RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 12-16-14, 11:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

parking brake pad replace?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-11, 06:43 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default parking brake pad replace?

Searching the forum, but did not find much about how to replace the parking brake pads. Had the rotor off, have the pads in hand, but was staring at all the springs and gizmos, and could not quite figure out how to do it. Any good step by step instructions anywhere?

Also, where is the parking brake cable adjustment screw? Is it buried under the center console glove box (and you adjust it from inside of the car), like on toyota avalons?

2007 rx350
Old 11-19-11, 07:02 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

The brake shoes are not easy to replace.

Was there enough liming on the pads?

The system is supposed to auto-adjust.

Not so long ago, a member posted a page, that you can use as guide, but I must forewarn you that the set up is kept in place by springs. If you are not mechanically inclined, you may not be able to put it back.

You can let the system auto-adjust by repeated brake application and release (make sure your pedal travels to the max).

Search on key word 'start nut'

Salim
Old 11-19-11, 07:08 PM
biff44
Instructor

Looking at the pads, there seems to be maybe 15% of the pad left compared to the new ones. So, yes, I need to replace them.

I know what you mean. Staring at the sprngs and adjusters....made my brain hurt! But...it is not different than what replacing drum brake pads was back in the day, and people did that all the time DIY. We are getting too soft!

They must have been draging a little, and the self adjustment kept them draging enough to wear them down.

The E brakes do not work at all right now.
Old 11-19-11, 07:23 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Not sure if this helps any...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...placement.html
Old 11-20-11, 08:41 AM
salimshah

If you know what you are doing, dont let me discourage you.

Few things that eager folks forget to do is cover their nose/mouth and use vacuum to suck up the dust.

Yes it is the old classic self adjust drum brakes. Nothing special about them being on Lexus.

At the end when you assemble, you need to visually recognize every thing is fine, as all gets hidden once you slide the drum on.

There are special tools for the drum brakes, but you can wing it with long screwdrivers (for leverage) and my favorite electrician pliers. Rubber mallet is essential to knock the drum to settle every thing inside.

Salim
Old 11-20-11, 11:15 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The self adjust mechanism never seems to do a damn thing in my experience. While it is 'supposed' to allow for brake pad wear, it does nothing for cable stretch, and I find it doesn't do much for pad wear anyway. I'm not even sure it is self adjusting, as the 'star' wheel can be manually adjusted.

You will need to adjust the 'star' wheel at the parking brake mechanism itself so that the pads are just backed off from dragging. Then you will need to adjust the mechanism at the parking brake pedal inside, till you are within the recommened number of 'clicks' for the parking brake to hold. I believe that this adjustment is for cable stretch.

I would suggest doing one side at a time, so you can refer to the one that's not disassembled if you need to.

I just did my parking brakes, and had to buy a kit with all the springs and doohickies, even though all I needed was the star adjuster, as one of mine had seized solid, and I couldn't turn it to adjust it.

Have a look here for some detailed instructions

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...djustment.html

Last edited by rcy; 11-20-11 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-20-11, 11:47 AM
biff44
Instructor

Thanks,

So the adjustment for the cable tension is right at the foot pedal mechanism.

I had one rotor off and everything looked ok/unseized. I could turn the star nut with my fingers. Was not sure exactly how to get the old pads off, though, seemed to be held on by a spring with a top-hat washer.

I did find some clues here:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=328341

Last edited by biff44; 11-20-11 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-20-11, 06:33 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

At least one step needed to remove the pads is the removal of the shim and the C washer, as they are called in that toyotanation diagram.
Old 11-20-11, 11:34 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by rcy
The self adjust mechanism never seems to do a damn thing in my experience. While it is 'supposed' to allow for brake pad wear, it does nothing for cable stretch, and I find it doesn't do much for pad wear anyway. I'm not even sure it is self adjusting, as the 'star' wheel can be manually adjusted.

You will need to adjust the 'star' wheel at the parking brake mechanism itself so that the pads are just backed off from dragging. Then you will need to adjust the mechanism at the parking brake pedal inside, till you are within the recommened number of 'clicks' for the parking brake to hold. I believe that this adjustment is for cable stretch.

I would suggest doing one side at a time, so you can refer to the one that's not disassembled if you need to.

I just did my parking brakes, and had to buy a kit with all the springs and doohickies, even though all I needed was the star adjuster, as one of mine had seized solid, and I couldn't turn it to adjust it.

