RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Programing garage door opener?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 03:03 PM
10suxel02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My path to remoteness

I know this is an older thread, but after putting hours into programming three different remotes, I need to share what I have learned.

I have a 2001 LS430 with the three remote buttons near the rear view mirror. I had to program three different types of garage remotes. The remote button in the LS430, the permanent, wall-mounted remote in the house and the basic hand-held remote. My garage door opener is a Sears Professional with a red "learn" button.

Here is the final process because the actual effort took two hours.

Open the main garage door, unlock the side garage door, and brace it open . Tie a LONG rope to the garage door opener track emergency release rope and run it out into the driveway . Park the Lexus inside the garage, under the garage door opener, with the sunroof open. Position yourself where you can reach both the car and garage door opener buttons.

Push and release the "learn" button on the opener, then within 30 seconds, push and hold the car remote button until it has accepted the code. Test the car button to make sure it works. Make sure the garage door is open and back your car out of the driveway and park it way down the street somewhere.

Walk back home and get your laptop next to the in-house mounted opener. If at all possible, unmount the mounted opener and carry it to the garage. Look up the instructions for this model opener and follow the instructions to program it. It says it may take two efforts to program this remote, but be ready to run threw the steps at least six times. Once the remote has been programed, test it from INSIDE the garage . When it works, take it down the street to your car and lock it inside.

Walk back to the house and get the third, basic, remote. These are easy to program so just do what you need to do to get it on line. Take the third remote and walk back down to your car. Drive your car to within ten feet of your garage door and test each remote, one by one.

Every time I programed one remote, it erased the others, I had to park the car down the street, and put the other remote with the car, to keep the garage door opener signal from reaching them. This is just one ugly process that worked for me.

Good luck !