RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 - Headlight Condensation

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 08:18 PM
adlewis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 - Headlight Condensation

I recently purchased a used 2004 RX 330. I noticed that the high beam bulb was out on the passenger side. Within a few days of purchase, a car wash and a good drive in the rain later, heavy condensation appeared inside the headlight casing. Now the low beam bulb is out as well. The low beams are the blue halogen bulbs, or so I thought. I'm now learning they are part of an HID system? I tried to simply replace the bulbs myself, but I couldn't even get inside the casing. I then started to research the problem online which is where I learned of the HId issue and how expensive it can be.

I'm not anxious to take it to a dealer and spend a fortune to have it repaired.

Are these bulbs really $160 each? Could I really be facing a replacement of the whole casing and headlight system n that side? Is a dealer my only option?

Help!
Old 11-28-11, 12:53 AM
RoverBoi88
Pole Position

well the thing is... many of us have complained about the condensation issue. it is very common on the RX and nothing has been done about it. in order to fix the bulbs on this puppy, you will have to drop the front bumper and locate all the screws for it. Its a very tricky car to deal with. In regards to the lights cost, it all depends on whats out. if you have the bluish/ white light with autofocus, then you have the HID system. When condensation gets in that, you are either looking at replacing bulbs or even the ballast that runs the bulbs to high intensity. the bulbs are like... 90$+ for a D2S bulb. if the ballast is fried, you needa look online for a new ballast or the dealer which will charge you an arm and a leg. once you get the bulbs/ballasts, id recommend resealing the whole lght fixture on your own, maybe some silicone. good luck to you!
Old 11-28-11, 06:13 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Condensation is common.

To get at the lights [HID] you need to pull the bumper and then the light.

You can get an aftermarket system for well below 160$ for a new kit. I ended up doing this when seeing what OEM costs...
Old 11-28-11, 06:33 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should have done some research before making the purchase. This is a known issue with the RX's.
Old 11-28-11, 12:28 PM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

We had this happen too but we had it replaced under warranty. Your first priority should be either sealing or replacing that headlight, if you don't you'll be going through bulbs on a monthly basis.
Old 11-28-11, 04:05 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by stunt66
We had this happen too but we had it replaced under warranty. Your first priority should be either sealing or replacing that headlight, if you don't you'll be going through bulbs on a monthly basis.
And also the ballast/igniter Not cheap!
Old 11-28-11, 04:54 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Use the "Search This forum" feature with the keyword "Condensation". This has been a much discussed problem. There is some very good information within the search results.
Old 12-24-12, 04:28 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New owner and now know about the headlight issue...

Originally Posted by adlewis
I recently purchased a used 2004 RX 330. I noticed that the high beam bulb was out on the passenger side. Within a few days of purchase, a car wash and a good drive in the rain later, heavy condensation appeared inside the headlight casing. Now the low beam bulb is out as well. The low beams are the blue halogen bulbs, or so I thought. I'm now learning they are part of an HID system? I tried to simply replace the bulbs myself, but I couldn't even get inside the casing. I then started to research the problem online which is where I learned of the HId issue and how expensive it can be.

I'm not anxious to take it to a dealer and spend a fortune to have it repaired.

Are these bulbs really $160 each? Could I really be facing a replacement of the whole casing and headlight system n that side? Is a dealer my only option?

Help!
Well, I became the proud owner of a 2004 RX 330 last week. Of course within days I took it to the car wash to shine it up and quickly became acquainted with the headlight issue. I quickly planned to do the "silicone sealer" job, but decided I did not want to get into the project during the winter here in the North-East. So I removed the DRL bulb and amber flasher bulb and dug out my air mattress inflator pump (it has a nice hose that fit right into the DRL hole). With the air pump blowing into the DRL hole and air escaping from the flasher hole, the headlight assembly dried out within 2 hours (the cool dry winter air really pulled out all the moisture). Now it is dry and clear again, and this summer I will do the full dissembley and silicone sealer fix. Just wanted to share my quick and easy "dry out" fix for any new suckers, er, owners that fall into the same trap. I really love this vehicle, it figures there had to be something like this to mess things up...
Old 03-28-14, 01:53 PM
zippiwatch
Driver School Candidate

Default 2005 Lexus RX330 Headlights

Hi Everyone. I just got my 2005 Lexus RX330 back from the dealership. I had a lot of moisture in my headlights and was told I would have to wait until they stopped working before Lexus would do the work. They stated Lexus was trying to handle customers who had headlights out first. After my third visit for service my headlight actually exploded while they were looking at it. I got both headlights replaced for free and I was also given a rental car to drive while they where working on the vehicle. My AFS was flashing on the dash before I had the lights replaced. Now no flashing light (AFS) anymore. My automatic lights work like they did the day I purchased the vehicle. Super nice dealership and worked very hard for me. Always treated with care and honor. Jim Hudson Lexus in Columbia SC can be proud of their Service Personnel. Always get my vehicle serviced there. Car is almost 10 years old and no problems. I plan on keeping the vehicle until the wheels fall off or someone offers me stupid money for it. It drives like new and no rattles or squeaks or complaints. Super Car.