Have a look here for some detailed instructions

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...djustment.html
The star-nut was seized and thus the auto adjustment was not working for you. Good job finding the problem and fixing it.

Salim
Old 11-21-11, 07:28 AM
FZ6 Dude
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I failed the state inspection for not having a holding parking brake. I took everything apart this morning to see if the start was just backed-off too far, but then saw that the shoes were shot. Therefore, I’m getting ready to tackle the parking brake shoe swap in the next day or so. Although the toyatanation link shows how to do this job for a Toyota, I expect it to be very similar for the RX330. Has anyone actually done this on their RX330?
Old 11-21-11, 11:10 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

salimshah, are you sure that the parking brake is self adjusting. I know that regular drum brakes are, but having looked extensively at my components, I see no way that the star nut can turn without manual intervention (i.e. me turning it myself).

If you look at the toyotanation diagram (which looks very similar to the system in my RX400h) from the earlier link (which I've posted below), you will see the 'parking brake shoe lever'. Compare this to the other diagram that I'm posting here ("Typical Drum Brake Parts), and you will see an additional component = the 'adjusting lever' which we don't have on our parking brake system, as it's not a full function drum brake, but a parking brake inside a rotor.
Attached Thumbnails parking brake pad replace?-brake_drum_parts.gif   parking brake pad replace?-toyota_sequoia_rear_parkingbrake_assy07.jpg  

Last edited by rcy; 11-22-11 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-21-11, 11:47 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Um, why would they ever need replacing if their only used for parking? It`s not like they are active (for breaking) breaks? Unless you drive around with them half engaged or something.
Old 11-21-11, 01:51 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Damn good question. Behind the second owner of my RX, I can't speak for the previous owner, but the pads were worn down and the hat of the rotor (where the pads grab) were deeply grooved.

However, other people are posting with a need to replace the pads, so there must be some reason the pad wear...

Maybe they are 'slightly' touching due to design?

The more I look at the diagrams I posted, the more I'm sure that they are not self adjusting.
Old 11-22-11, 01:30 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Just an update. I don't believe there is any self adjusting feature on our parking brakes.

Now, referring to the diagram from toyotanation, to remove the pads here's what I did...(after spraying liberally with brake cleaner) Needle nose pliers or needle nose vice grips are very very very handy.

1. Remove the shoe return springs. This will allow the shoes to pull apart a little bit.
2. The shoe strut and shoe strut spring should now be able to come out
3.. Remove the cup, the shoe hold down spring and the other cup on the left hand side shoe (front shoe). You have to push the cup in against the spring and turn it a half turn to disengage it from the "pin" You must push the cup down far enough so you can turn it - you 'll see little prongs on the pin..these are what your are trying to disengage from when you turn the cup a half turn.

This shoe should now flop down on it's own and you'll see that it's connected to the other shoe by the 'tension spring' Slip the shoe from the tension spring and it should now be released. One thing I don't remember from my system is the 'anchor spring'.

The right side (rear) is the same with one additional step. After removing the cup, the shoe hold down spring and the other cup, you also need to remove the shim and the C washer.. This will then allow the right hand shoe to be removed from the parking brake shoe lever.

Installation (I love saying this) is the reverse of removal. Lol. Sounds easy, but getting those cups and shoe hold down springs on are maddening. The "pins" that the cup mounts on keep sliding backward. What I did was jammed a suitable sized screwdriver behind the pin (behind the metal splash shield, to stop it from moving back as I attempted to put on the cup.

Like removal, you have to push the cup down on the spring so that it's far enough on the pin so you can turn it half a turn to lock it into place.

On our system, you'll notice the head of a bolt behind where the front shoe sits. This bolt is holding the splash shield on I think. Anyway, make sure your shoe is on top of this bolt or towards the front of the car from it, or that shoe will not be able to move 'out' to push against the inside of the rotor hat. I found this out after tinkering for 1/2 hour wondering why only one shoe (the rear) was moving.

Next time I do this, I'll take pictures, but there is no way I'm taking all that crap apart again until after winter, when I always clean an lube everything after four months of salt/water.
Old 11-22-11, 01:46 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I am confused, we all have disc brakes in the rear. Are they just discussing a rear drum brake?

Quick Reply: parking brake pad replace?