RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

The big "To Sell or Part out and Sell or Keep" Debate.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-11, 12:57 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The big "To Sell or Part out and Sell or Keep" Debate.

I had a revelation this week after allot of thinking the prev. few weeks after the SEMA show in Vegas about my car. I am WAY to addicted to modding and distracted by it. Wis hall my financial obligations coming up after I graduate in a little over a year and with my classes kind of going south. My enthusiasm for school and stress involved with this due to just how intense it all is I think it's time to move on.

But what does that mean? I am not entirely sure. I love the RX but not the frustration of the MPG the extreme costs of modding and the potential thousands to finish the car in the way that will finish the build (about $10K). Only thing I get from it is validation of the build and some decent but not entirely gratifying exposure that seems now pretty empty.

Heh, well I don't need any lectures or for anyone to read into this too deeply. However I felt in necessary to be clear about my thoughts here before I asked for help on the car.

As of now I have a few choices.

1. Part the car out meaning selling the air/wheels/kit and so on. and sell the RX as stock.

2. Part the car out and keep it stock. Will very most difficult for me I think as the building of hte car was very sentimental.

3. keep the car as is, repair what is wrong with the air. try to sell it as a build car. Kind of hard to do as well since most want to build their own.

4. Keep going as is. impossible

My feeling are I would love to keep it and finish it in the best case scenario. Drive a second car daily But I am not in the position to do that, well at least at this time. The idea would be to get a Prius or Honda Insight. Both great cars with allot of room for my camera gear and have great MPG WOULD also get me out of the status quo. I am a bit old to be playing that game at this point since School is paramount.

Thoughts?
Old 12-05-11, 01:32 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds as though it may be time for a change, your post reads strongly that way. Don't regret what you've done to the RX, life may not allow you the opportunity to ever build one so completely again so be proud of what you have accomplished.

The easiest way would be to try to sell it as is. Of course, the hard part would be finding someone who would pay you a premium for your work. Second would be to part it our as best you can, all your stuff is top of the line and will bring top dollar.

With your mileage I would think your car is worth 15-16K, at least it would be here. It's a hard thing to give up something you've put so much of yourself in for so long but when it starts affecting your life as it seems to be doing, it's time to move on.

If it were me, I would sell the expensive bits and keep the car stock. Put the chromies back on there, keep the muffs and the shift **** and truck on down the road.
Old 12-05-11, 11:24 AM
xconcepts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you do decide to part out, hit me up about the kit/air.
Old 12-05-11, 12:07 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Are you interested in a different car? And if so, are you planning on modding that too?

Here is my conclusion, I got rid of my GS and purchased the Rx for 2 reasons, I have a huge dog, and I didn't want to spend money on modding my car.

Well low and behold I have spent a little fortune modding, nothing comparable to the GS, but it made me realize no matter what car I have, I have to make it unique and a little different because that is the way I am, and I feel that you are the exactly the same.

I would keep the car the way it is, and drive it till the wheels fall off...if you purchase another car you will spend a fortunate modding to your specifications and it ain't worth the money or hassle to start over.
Old 12-05-11, 12:14 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

I would get a Prius second or third gen, or Honda insight
Old 12-05-11, 04:02 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by infinirx
I would get a Prius second or third gen, or Honda insight
Over your Rx? Do you drive a ton of miles? Is gas prices too high?
Old 12-07-11, 04:33 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

So after talking it over with some people I trust it's decided I am parting out the car and putting back to stock and selling the RX. PM me if your interested in anything before I actually do this and put up a sale on the sellers section on the forums.

I am going to buy a Prius 3rd Gen. Has all the tech I love and I can still add some small mods to keep me going into the boring days. Nothing like crazy stuff like I did with the RX of course.
Old 12-07-11, 08:30 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

infinirx, I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision but it sounds like you'll be happy in the end. Best of luck with the sale and school. Don't be a stranger
Old 12-07-11, 10:47 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For a brief, shining moment, there was Infinirx. It's been a real pleasure watching you build your car, breathtaking it was. You elevated our humdrum forum with it's baby seat, tire and oil posts to levels unknown and allowed us to believe our cars were cool too.

You will be missed buddy, you are one of a kind.
Old 12-07-11, 02:33 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

No it's emotionally difficult. Love this car.
Old 12-07-11, 04:02 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Just to forewarn you, you will never get to close what you put into the car. There are tons of Rx's for sale, and it will be hard to recoup all the maintenance you have already done for your car.

I'm personally spending around $1800 dollars to make my car look brand new. I ran the cost of selling my car, and it is a lot cheaper for me to keep it and just drive it till the wheels fall off.
Old 12-07-11, 04:18 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

I am not as worried about that to be frank. Does not need to look brand new. I mean I have friends and we can clean it up pretty well and accept the rest. I understand your point is valid though. As of now I need to get the Air suspension OUT of the car as that has been a real thorn in my butt the past year. Gonna take it from there.
Old 12-07-11, 05:45 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

No it's emotionally difficult. Love this car.
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "happy." The way I was reading into it was that you had come to the conclusion it would be better for you to sell the RX since it was not where you wanted it to be. I'm sad to see it come to an end You definitely set the bar.
Old 12-07-11, 06:35 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I am going to buy a Prius 3rd Gen. Has all the tech I love and I can still add some small mods to keep me going into the boring days. Nothing like crazy stuff like I did with the RX of course.
Perhaps mods on the Prius that extend the range of the vehicle. Plenty of those.
Old 12-07-11, 06:37 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "happy." The way I was reading into it was that you had come to the conclusion it would be better for you to sell the RX since it was not where you wanted it to be. I'm sad to see it come to an end You definitely set the bar.
It's more a factor that I was a bit obsessive. Using funds for an empty result. Way too much money in fact. I could have gotten another RX haha! No Joke. This car was a looker and turned heads all over. But is that what's important in life? It was I guess but my classes are suffering. I think the car thing was almost a way to deal with the stress at school lol! But I can't do it anymore.

So I need to get my priorities straight. Prepare for graduating college and earning $$, not spending it. Get an RX when I have kids or something lol!

I think what is appropriate for me might be to keep the RX. But I am thinking sell it. Get the Hybrid and maybe an old 240Z or Mustang or maybe a 300Z for a project car. Separate the two.

Quick Reply: The big "To Sell or Part out and Sell or Keep" Debate.