RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

My mechanic doesn't want me to buy an RX

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-11, 01:21 PM
Bopper
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My mechanic doesn't want me to buy an RX

I've been a Lexus fan for years. My sister and brother both drive '01 LX 470s that they love, and my mom was heartbroken last month when she totaled her '96 ES300. I'm ready to buy, and in the market for a used, low mileage '07-'09 RX350. My mechanic is urging me not to do it, saying that the technology is too advanced and it's driving repair costs through the roof. I'm having a hard time believing that the technology is that much more advanced than a new Acura or Honda (which I also love, but not as much as the RX). And I've seen the reliability of my family's Lexuses, which is certainly miles ahead of the '04 Murano I'm about to dump. Any insights from current RX owners? Is the RX350 as good a car as I think it is, or would I be buying into trouble?
Old 11-20-11, 01:46 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

Perhaps it is time to find a new mechanic. There is nothing in a 2007 Lexus RX350 that is not in a comparable Toyota Highlander.

If you want to keep servicing costs down or reasonable, you will find no problems in taking your RX to the local Toyota shop for its service needs. Many Toyota shops also now have quick lube services, so you do not even need to make an appointment for what will amount to most of your service needs.

A quality used second generation RX350 would make a good purchase. If you want to stay away from all the technology, you can easily find models without NAV and HID headlights.

Of course, as with any purchase you will want to make sure you check the service history, etc. Search the forums threads here on recent topics where individuals were asking about what to look for in a used purchase. There have been many.
Old 11-20-11, 02:39 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some mechanics do that when they know you're buying a car that doesn't have much servicing needs, like my old one when I bought my Camry. I found someone else
Old 11-20-11, 02:43 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

the other problem i found was that when it comes to using book times, Lexus isnt always listed for everything. so they end up using the closest comparable vehicle, in our case the highlander. and in some cases, the mechanic CAN lose money.

that and since there arent alot of them, they arent familiar with them.
Old 11-20-11, 05:23 PM
Sandhopper
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy another RX in a heartbeat... What I can't fix myself the Toyota dealer takes care of just fine. I am 100% satisfied with my RX 330 with 125K on the clock. I can't imagine the 3.5 liter being overly technological from a maintenance stand point. I have actually been thinking about picking up another RX for my wife to run around town in to keep miles off our burban.
Old 11-20-11, 06:24 PM
koric
Driver

He wants you to buy an x5 or land rover so it can spend more time in his shop than your driveway.
Old 11-20-11, 08:56 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by koric
He wants you to buy an x5 or land rover so it can spend more time in his shop than your driveway.
I agree and second the thought.
Old 11-20-11, 09:06 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

these things require nothing but gas & oil changes.

In the few years my dad's owned his [now over 75k miles, 2004] it needed a wheel bearing... On top of maintenance, Timing belt, trans. fluid change, etc.
Old 11-21-11, 05:39 PM
Bopper
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you all so much. Confirming what I suspected. He's a good mechanic -- I've known his family since I was a kid, and I trust him to be honest. But he's got blinders where the Lexus is concerned, for some reason. Not gonna stop me from getting the car I want! And my sister's got a Toyota mechanic she loves . . . so, there ya go!

I'll be back after I buy!
Old 11-22-11, 11:49 PM
willyb0b
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too advanced? That's a bad thing?

Sounds like he wants you to buy a car he can continue to work on to keep your business. I'd get a new mechanic.
Old 11-23-11, 12:27 AM
Emilaman
Driver

Dude, i had 2000RX, now i have 2004 RX, i hope i will get a newer one. This cars are great.

As mentioned above, its time to get new mechanic or you don't need one with this Lexus.
Old 11-23-11, 02:27 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm going out on a limb on this one and say that I agree with the mechanic. I'm beginning to think that some cars now are probably on the "razor and blade" business model.

I hope cars were simpler. Of course, I'd like my seat warmers for the Canadian winters. But I don't need headlights that follow the road, for example.

I wouldn't mind leapfrogging certain incremental improvements and get to the car that can drive me while I work on my laptop during the commute.
Old 11-23-11, 02:52 PM
philz
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He doesn't want you to buy a Lexus because he'll go out of business... lol

You should ask him... whether you should buy a Mercedes or BMW instead... then get back to us.
Old 11-23-11, 04:13 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

How about a Ford or Chevy? I am sure they will get plenty of work from those

But on another note I know how hard it can be to find a decent mechanic and one you trust. I would not throw him away but realize that at times one must move on. For the RX you are looking at oil changes, brakes, fluids and the timing belt is about 90 to 100K. Plugs and I think tranny fluids at about 120K.

Only thing is the TSB's and recalls. Seems pretty regular but Lexus is really nitpicking it after the bad rap a while ago. So little things like a plug in the interior they are changing. It's really actually quite good to see.
Old 11-23-11, 05:38 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

He probably want's you to buy a German car, so he can keep some food on the table for his family...

All jokes aside, the RX is a great SUV. Extremely reliable, safe and a comfortable ride. You won't regret it!

Quick Reply: My mechanic doesn't want me to buy an RX