy install, lifetime warranty and good ride.

The warning light on the dashboard is easy to disable, although it doesn't have a separate fuse. Simply pull back the instrument bezel...its only held on by plastic clips. Take out the four screws holding the instrument cluster in place and turn it over to gain access to the two wire connectors on the back. Cut and tape the white wire on pin 9 on the small connector and the warning light is permanently disabled.

Cheers!
Is that the solution that strutmasters put in their installation manual? I was hoping that there is separate fuse for air compressor that we could disconnect and it will solve the issue. Cutting the cluster wire permanently removes the light from the dash.
Old 11-13-22, 06:57 PM
Eddyson
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by medtjd18
we are experiencing issues with the right side of the car being way lower then the rest of the car. We have disconnected the battery once to have it all level out again for about 2 weeks. Just did the same thing again so did the battery trick to only have it last this time about 24 hours. Now we are needing to know what should be replaced, or looked at as we are thinking it might be the compressor height control assembly going bad, but no idea where to locate it. It is a 2004 RX330 with about 190,000 miles on it and I am not sure the time, money is worth the age and mileage of the car. Any help is very much appreciated.
The height sensor on the problematic side would possibly not working properly. I had to rebuild the mechanical joint was totally stuck and corroded and not moving the sensor link accordingly to the vehicle height. I finished cleaning the corrosion with WD-40, and re-working joint ball to take out the corrosion, and coating broken rubber seal with poliuretan glue. Make sure to put grease to the joint prior totally sealing it with the glue. Glue is stiffer than original rubber boot, but strong and flex enough to to do the work even at -30C. I checked all four sensor's joints and had to repeat the procedure on everyone as they have being close to failing as well. No problems on air sensors science the repair happened, and it's more than a year for now.
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (11-13-22)
Old 11-13-22, 07:15 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,022 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddyson
The height sensor on the problematic side would possibly not working properly. I had to rebuild the mechanical joint was totally stuck and corroded and not moving the sensor link accordingly to the vehicle height. I finished cleaning the corrosion with WD-40, and re-working joint ball to take out the corrosion, and coating broken rubber seal with poliuretan glue. Make sure to put grease to the joint prior totally sealing it with the glue. Glue is stiffer than original rubber boot, but strong and flex enough to to do the work even at -30C. I checked all four sensor's joints and had to repeat the procedure on everyone as they have being close to failing as well. No problems on air sensors science the repair happened, and it's more than a year for now.
Hi eddyson.

Another new member!
Welcome to Club Lexus and contributing on your first post ~!
The following users liked this post:
Eddyson (11-14-22)