RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Door Lock Actuator DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-17, 06:45 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hudfam
I've done this 3 times over the past 2 years. This time I had a curve ball that I need help with. Lock is once again working, but now when I lock the door, the actuator that I fixed unlocks that door. When I hit the unlock button, the door repaired locks. Any suggestions? Seems like a polarity issue, but everything went together like it came apart.

Thanks!

Don
sounds like polarity. the one I purchased is the posted picture - shows a red dot - not sure of the significance.
Attached Thumbnails RX330 Door Lock Actuator DIY-lock-motor.jpg  
Old 12-27-18, 08:51 AM
Marshall2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do these motors work on 2nd gen RX (2008)?
Old 08-20-19, 01:42 PM
mrvic
Driver School Candidate

Default RX330 passenger door stuck locked

My right front passenger door won't lock or unlock on my 2004 RX330. It is stuck locked. I can't get the lock to move. I can't get it opened to check the actuator and/or replace it. My question is does anyone know how I can get it open to get to the panel to remove it to fix?
Old 08-26-19, 08:37 AM
mrvic
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2004 RX330 and the passenger door is stuck locked. I need to get it open to change the actuator motor. Any ideas how to get it unlocked?
Old 07-09-21, 03:28 AM
Thaywood
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

New member, found the forum searching for door lock issue. Great info on the site.

My problem: the physical key turns but doesn’t unlock the door.

I replaced the lock mechanism on my son’s 2004 RX330, driver’s door. I bought a new one ($45) rather than replace the motor due to time constraints. Anyway, with these great instructions all went well and now the remote unlock works, however now the key won’t unlock the door. The key turns clockwise but does not unlock the door. It does not turn counterclockwise at all.

1. what did I miss so that the key won’t unlock the door?
2. Planning ahead, if the battery dies or I lose the remote, how could I get in the car?
Old 07-17-21, 09:09 AM
vr4/sc400
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Thaywood
1. what did I miss so that the key won’t unlock the door?
2. Planning ahead, if the battery dies or I lose the remote, how could I get in the car?
You missed the little white gear in the bottom corner of the actuator. There is a rod coming from your key lock cylinder on the door that needs be installed into the bottom corner of the actuator to make the key work.
Check out this video at the 11:35 mark:

Regards,
Actuators Plus
Old 02-10-22, 12:33 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Huge shoutout for this DIY!!!

Got'er done (in the cold) in about ~30mins. The stupid pins holding the two halves of the door lock are such a pain, but luckily I have a pick set that made it quick and easy (without breaking the clips).
I did have to file down the shaft a bit... I bought a D-shape motor, but the collar was a bit longer, it still worked with the worm-gear, so it wasn't too displaced.

I wanted to take pics, but its not very friendly, its a "coarse job" where each step is just a removal entirely... also, on these older vehicles there's quite a few diagrams out there for screw/clip locations.
Old 02-19-22, 02:13 PM
Thaywood
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door lock actuator reinstallation

Thanks for the video link. Very easy to do now that I know how the physical lock cylinder works with the locking actuator.

A few differences I found in my RX330 compared to the Toyota in the video
  1. The bolt that loosens the door lock cylinder is T30, not T25. That’s no biggie
  2. It is not necessary to remove the outside trim around the keyhole. Just loosen the cylinder bolt and slide the lock cylinder out with the trim in place. I was having trouble getting the trim to just pop off like it does in the video and was concerned it was going to break, which got me thinking that there doesn’t seem to be a reason to remove the trim, and there is not. I’m also not sure the trim would have popped off, the way it is attached it looks like the trim only comes off when the cylinder is out. So
    1. Skip removing the trim and save a step
    2. You might break the trim if you force it, so don’t even try
The trim comes off easily when the lock is out, I just don’t think it comes off with the lock in place.

Originally Posted by vr4/sc400
You missed the little white gear in the bottom corner of the actuator. There is a rod coming from your key lock cylinder on the door that needs be installed into the bottom corner of the actuator to make the key work.
Check out this video at the 11:35 mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8km-pgPIdI

Regards,
Actuators Plus
Old 03-12-24, 07:42 AM
TheTrueLiu
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't tried this yet I highly suggest it. I haven't done it personally but I installed after market e-bay actuators and the ability to open all the windows holding the unlock button no longer works. I've loaded up TIS and turned it off/on but that did not fix it.

Not the end of the world but food for thought if you were debating between this or an aftermarket unit.