RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Low Tire pressure warning light still on after reset

Old 11-20-11, 08:04 PM
jrs21c
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Tire pressure warning light still on after reset

As title says, it's getting cold even in Atlanta. So I thought the warning light was perfectly normal.
BTW 2008 RX350 with 52k mile.

Checked the tire pressure and was around 31psi, so pumped to 35 ish after running 10 min or so thinking it should be good enough. After driving back home, the lights are still on.
I double checked tire pressures and they are between 35 and 35.5 psi still.
So I reset the warning light, and it the light won't go away.
I think the owner's manual said, if it blinks for one min and stays on, then there's a problem in the sensor.

When I start, it blinks once, then stays on.
If I reset it, it blinks three times and stays on.

Can you please help what I should do next?

I did replace tires about a year ago at the local tire shop, but I don't think it was their fault, as I think the warning light worked fine last winter.

Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-20-11, 08:29 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What about the spare tire did you check the pressure there as well? it usually is the problem.
Old 11-20-11, 11:04 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tpms

jrs21c
Welcome to Clublexus. Just a couple of tips for you and any other new members.

Search Google prior to posting any questions. If you have no luck.

Use the search function on Clublexus. It is outstanding.

Every question you could possibly think of asking. Ever. Has already been answered.

If your looking into how your car operates. The owners manual for your car is online at this Lexus web site.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

It also has a great search functions.

If after all this you have no luck. And want to start a new topic. State which type of car and equipment you have installed. For example the year. Is it a 330 or 350. FWD or AWD. Is it a Lexus that was sold in the states or overseas. Mark Levinson or Premium Stereo. Navigation. Rear Entertainment. Does the system work and your only getting a warning. Things like that.

On your Tire Pressure Monitor System. 99 percent of the time it comes on it is the low pressure on the spare tire. So first things first.

Go to a gas station and pull up to the air compressor. Drop the spare tire so you can get to the air valve.

Using the tire gauge. Service all 5 tires to 30 PSI. Pull the spare tire back up inside.

Get in your car and turn your key to ACC. Thats where power is on. But the engine isn't started.

Press and hold for a few seconds the TPMS button underneath your drivers side dash. Its all the way under your steering wheel.

Start your car. And give it a minute. If the light goes out. You're good to go.

If it is still on. Or comes back on later. You may have a broken sensor and need to go to the dealer.

Good luck and welcome to Club Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
Wildcat58 (11-20-18)
Old 11-20-11, 11:05 PM
MC5Wes

Default YPMS Button

Here is the button under the dash.
Attached Thumbnails Low Tire pressure warning light still on after reset-tpms.jpg  
Wildcat58 (11-20-18)
Old 11-21-11, 05:17 AM
jrs21c
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone so much.. I did google it but could not find it.. probably used wrong words to search. And thanks for not laughing at my face even though I asked a very common question. I undetstand how this kind of questions can annoy you but you all stayed calm and gentle.. I really appreciate that.. Thanks again and Ill check the spare tire this evening. thanks agaon!
Old 11-21-11, 12:07 PM
MC5Wes

Default Clublexus

JRS21C
Not a problem. In the future you don't need to search right away. Just spend a few minutes looking at all the topics on this forum. And you will see your questions answered.

Also don't limit yourself to just this forum. I saved over 800 dollars on my extended warranty purchase. Saw a name and phone number for Toyota salesman who also sells Lexus warranty's on the GS Forum.
Old 11-22-11, 12:14 PM
RMB350
Driver

Welcome! I'm not sure of the model year in the posted picture, however my 2007 does not have those buttons under the dash. My light is on right now and I know I have the appropriate pressure in all four tires.

The spare has not been checked and is most likely the culprit for me. Probably is for you too.

This happens to me every year. Good luck and enjoy your Lexus!
Old 11-22-11, 04:12 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RMB350
Welcome! I'm not sure of the model year in the posted picture, however my 2007 does not have those buttons under the dash.
My 2007 does have the buttons as pictured under the dash (driver's side). It's way down and back on the under wrap of the dash. Get your head down by the brake pedal and look up. Also, the dummy blank button on the left has a "open door" courtesy light there on the 2007.
Old 11-23-11, 03:04 AM
MC5Wes

Originally Posted by RMB350
Welcome! I'm not sure of the model year in the posted picture, however my 2007 does not have those buttons under the dash. My light is on right now and I know I have the appropriate pressure in all four tires.

The spare has not been checked and is most likely the culprit for me. Probably is for you too.

This happens to me every year. Good luck and enjoy your Lexus!
My RX is a 2007. And ive driven a few second generation RXs. And all of them have the buttons.

Depending on the options you have installed. It is way up underneath the steering wheel. If you are sitting in the drivers seat. You cant see them. And might not be able to feel them.

When I reset mine. I have the door open and my elbow on the floor mat. Just to make sure I am pressing the right one.
Old 11-24-11, 05:47 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainbird
What about the spare tire did you check the pressure there as well? it usually is the problem.
I agree with Rainbird, check the spare tire. I have this issue every time the weather makes a dramatic change. I've took the suggestion of one member here that stated, look on the side of the tire and find out the maximum psi of what the spare tire can hold and fill it up to that. So that it will take longer time to drop down past 30 psi.
Old 11-26-11, 01:48 PM
jrs21c
Driver School Candidate

Just checked the spare tire, and it was only at 23psi. So, problem solved.
For some reason, I thought resetting will 'reset' the threshold and won't be a problem.
I guess I was wrong. Anyways, the problem is solved and thanks for being soooo kind.
Glad I joined the club.

Thanks again

JRS
Old 01-21-15, 04:13 PM
bradomo
Driver School Candidate

Default sensors

I took my Lexus RX350 2007 to a dealer. 3 out of 5 sensors were bad and needed replacing. $100 each plus labor. Over $480 quote. So I really hope the buttons are under the dash. Thanks poster above. The button didn't do anything for me except slow the flashing to 1 per second where before it was 2 per second. symbol is still on

Last edited by bradomo; 01-21-15 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-28-15, 12:38 PM
AussieAuto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jrs21c, Lower all (5) pressures to approx 28psi, press and hold the reset button, after it flashes 3 times it will reset thresholds (lower pressure) then they will be set to approx 23 psi. After this you can set all your pressures back up to 33-34 psi and spare to 40+ psi. You should not have any more problems...
Old 06-12-16, 04:16 PM
Jeri
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire pressure light

I drove around with my tire pressure light on for probably a year. No one could figure it out till just the other day. There is another reset button under the glove compartment that must have gotten accidentally bumped. It has to do with detecting tire pressure in secondary set of tires if you take factory ones off and put others on. Anyway, push that button to reset.
skihawaii6 (08-01-18)
Old 06-13-16, 03:45 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you can get the OEM sensors from Rockauto for about $40 shipped, and PepBoys will install and program them for about $20 a wheel. A "slight" savings over the dealer cost!

Originally Posted by bradomo
I took my Lexus RX350 2007 to a dealer. 3 out of 5 sensors were bad and needed replacing. $100 each plus labor. Over $480 quote. So I really hope the buttons are under the dash. Thanks poster above. The button didn't do anything for me except slow the flashing to 1 per second where before it was 2 per second. symbol is still on
gwhizofmdr (11-27-19)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low Tire pressure warning light still on after reset