RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2009 Navigation Unit is off by ~300 yards

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-11, 11:17 AM
ironmikey1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Navigation Unit is off by ~300 yards

Hi guys. I searched but didn't see anything directly in point. Here's the problem I'm having with my new (to me) 2009 RX with nav:

The Nav tells me I've arrived at my destination roughly 300 yards before I have actually arrived. Also, it tells me I'm home when I get to my development.

Anyone have a similar experience? Suggestions for a fix?

Also, are there any Nav updates that offer turn by turn spoken directions? My Nav tells me the name of certain major roads -- usually numbered hwy's -- but nothing else aside from the dings when it's time to turn.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-21-11, 11:34 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

Many of the questions you might have regarding your Lexus product may have already been discussed here in the forums. Please use the search feature to scan through the existing threads regarding your issue. Very quickly I came up with the following thread on the topic in the IS section:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...on-issues.html

You are still under warranty. Give a call to the dealer and tell them that you need to have your navigation recalibrated and explain how far off it is and that is is possibly dangerous.

Recalculating...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZXM_g3mqew
Old 12-21-11, 11:45 AM
ironmikey1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I think this isn't quite what's happening to me, though. On my GPS map my car is in the correct location. But when I come near my destination it says I'm there before I actually am. It's not that my car is being picked up in the wrong location, rather, it seems that the destinations are off. Does that make any sense?

For example: when I turn into my development it says "arriving" but on the map I'm just at the start of the development and my house is 0.2 mile away.
Old 12-21-11, 12:04 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I beleive that is on purpose to prepare you and is a way to keep the drivers attention. Happens to me as well and my car is a few years older than yours.
Old 12-21-11, 12:05 PM
ironmikey1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by infinirx
Yes I beleive that is on purpose to prepare you and is a way to keep the drivers attention. Happens to me as well and my car is a few years older than yours.
Thanks. That stinks. It's a pain when I'm ""at my destination", but in reality I might be an entire shopping center away. Bummer
Old 12-21-11, 12:11 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

As long as it is showing your current location on the screen and if it is only telling you in advance, then that is proper. All GPS do that. Some just a bit more than others.
Old 12-21-11, 12:14 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ironmikey1
Thanks. That stinks. It's a pain when I'm ""at my destination", but in reality I might be an entire shopping center away. Bummer
Why I have not been a big fan of dropping several thousand dollars on a NAV system for a vehicle. Would rather just have a portable unit costing a few hundred dollars. Sure, you get the backup camera with the Lexus system, however, you are locked into their system and their costly DVD disc upgrades. At least when new technologies come out I can just retire my current Garmin and start using the newest tech.
Old 12-21-11, 12:21 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you need to recalibrate the Nav and that should take care of your problem.....
Old 12-21-11, 12:22 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
As long as it is showing your current location on the screen and if it is only telling you in advance, then that is proper. All GPS do that. Some just a bit more than others.
The lexus Navi does it in a bit more obvious way though. I understand the complaint. However I got used to it and am fine with it now that I see the advantage.
Old 12-21-11, 02:16 PM
ironmikey1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips. I'll recalibrate (I assume there's a thread on that) and try again.

I don't really need to know I'm there when I'm actually 500 feet away. My $100 garmin just tells me I'm 500 feet away and then says "destination approaching on left" or whatever...

Oh well. I bought this car b/c of the miles (< 10k) and the price. The Nav was almost just a throw in.
Old 12-21-11, 04:33 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Navigation

On your destinations. Are these the locations way points you put in? Or from the address being typed in?

On your home. Your subdivision may be newer than your Nav Disc. And it just shows the entrance to your subdivision. On the others. It maybe the address for a strip mall. And just gets you to the building.
Old 12-22-11, 05:44 AM
ironmikey1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
On your destinations. Are these the locations way points you put in? Or from the address being typed in?

On your home. Your subdivision may be newer than your Nav Disc. And it just shows the entrance to your subdivision. On the others. It maybe the address for a strip mall. And just gets you to the building.
They're addresses I typed in. The Nav says "you have arrived at your destination; ending route guidance" but I can see that my dry cleaner, for example, is actually in the shopping center a few hundred yards away.

Re my house it's the same thing. It says I've arrived when I hit the first house in my development but I'm roughly 2/10 of a mile further in. This dev'p was built in the 1980s, so it's not an issue of being too new, I don't think. I also live in a pretty populated burb of Philly, so I'd think it's been mapped pretty well.

Basically, I just feel like the Nav's arrival info is all screwed up. The turns are fine, so it knows where the car is, but why on earth is it telling me I'm there when I'm not? It's already caused me to turn into the wrong place and drive around looking for a store that wasn't there. Pretty annoying for a piece of equipment that costs several thousand dollars
Old 12-22-11, 06:31 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My Nav usually will say "your destination is ahead on the right" or "You have arrived..." when I'm pretty close but always well before so I have tome to react safely. 300 yards is not close IMO. If this occurs all the time no matter where you travel to then I'd say there might me a calibration or antenna issue. If you live near a military installation or important government building, the GPS is dumbed down. Might this be the cause? Have you compared your system with any others to see if you live in a dumbed down area or it's your NAV at fault?
Old 12-22-11, 07:06 AM
ironmikey1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfelbab
My Nav usually will say "your destination is ahead on the right" or "You have arrived..." when I'm pretty close but always well before so I have tome to react safely. 300 yards is not close IMO. If this occurs all the time no matter where you travel to then I'd say there might me a calibration or antenna issue. If you live near a military installation or important government building, the GPS is dumbed down. Might this be the cause? Have you compared your system with any others to see if you live in a dumbed down area or it's your NAV at fault?
I'm not away of any military base etc. It sounds like I'll need to call the dealer. This is certainly not the sort of early notification I'm used to from my handheld units. This is off by quite a bit to the point where you'd be told to turn into the wrong parking lot etc.

Thanks again. This is a great forum.
Old 12-22-11, 08:32 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

One more suggestion. If you haven't viewed this tutorial you might find it of interest.

http://www.lexus.com/lexus-share/dem...Lexus_nav.html

Quick Reply: 2009 Navigation Unit is off by ~300 yards