RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

windshield crack

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-11, 06:26 PM
kuangmao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield crack

my windshield got hit by little rock in the highway, and it crack.............
about the nail size, in the lower right.

I wonder will car insurance companies replace the windshield even though i dont have full insurance? I heard that windshield is coverd in basic.

And my wiper blade is automatic (I dont know will is the sensor located), I wonder it will still be automatic after replace the windshield.
Thank you

Last edited by kuangmao; 11-03-11 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-02-11, 06:41 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by kuangmao
my windshield got hit by little rock in the highway, and it crake.............

I wonder will car insurance companies replace the windshield even though i dont have full insurance? I heard that windshield is coverd in basic.

And my wiper blade is automatic (I dont know will is the sensor located), I wonder it will still be automatic after replace the windshield.
Thank you
Many insurance companies will cover the cost of a chip repair for free. Check with your agent ASAP. If the chip is not too large and you have it corrected quickly the repair will be nearly invisible and will last indefinitely. Most come with a lifetime warranty.

In the mean time put a piece of mending tape over the crack to keep dirt and moisture from getting in.
Old 11-02-11, 07:39 PM
kuangmao
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Many insurance companies will cover the cost of a chip repair for free. Check with your agent ASAP. If the chip is not too large and you have it corrected quickly the repair will be nearly invisible and will last indefinitely. Most come with a lifetime warranty.

In the mean time put a piece of mending tape over the crack to keep dirt and moisture from getting in.
chip repair ????
Old 11-02-11, 07:51 PM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine repaired bacj in July when I completed a 5000miles trip to natinal parks. The crack was about a nail size and the repair was perfect. YOu don;t even notice it at all after the repair. The rain sensor is at the middle top of the windshield you can see a meshed ares there. My crack was at the middle bottom so the repair work doesn;t impact the rain sensor at all.

I have fill insurance so that the repair is fully covered. Get it done ASAP before temp goes down.
Old 11-02-11, 08:07 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

chip repair ????
http://www.safelite.com/
Old 11-03-11, 05:51 AM
jfelbab

chip repair ????
Small cracks and chips can be repaired and it's usually safer than having the whole windshield replaced. I've heard of cracks as large a 3-4 inches being repaired in this manner. The process drills a small hole or two to relieve any tendency for the crack to enlarge and uses a tool to evacuate all the air. Next a thin liquid resin is added which is sucked into the crack/chip then hardens. The pressure is relieved so the chip or crack usually will not expand and the resin makes it disappear. Works quite well and as I mentioned, most insurance companies cover this at no cost.

New OEM windshields can cost over a grand to replace.

Last edited by jfelbab; 11-03-11 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-03-11, 09:49 AM
Benzat17
Rookie

where is a good windshield repair shop around the Detroit area in Michigan? does anybody know?
thank you
Old 11-03-11, 10:00 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by Benzat17
where is a good windshield repair shop around the Detroit area in Michigan? does anybody know?
thank you
Most will come to you. I believe the largest is Safelite. Check with your insurer for a list of companies they have not had issues with.
Old 11-03-11, 10:58 AM
RMB350
Driver

If they do have to replace the windshield, I believe it is heated where the wipers rest. Make sure that the repair tech installs it correctly.
I had a Toyota Highlander with a heated windshield which needed replaced. To save time, the tech cut the leads and installed the glass without me knowing it. Found out a few years later when it needed replaced again.
It's more difficult to install correctly as the cowl needs to be removed to get to the wires.

Good luck and call your insurance company now!
Old 11-03-11, 11:07 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had my windshield repaired for free by my insurance company. This week on my way to Vegas some one threw out there window a nice heavy metal object. Amazingly the windshield only cracked. First visit was a repair and he told me I was going to still see the crack a bit. So $100 deductible and a few hrs wait and new windshield was on. Most of these guys from the national window repair/replacement companies are pretty knowledgeable and he took everything off and put it back on correctly.

In fact it was dam right one of the easiest car related mountains into mole hills I have ever had.
Old 11-03-11, 01:49 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

my windshield got hit by little rock in the highway, and it crack.............

Thank you
Automatic wipers use the rain sensing device. It is this device that need to be re-installed properly. I have heard of issues on this when the repair people do not do what is required.
Old 11-03-11, 05:52 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^^Gonna have to check it then. The wiper sensing devise is located on the top where the rear view mirror is. It can actually be manually triggered actually.
Old 11-05-11, 10:10 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah my auto rain sensor is all wacky and my AC kind of was all warm for a while today till I made it below 70. Grrrrr and there is definitely a new air leak some where. Guess I need another visit for them to fix it.