RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Valve Gasket Cover DIY RX330

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-17, 08:06 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

You can do it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9798142
Old 03-11-17, 08:14 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

I just PMed you Jer
Old 07-27-17, 12:15 PM
ashleeu21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half moon seal?

I had my valve cover gasket replaced by a mechanic and when I took it to Lexus to have an oil change they said the previous mechanic did not seal it right with the half moon seals. The mechanic said he has not heard of this...so you know if this is correct when you did your replacement?
Old 07-27-17, 08:14 PM
JoeInHNL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ashleeu21
I had my valve cover gasket replaced by a mechanic and when I took it to Lexus to have an oil change they said the previous mechanic did not seal it right with the half moon seals. The mechanic said he has not heard of this...so you know if this is correct when you did your replacement?
There are six spots on each cylinder head that require the application of some RTV (Lexus calls it seal packing) prior to installing the valve cover. If your mechanic did not do that then the new covers may leak. It is obvious where the RTV needs to be applied since the old sealant will be visible when the valve cover is removed. The use of RTV is detailed in both the factory service manual and the Haynes manual.
Old 02-25-18, 10:44 PM
leroyjnav
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question What is RTV? and where can I get it from?

I am replacing my VC gaskets and saw your post about applying RTV, can you please tell me what that is, and where I can buy it?
Thank you.
Old 02-27-18, 06:37 AM
BadDogMax
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve cover gasket sealant

Originally Posted by leroyjnav
I am replacing my VC gaskets and saw your post about applying RTV, can you please tell me what that is, and where I can buy it?
Thank you.
I just replaced the front gasket this weekend, and used Permatex 85409 Ultra Rubber Gasket Sealant And Dressing. It is grey, got it at the auto parts store.

I did not need to drain the coolant, as there was plenty of room under the coolant hose to get the valve cover out on my car.

Hardest part was getting the old spark plug tube seals out. They disintegrated and had to be chiseled out a piece at a time. Not difficult, just time consuming. That and cleaning up any brown stuff that was stuck to the sealing surfaces. I used a whole can of brake cleaner spray.

Results: no leaks! I used the Felpro gasket set with spark plug seals from the auto parts store.
Note that the torque on the bolts is really low - my torqure wrench did not go down that low, I had to estimate by hand.

RX330 valve cover off
The following users liked this post:
JBSGROUP (10-12-23)
Old 02-27-18, 11:05 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

I did this job and I did not touch the half moons. They looked solid.
What was the torque on the valve cover bolts.
The rear bolts were very hard for me to get too.
I did not put one of the large bolts back on the plenum.
I am doing this job again in 3 weeks hopefully I can get that bolt in
Old 02-27-18, 08:59 PM
BadDogMax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TriniLex
What was the torque on the valve cover bolts.
53 in/lbs, or about 6 ft lbs.
Old 02-28-18, 03:55 PM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Received 210 Likes on 170 Posts

Ah, 12" per ft, so 53/12 not equal to 6, just in case anyone tries to go with 6...
Old 02-28-18, 11:00 PM
leroyjnav
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you going to try to replace the rear VC gasket? Thanks for the picture and the info!
Old 03-03-18, 05:50 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

JBSGROUP (10-12-23)
Old 03-03-18, 05:53 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Pics Above

This is my 2nd RX330 valve job.
I am still having problems with the plenum bolts
Any suggestions when putting them back together.. Should I try from underneath?

My 2nd time experience.

1. I placed labeled bolts in bags this time
2. I made sure to mark vacuum hoses.
3. I had a catch towel to absorb all the coolant
4. I placed the tube seals in the proper direction (see picture..The 2 on the right in the picture is the correct direction)
5. I removed the TB and the right Plenum bracket from the plenum and the engine so there was more room at the back.
6. I removed the wire harness nut holding the wire harness on the right of the engine (this helps when removing the rear valve cover

Problems the 2nd time around
1. Driver wiper did not want to come off. So I had to remove the plastic cowel/arm assembly with arm in one piece (I was able to get my under the cowel to remove the bolt
2. I broke the middle coil pack clip (it just broke apart. I hope it can stay in somehow) Anyone know if I can replace just that one?

Other Tips on removing rear valve cover
The far right bolt can be removed with an extension and a 10mm socket (no problem)
The far left bolt can be removed with a flex socket wrench and an extension
Also I attached a picture how to use the pliers to bend the tabs on the tube seal
The middle two bolts can be removed with the stubby ratchet 10mm

attached are some pictures showing the half moons which I left alone.
In one pic you can see towards the middle I have some sort of carbon build up?? I just scraped it of? Is it carbon or is this considered sludge?
JBSGROUP (10-12-23)
Old 04-19-18, 11:59 AM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TriniLex
2. I broke the middle coil pack clip (it just broke apart. I hope it can stay in somehow) Anyone knows if I can replace just that one?

Yes, you can replace just the plastic housing. They are available on Amazon but be prepared to wait about three weeks. They are coming from China. You will have to remove the white plastic from the old black housing. Just grab the white plastic with needle nose plier and give it a thug. In order to remove the old one, you will have to depress a tang to release the wire. I found out that the old plastic is so brittle that you can just take a small X-acto knife and break off the tang, this will allow the wire to slide out. Take a picture before taking the wire out so that you will replace them in the same order. You will not need to remove the white plastic in the new housing.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Audiqv8; 04-19-18 at 12:13 PM.
JBSGROUP (10-12-23)
Old 05-12-19, 11:58 PM
mdayo
Driver School Candidate

I did my rear valve cover gasket this weekend. PIA and I'd bring it to a shop next time.

The bolts holding the intake manifold were knuckle busters. Might have been avoided had I taken off the wiper cowl. Accessed the two middle bolts from underneath the car. Had difficulty removing and placing the valve cover, ended up removing the 10mm bolt on the wire bundle (that attaches to the valve cover basket) - looking at the engine from the top, follow it to the right / drivers side. The bolt is underneath the wire bundle.